Email Problem For A Techie To Resolve

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've worked around this problem but it still exists and I would appreciate any "techie" help that I can get.

For most of my email I use Hotmail and the connections setting in IE is set up that way.

If I go to a CPF'rs profile and click on his email address, the Hotmail screen appears as though I can create the message then it makes 2 beeps and won't let me send it. If I remember right, there is even an error message displayed.

I get around this by going directly into Hotmail and creating the new message. That works fine.

Is there a setting somewhere that will clear up this problem or is it a problem with the CPF software?

Any help will be appreciated.

Marty

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Negeltu said:
Are the beeps the same type of beeps you here when IE blocks a popup?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. It sort of warbles twice (for lack of a better description). Kinda like bloop, bloop .

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
It's all guess woprk unless you give us the exact (and I mean exact) text of the error message. Then you might give us the CPF handle of one of the people whom you've tried to e-mail so we can see if there is anything strange there.

I don't mind helping, but the request was a bit skimpy on details.

Daniel

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Daniel

It just shows "error" at the bottom of the screen that usually says "done".

As far as the CPF handle, I've randomly chosen half a dozen and the problem happened with them just like it happened with members that I wanted to contact.

That's as concise as I can get.

Marty

RH

Enlightened
Why don't you hold down "control" to disable pop up blocking to see if that is the problem?

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm wondering why people use browser mail. Using an e-mail client seems like the civilized way to do things.

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
RH said:
Why don't you hold down "control" to disable pop up blocking to see if that is the problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

RH

I've tried it with and without blocking and get the same result.

RH

Enlightened
OK, looks like I'm out of my league. Have you tried on another pc?

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
RH said:
OK, looks like I'm out of my league. Have you tried on another pc?

[/ QUOTE ]

I only have one PC. This is more of a nuisance than anything. I'm going on to another forum and try to email using the same method.

If it turns out that I can, then there is a problem with this version of the UBB threads that CPF is using.

I'll post my results here.

Marty

Greta

Flashaholic
Marty... I just clicked on your email address in your profile and sent you an email to test things out. There isn't a problem with the UBB software. There is a problem with the hotmail system and with whatever settings you have on your computer. It gets rather tiresome for everyone to blame every little problem they have on the CPF software... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
eluminator: "I'm wondering why people use browser mail. Using an e-mail client seems like the civilized way to do things."

The biggest benefit is that you have access to your email wherever there's access to the internet: work, home, friend's house, whatever.

Greta

Flashaholic
The problem is actually that you have to be logged in to the hotmail system in order to send email. When you click on a link to send someone email, that doesn't log you into hotmail... even though the compose window pops up. That's why you get the error... you aren't logged in.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonBoy said:

The biggest benefit is that you have access to your email wherever there's access to the internet: work, home, friend's house, whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Using an e-mail client at home doesn't preclude you from using a browser elsewhere.

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just tried to email several people at knifeforums.com (UBBThreads v6.4.0) and I got one beep (versus 2 here) but no error message. I just don't know!

I think that Sasha is right - It's a Hotmail issue.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
eluminator: "Using an e-mail client at home doesn't preclude you from using a browser elsewhere."

That's definitely true, but with free services like gmail (1 GB) and Hotmail (250 MB), you have access to your archived messages also. With gmail, it's very simple to search your old messages.

Also, I trust Google's email server farm and backup resources more than my PC's hard drive. I *hate* spending hours recovering valuable files and emails when the HD tanks.

Negeltu

Enlightened
Well, yes you have to be logged in. But it use to be that hotmail site would prompt you for your password when you went to send.