Which AA Maglite conversion kit?

Face

Enlightened
Hello,

I'm looking to convert my maglites to LEDs, starting with my AA model.

I've found a couple in the UK, which are here:

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=29&products_id=682

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=29&products_id=310

I was wondering which is the better/brighter kit. There's not much in it price-wise and I don't really know enough yet about LEDs to make an informed decision.

Maybe there are other kits that are better even.

I hope someone can help.

Thanks,

Face

PS - Is the a conversion kit for a aaa maglite?

spirit_of_light

Newly Enlightened
Hi.

Both kits are good

The terralux has a battery life of about 7-8 hours which is approx half of the inretech. However the terralux does put out more light.

In general a regular mini maglite krypton bulb battery life is at best 4 hours with greatly diminishing light over time.

Also, it should be noted that while these mini-mag led conversions will not be as bright or as throwing as a "designed from scratch" luxeon led flashlight such as the Streamlight Jr.

However the advantages of the terralux and inretech is that they have a far better battery over the SL Jr. (SL JR=1.5 hours battery life). With the differences in light the terralux and inretech have a definite advatage over the SL Jr. for an frequent every day flashlight use. Besides the
SL JR is realy bright at very close range having some find it blinding when shon on any thing reflective.

Now if you use a good set of rechargable NIMH batteries (1700-2300 mAh+ ) you'll greatly increase your battery life.

Enjoy.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Other than a 3 or 5 mm LED drop-in for the AAA, there isn't much out there.

For the AA MiniMag, there's a whole bunch. Try:

TerraLux- good price, but some people don't like the sub-par beam (ringy, not tight).

Google "dat2zip shoppe", click on the "shoppe" link that shows up and browse to the drop-in sandwich section. They're also called "sammmies" 'round here. They are Luxeon replacements: bright, shorter runtime.

The Opalec NewBeam is a 3x5mm LED replacement that will give you tons of runtime.

Search also for lambda's products (CPF member), and . INRETHECH's modules.

Finally, try the search function using (you'll find hours of fun reading):
minimag
+aa +minimag
+minimag +drop-in
etc.

Finally, what everyone should read and point to the newbies: ULTIMATE guide to minimag mods

L

led_replacement

The Tektite LT-1 is a Nichia 3 mm led that is a drop in replacement with no modification of the reflector. It is also a side-emitter led meaning most of the light is directed towards the reflector. The LT-1 is not quit as bright as the Luxeon led replacement but will run 10 to 15 hours on a set of 2AA batteries. Here is a link to the spec's on all the Tektite bulbs. http://www.led-replacement.com/datasheet.html Hope this helps!
led_replacement /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

greenLED

Flashaholic
BTW, welcome to CPF!! Two rules to live by 'round here:
1. Hide your wallet.
2. Buy both (you'll see). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif