why most all dogs falow me

raggie33

*the raggedier*
man another dog followed me home!!!why must they do this?i cant take care of him

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
They sense kindness.

Or, it's a dog-eat-dog world and you are wearing pork chop scented cologne.

Topper

Flashaholic*
Most grown ups do not like me but kids dogs and cats seem to seek me out for some reason. We had a kid knock on the door years ago wanting to know if we had a kid he could play with my wife told him we did not have any He says "OK can your husband come out to play?" she said "sure i'll go get him" we played till his folks got home hours later. I had a talk with his mom and dad and they stopped leaving him alone,I raised white German Sheperds at the time and the puppies were to hard to resist for a seven year old to walk 1/4 mile to get there. I still get hugs in stores from kids I knew from watching and teaching Sunday school for the three and four year olds makes my son (13) jealous that the young adults like me "Gee Dad you must have been a good guy before I was born" he means it in the nicest possible way. I hate to admit sometimes I do not remeber the kids
and shocked that they remember me.
Topper

Greta

Flashaholic
I have one cocker spaniel who rarely gets seen by anyone entering my house. She immediately goes and hides in my bedroom and will not show herself until they are long gone... then she goes and barks at the door as if to say, "And don't come back!"...
teeth.gif

My daughter came home a few months ago with her new roommate... a girl named Diane. Diane came in the house and was there all of maybe 60 seconds when Tsarina came out of the bedroom and actually came within 3 feet of Diane. Diane didn't make a fuss of it and just basically ignored Tsarina. It took a few minutes but Diane ended up actually able to pet Tsarina. Tsarina is 8 years old... she has never in her life (I've had her since birth) allowed anyone to even see her... much less touch her. That settled it for me... my daughter's new roommate was *IN*!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Diane has proven to be the most wonderful, *GOOD* person that I could have ever asked for a roommate for my daughter. Dogs know "good"... never question or doubt them...
angel.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
Must be why they run when they see me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I agree, I think that dogs, cats and other animals can sense kindness. Whether it's a lack of stress hormones (cortisol), a person's demeanor, body language, whatever, I believe that animals can pick up on this. It makes sense from a survival standpoint that they can distinguish good intentions from bad.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
It's because you are "good people" Edd!

I can get close to a lot of dogs. We went on a yard one time and this big ole Rottie comes trotting up. I let him smell the back of my hand and was scratching behind his ear when the guy yells "he'll tear you up!" yah, right.

It also helps when you aren't afraid of them.

BF Hammer

Enlightened
Stop stuffing your pockets with Slim Jims and beef jerky and they will go away. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I tend to attract dogs also, with the exception of the insane and just mostly wild farm dogs. I don't know why, I've never owned any pet larger than a parakeet in my life.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Dogs used to follow me home when I was a kid, but it took a lot of coaxing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dogs used to follow me when I was a kid and had a paper route but some were trying to bite me! Maybe the dogs were a good judge of character.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I had that special rapport with dogs when I was a kid but lost it as I got older. It's a mysterious form of communication that may be as PW stated:

"... a lack of stress hormones (cortisol), a person's demeanor, body language, whatever, I believe that animals can pick up on this."

Or something else entirely, perhaps even paranormal. It was a wonderful thing, I wish I still had it.

Brightnorm

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: why most all dogs follow me -Karma

'Most any good dog will function as a karma detector. You obviously have heavy karma.

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast

the dog followed you home because you gave it attention; because you cared about it; because you are a good person...
I guess animals are really 'good people detectors'. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wylie

Enlightened

Pretty hard to turn them away isn't it Rag.
My boss has a really freaked out cat that was picked on by one of her previous employee/boyfriends. When I first start the job my boss told me the cat would likely never get near me because I am a male. This cat stalked the guy that pick on her through the store all the time like she was going to attack, from what I have been told.

Her name is Spooky and I pet her all the time now.

There are three cats there at work and I guess they know I'm just a softy. Crazy thing is, I'm not even a cat person. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif