Good News - CBP 1650 NiMH's

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good News - CBP 1650 NiMH\'s

I got my three EL 3 to D Adapters today and my 1650's fit!!! I was concerned that they may be too snug but now I could at least put those concerns to rest.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Good News - CBP 1650 NiMH\'s

Ah.. now.. the holders may have more resistance than the batteries themselves. Are they the new version or the old.

Take Care.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Dukester, posted in another thread that he had just recently received his 3toD's from Elektrolumens. That would be the new version.

Bill

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes Bill, I believe it is the newer version. Looks like it is made out of PVC.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well.... try and play safe yah? No magical 20 amp loads right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Duke,

Could you give me a precise measurement of the length and diameter of your CBP1650s?

Wilkey

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast

I will Wilkey - Look for measurements later in the day... I used to have Calipers but I will be damned if I can't find them. I will borrow a friend of mine's calipers to get an acurate reading...

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wilkey,

With the shrink wrap still on, the diameter is .565" and the length is 1.941". The shrink wrap is of a similar thickness to the wrap on a KAN 1800 4/5A.

udaman

Banned

[ QUOTE ]
js said:
Wilkey,

With the shrink wrap still on, the diameter is .565" and the length is 1.941". The shrink wrap is of a similar thickness to the wrap on a KAN 1800 4/5A.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks js,

Man that really sucks! Mike told me they were the same diameter as the lower capacity cells, so his website has it all wrong listing 0.55in! Big time error in measurement!

Hmm, can js take the shrink wrap off and measure that? Maybe the shrink wrap is extra thick, and we could put on a substitute, otherwise it's definitely a no go for 4 across M*gD-cell applications /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif .

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
js said:
Wilkey,

[/ QUOTE ]

Got the same measurements with the shrink wrap. At least we are consistant...

udaman

Banned

[ QUOTE ]
Dukester said:
[ QUOTE ]
js said:
Wilkey,

[/ QUOTE ]

Got the same measurements with the shrink wrap. At least we are consistant...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so annoying/frustrating. I had more than one e-mail to Mike about this issue, pointing out the fact that most of the newer higher capacity 2300ma+ consumer cells were getting these higher capacities by increasing the diameter of the cells, with concurrent reduction of ability to supply higher current loading. Seems this cell is taking the same route as far as increasing capacity, but this is a huge jump in size compared to all of the other AA's listed on CBP's site as being 0.55in in diameter.

FYI, metric conversion:
1. 0.55in = 13.97mm, very easy fit into D-cell body 4 across.

2. 0.56in = 14.224mm or about the same that waion measured for the new Sanyo 2500ma AA's he obtained (waion is in Hong Kong, so what gets shipped to the USA could be different). Tight fit in some M*g D-cells, but should fit most as my inaccurate calipers show the tight fitting Lenmar NoMem Pro 2300ma at 14.25, while the same measure on the Energizer 2300ma will not fit in my M*g2D, YMMV. See waion's post#812362 in fivemega's GB thread: 2nd Run 9.6 Volt UnRegulated 8AA to 2D adapter

3. 0.565in = 14.351; 14.30mm is almost not possible to fit, so barring lucky people who have bigger inside diameter M*gD-cell bodies, these cannot fit 4 across /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. Boring out the M*g body for that extra 0.05+mm is an expensive solution.

theepdinker

Enlightened

udaman,
All is not lost.
Remove your switch unit & run a 2" flap sander on a common drill bit extension through the barrel.
It shouldn't take much time to hone out the bore .010".
It's a cheap fix too.

Theepdinker