tactical...right

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone noticed that these manufacturers seem to put the word "tactical" on just about every flashlight they produce?

chiphead /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't understand it. As long as the tool is strong, doesnt reflect light, and is relatively light... it is considered tactical. I dont personally agree with this... but... oh well.

-tom

Ratso

Enlightened
The word "Tactical" can be decieving. According to Merriam-Webster:

[ QUOTE ]
1 : of or relating to combat tactics : as a (1) : of or occurring at the battlefront <tactical defense> <tactical first strike> (2) : using or being weapons or forces employed at the battlefront <tactical missiles> b of an air force : of, relating to, or designed for air attack in close support of friendly ground forces
2 a : of or relating to tactics : as (1) : of or relating to small-scale actions serving a larger purpose (2) : made or carried out with only a limited or immediate end in view b : adroit in planning or maneuvering to accomplish a purpose

[/ QUOTE ]

With that said, AFAIK Surefire pretty much coined the term "tactical flashlight" with the introduction of the 6P.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
So "Tactical" means that it's used to accomplish a purpose? Hmmm. .everything is tactical, then, I guess?

C

Cosmic Superchunk

When I hear the word (tactical), I think of battle tactics; warfare; maneuvers involving the use of weapons. Nowadays, it's nothing but a markering term used by manufacturers to make their products appear more attractive. We see this term "tactical" used with with knives, boots, watches and other gear.

Basically, it works like this: One manufacturer specifically designs or markets flashlights towards the military and/or law enforcement. Certain features are highlighted, such as type III hard anodizing, tailcap switches, CNC machining, the ability to manipulate the flashlight in conjunction with a firearm, etc. Naturally, these features will add to the cost of these lights and will tend to price them beyond the reach of the average consumer.

Eventually, these lights make their way to the civilian sector and now there comes a demand for flashlights with these so called "tactical" features for the average Joe. Other manufactures see an opportunity to boost sales and borrow upon those features in order to stay competative in the market and begin to produce these so called "tactical" lights at more "affordable" prices. Obviously, many of their products are tailor-made for military or law enforcement personnel, but they will appeal even more to what I like to call the "keyboard commando" types.

The confusion arises when the market gets flooded with so-called "tactical" lights whereby almost every flashlight with a tailcap switch is marketed as "tactical" even though realistically it is designed for light duty commercial use.

Now, ask yourself this question. What is a tactical flashlight? Is it one used by the military or by police? If that's the case then all those plastic government issue Fulton MX/991 anglehead flashlights (which are still seeing action in Iraq and Afghanistan) are tactical lights as are all those D cell Maglites some cops still carry.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Cosmic Superchunk said:

Eventually, these lights make their way to the civilian sector and now there comes a demand for flashlights with these so called "tactical" features for the average Joe. Other manufactures see an opportunity to boost sales and borrow upon those features in order to stay competative in the market and begin to produce these so called "tactical" lights at more "affordable" prices. Obviously, many of their products are tailor-made for military or law enforcement personnel, but they will appeal even more to what I like to call the "keyboard commando" types.

[/ QUOTE ]

What everybody said--tactical is definitely an over-used term for marketing sake; probably anything black, non-reflective someday will become tactical...who knows, maybe even my cooking pan will get lucky and become 'tactical' someday. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously, for true value sake, whenever buying these 'tactical' 'gears', one should also think 'what' do one need it for and 'why' this choice, instead of merely the cool factor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I'm just going through a case of burn out here. I just looked at all the units I've got and thought to myself; That's it, no more! The last unit I bought was not a flashlight but a Turboflare360 for my road-hazard kit. I'll never stop adding to that.

chiphead

gorlank

Enlightened
It's the same with knives, everything's tactical nowadays. Outfits like Mercworx, Topps, .... in use by covert..blah blah blah, we'd have to kill you if we told you. You really do have to cut through the bs and judge for yourself. I'm sure the humble Buck 110 has seen more tactical use than any other knife out there.

oklalawman

Enlightened
Tactical....It is sex appeal, It sells. It appeals to the Walter Mitty side of most people. Besides it sounds alot better than flashlight for the kitchen drawer. It also gives it some level of quality to it. It is like when they stick the word police or special forces on something. A lot
of peeps(hopefull no cpfers) think that it must be some standard above otehrs if the police or military use it. I wish they would stop.I am sick of it.

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
[ QUOTE ]
cornkid said:
I don't understand it. As long as the tool is strong, doesnt reflect light, and is relatively light... it is considered tactical. I dont personally agree with this... but... oh well.
-tom

[/ QUOTE ]sometimes not even strong or light just black

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Well ... it is *tactical* ... since it follows their marketing tactics ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

oklalawman

Enlightened
I am not a keyboard commando. Thankyou very much. I am usually only on here when at my partime jobe and I like to expand my knowledge base. Or there aare other ocassions, like now when I am recouping from a torn rotator cuff and bicep. It is a result of duty.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

[ QUOTE ]
mossyoak said:
cosmic superchunk said that tactical appeals to the "keyboardcommando" types. i hate to say it but most of the people that have time for this forum are the keyboard commandos in this world. sorry if i offended anybody

[/ QUOTE ]

I think everyone here on CPF likes a bit of "cool factor" in their flashlights. After all, that's what makes them all the more interesting. I like to think that most of us here purchase all sorts of flashlights from the cheapest Dorcy AAA to the expensive Surefire U2 based on our love of the hobby, not because of marketing hype. The downside I see with the marketing tactics of some of the higher-end manufacturers is that it tends to breed elitism in the forums.

My definition of keyboard commando is a civilian "elitist" that only goes for the higher-end, latest & greatest, expensive so-called "tactical" stuff (who will never use the item in a combat situation) and turns his nose up at everything else. You see lots of that sort of thing in some knife forums on the net. Folks like that will post pics of their "tactical" toys along side handguns and other weaponry all over the forums to boost their egos.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't pay attention to the labels anymore. I judge a light based solely on its merits. There are very few lights I consider "tactical" grade, one of them being Surefire. I also own several "modified" lights that is worthy of use in tactical applications. Coolness factor to me is tertiary. I have a modified Pelican M6 that is good enough to mount on my AR15. Nothing really cool about it, it's not a Surefire, but it accomplishes the task at hand.