LED mod available?

mokona2

Enlightened
I have an unknown model Energizer 2AA flashlight that is a pre-focused incandescent with a yellow plastic body. It has a hard rubber sleeve and the bulb assembly is screwed on under the bezel. Would this flashlight be a good candidate for an LED upgrade (EverLED possibly)? I'm not looking for massively bright or super throw, but longer battery life is always good.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, if you can post a few pics of the flashlight and its parts someone might be able to come up with something (someone always does)

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I modded a 2AA eveready disney kids light with 3 5mm LEDs and a boost circuit and while it isn't super bright it is a lot more useful than 2D incans I have now.

mokona2

Enlightened
Sorry, no pictures of the parts, but here's a picture of a similar model flashlight. Mine has the yellow and grey reversed, otherwise it looks like the same flashlight.

k221.jpg

Since there is no aluminum body inside, would it be safe to even attempt an LED mod on this flashlight?

Raybo

Enlightened
I would just buy a mini-Mag and get one of these little gems for $10.

SUPER long run time and lambda should have some more for sale in the very near future.

mokona2

Enlightened
Hmm.. according to Flashlight reviews, my flashlight is an Energizer Skipper II: 2AA 3.0V, with factory 2.2v krypton bulb. I'm guessing it's not worth modifying /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
You can mod any light with 5mm LEDs as long as you solder them to a circuit board or something similar to heatsink them. I have 2 plastic lights I use small circuit boards with LEDs on them soldered to pr2 bulb bases. One is 4aa with a dropping resistor the other 2aa with boost circuit. Luxeons however are a different situation. If you underdrive them you can run them with added heatsinking that would fit in a plastic light.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I tend to look for cheap plastic lights to mod because it is cheaper to buy a light that is easily modded you like than to try to mod a difficult like you don't like. As for what *like* is.. everything BUT the incan beam. My disney 2AA had a tiny miserable spot to it, it was worthless at a distant and worthless up close but with 3LEDs in it the flood it makes and the clicky switch and feel it is now one of my favorite cheap sub $5 lights. I would say your light could be modded about as easily as mine, it has rooom to stick a boost ciruit inside.

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
My boys got some 2xAA flashlights for XMAS, Nice rubber coated ones. Because they always leave lights on, LED was inevitable. I have a bunch of 10mm in different colors I got off EBAY. I broke the glass part of the original bulbs and scraped or the remaining glass. I then made a few different types. I has a Super Flux Spider yellow resistored to 60mA, Negative leads just soldered to the top of the flange. 1 has a 10mm green running direct, this one draws 10mA, and is sufficiantally bright for my 2 year old. I also made a 10mm red and orange, each running at 20mA. My 10 year old likes these because he likes to read at night. The 10mm LEDs have a nice focus, about 1' spot at 3 feet. The yellow has a 140degree output and uses the reflector.
I have found out that flashlight for kids don't have to be white, they don't understand the 'coolness' of white LED's. Yellow and underdriven green are just as much fun for them.
Jeff