Anyone of our guys got arrested for that ? :)

matt_j

Enlightened
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/01/01/laser.beams.aircraft.ap/index.html

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

FBI questions people over lasers aimed at planes
Saturday, January 1, 2005 Posted: 7:12 PM EST (0012 GMT)

TRENTON, New Jersey(AP) -- Authorities investigating two incidents in which laser beams were aimed at aircraft flying over northern New Jersey have questioned several people but made no arrests, the FBI said Saturday.

The pilot of a corporate jet first reported seeing the green lasers on Wednesday as he came in to Teterboro Airport for landing. A police helicopter for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey flew over the area Friday to investigate, and also spotted the lasers.

FBI Special Agent Steve Kodak said Saturday that no one was in custody. A spokesman for the Port Authority said a Parsippany resident was among those questioned.

Federal agents are looking into similar incidents involving lasers and aircraft, including cases in Cleveland, Washington, Houston, Colorado Springs, Colorado, and Medford, Oregon.

Laser beams can temporarily blind or disorient pilots and possibly cause a plane to crash.

Federal law enforcement officials have said there is no evidence of a terrorist plot involving laser beams, though last month the FBI and the Homeland Security Department sent a memo to law enforcement agencies saying there is evidence that terrorists have explored using lasers as weapons.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Anyone of our guys got arrested ? :)

I had a friend who got arrested, I mean man handled, hand cuffed and tossed in the back of a police car, for shining a regular red laser pointer at a police officer while goofing around downtown. He was charged too and had to go to court! Will be on his record for a long time.

He's not a member here though, just to illustrate that law enforcement dont like lasers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

That was a really dumb move, especially aiming it at a police officer. They have to assume they're being targeted when this happens and will act accordingly.

Why does it seem to be in so many poeple's nature to aim a laser at another person?

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast

I had a camera taken away from my at the richmond amtrak station when I was taking photos of the trains as they went by. It was returned and nothing said to me.

Other than that, had a biology prof tell us about being arrested. Kind of cool knowing the college hired folks that werent just upstanding citizens. Dont get me wrong, he was one hell of a teacher and smart too.

*Retired*

Oh, great, I wonder how long it is before some punk realizes that if it messes up pilots, it will mess up cops and security guards too...

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

But the difference is that the cops and security guards aren't 10,000 feet away and will likely take retaliatory action against their dumb asses.

I would never, ever aim a laser at a LEO as I'm allergic to bullets! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I got stopped and was given a ticket for having "illegal" color LEDs under the foot rest of my electric wheelchair a few years back. And about a year before that, I was arrested and physically taken in (the police had to call an access van for my electric wheelchair) for unknowingly passing a counterfiet $10 bill at a convenience store in the same neighbourhood (lower Capitol Hill in Seattle). I was later released on PR (same night), and nobody prosecuted, so I got off the hook there.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

I would wonder about the next set of laws banning the use of lasers by individuals. Thereas so many laws due to knee jerk reactions.

I've done silly things without thinking, like pointing a Thor 10,000,000 cp light at a hellicopter circling my neighborhood. Or was that the 3 mcp Dorcy? Either way, I realized it was dumb about the same time as he turned on HIS light. It was much brighter. I went inside for the night.

My fear is that they will ban hobbiest sized lasers, not realizing that a good spotlight will do the same thing if close enough. Heck, it could be done lots of ways.

Daniel

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
The_LED_Museum said:
I got stopped and was given a ticket for having "illegal" color LEDs under the foot rest of my electric wheelchair a few years back.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are laws which limit the colors on a wheelchair?!!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
There are laws which limit the colors on a wheelchair

[/ QUOTE ]

We can't have Craig trying to impersonate a police vehicle and pulling people over and demanding bribes to let them off with a warning can we? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Who was it not long ago got a ticket because he had several luxeon lights mounted on the front of his car? got a ticket for too many lights or something? Even though they were equivalent to having a couple of flashlights stuck to the front. Completely non-there as far as the regulations about how much light your car can actually put out.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast

James S, I believe that was Rothrandir.

I think there are too many laws. Now there's even a law that children under 14 aren't allowed to get tans at tanning salons. I mean, who is the goverenment to control that?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

Stupid laws inevitably make it onto the books because people do stupid things. I remember one law that stipulates that it's illegal to offer a cigarette to a squirrel.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

It would be nice to get back to the basic laws. You know. Be honest. Keep your promises and don't hurt people.

It seem's like those cover most everything.

Daniel

Starshiptrupr

Newly Enlightened

We just had an incident here. (Nashville Airport I think.) As bad as I'd hate to lose our toys, I sure hope it isn't a precursor to something more serious. The news mentioned this happening "across the country". I haven't really researched it so I hope it's just the typical hype.

How long before we're too paranoid to even take our Thors outside to play?

Lasernerd

Enlightened
The Great Pacific Northwest,home of the Goonies,Sh

To me this is an over reaction!
In all countrys besides the US it is legal to do crowd scanning with class 4 lasers! when I go to Canada I use 2 watts of laser energy for crowd scanning!
I am usually in a complete dark area and I have NO problem
operating my computer gear snyc. equip etc. after getting scanned!
i myself think the gov. should be looking out for the high output emp devices..
my .02

what about lightning flashes?

Lasernerd

Enlightened
The Great Pacific Northwest,home of the Goonies,Sh

Ah yes must add that my NYE`s show was awesome!
I am also very smart to have had all my paper work upto date
The fire marshal inspected venue saw the mega lasers came upto me and said Happy new years! yep he was checking laser permits!

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
PhotonWrangler said:
Stupid laws inevitably make it onto the books because people do stupid things. I remember one law that stipulates that it's illegal to offer a cigarette to a squirrel.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Only to squirrels? So, one can conceivably offer one to another kind of rodent (rat for instance) and it would be okay?

Just joking around, that law seems so specific and weird. Why would folks offer a cigarrette to a squirrel anyway??

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

The squirrel law was probably the result of someone who was offering cigarrette butts to the dumb things, who probably thought they were peanuts. We have lots of stupid laws passed bacause only one person did something distasteful.

All the planes I've ridden in have landed in a nose up attitude. Unless you were above the level of the runway, you would not be able to shine a laser into the cockpit except from the side. That takes pretty good aim. It's easier if the beam has spread to 5 or 6 feet, but by then it's pretty harmless.

I assume that you're safe if you avoid places where there are mountains at the end of the runway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Daniel

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

In Juneau AK. there's water at the end of the runway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif :toliet: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif