When will led manufacturers bring us the next big?

CPFMan

Newly Enlightened
I'm a newbie and no expert in this area. But I've noticed from flashlight manufacturers claiming to have the next best thing in light technology. Things like regulation, boosters, programable Epproms, which is good. But the real heart of the matter is it's still the same old 3mm, 5mm, 8mm luxeon I,II,III. What I really want is a Luxeon 7 or 8. When will led manufacturers bring us the next big thing?

CPFMan

Newly Enlightened
Re: When will led manufacturers bring us the next

OK, that's a legit answer, only if they do exist /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

I agree with the car headlight LED etc AND commercial lighting. I figure they are not making as much money from a few expensive flashlights compared to commercial lighting that home and auto manufacturers can include in their more expensive products making the difference in price less negligable compared to flashlights in the stores people paying a few hundred more for a package that includes luxeon lights on autos and fancy lighting systems on luxury homes/boats makes more sense.

dougmccoy

Enlightened

The question when is the next big hit going to take place is too open ended to even guess at. At present I would suggest that the majority of flashlight manufacturers use LED's more to maintain market share than because of effectiveness (I know some will argue this point, but can anyone really argue that the high end LED flashlights can beat a high end incandescent for throw at the present time?).
My point is that LED's exist because they were originally invented for use in non-flashlight applications. Only when someone realised that they could be used for low powered lighting did they become used in flashlights.
When the attributes of LED's as replacements for incandescent lights became apparent it was natural that manufacturers would begin to use them and extoll the virtues of lower power consumption and longevity as well as resistance to shock damage. However, as Lynx Arc has stated the types of LED sold today are (in the majority of cases) multipurpose and they are not manufactured exclusively for the flashlight industry. Only when the mass production of high output LED's for use in commercial or automotive uses becomes the norm will we start to see more and perhaps exceptional output from LED's.
Doug

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast

depends

I would like to see a incandesant flashlight that is the same size as my micro illuminator with a better runtime
out throw it.