PT, UK, SL, KBS or Peli, Best Plastic?

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having some but not all models of plastic lights from all of the manufacturers, is there a clear "BEST"? IMHO it seems that they are all very close in quality and some models may be better than others in each catagory (2C,2AA,4AA,3C etc).

Is there really a "best quality" or is it too close too call - which is what I suspect.

Ratso

Enlightened
I like high end polymer lights: they are all tough as hell, and don't get dinged and scratched like aluminum lights. All the ones I have used (ProPolymer, UK, Pelican) all seem about equal in "sturdiness", as for the scientific specs, who knows? AFAIK, they are all some sort of Polycarbonate and ABS blend, which provides good impact resistance and wear resistance in all climates. I know Pelican used to use GE CYCOLAC ABS plastic, but switched to GE XENOY Polycarbonate/PBT blend. UK and Streamlight probably use otehr similar blends, combining the benefits of the different polymers. Surefire used to claim that Nitrolon was a proprietary Aramid blend, but it is probably something similar to the stuff the others use.

Which one is best? I have not had any high end polymer light fail in any way, so IMHO they are all high quality.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
A really good question. I had used PT, UK, and peli 'plastic' products in the past, and all are really impressive in terms of waterproofness and scratch resistant.

Not to highjack the post--what I did like to know is, under extreme weather condition(for ex, rough use/dropping in sub-zero temperature), which one does better/worse.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the 4xAA Princeton Tec form factor myself. For what it is, I love the original Impact. Tec40 is a great light for the cost as well. Shame the Impact XL is biased SO heavily towards runtime at the cost of brightness.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
The SureFire Nitrolon lights have held up to about everything I can throw at them. The colored ones tend to stain a bit, but the black ones seem to take dirt and grime and bumps and bruses in stride.

I have not tested them at cold temperatures. I rarely get out in temperatures below 0 F.

Tom

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
I have: Pelican 1xAAA/2XAA, UKE Mini Q40/Vectra, PT Rage/ Attitude/Aurora/EOS and a KBS 2D/3D. Sorry, don't have any SL, though I'd be happy to accept donations....

They are all very well made, but based on feel, appearance and design, Pelican are targeted towards industrial use, UKE towards diving and PT towards camping. KBS is clearly more towards industrial use where price is a big factor. I think the Pelis are beefier and more resistant to abuse, though UK's and PT's will certainly stand up to normal dropping, stepped on, etc. If you think your light might get run over by a warehouse Hi-Lo, get a Peli.

On the other hand, I think the PT's are nicer looking and more pocketable.

It seems UKE is biased towards runtime while PT and Peli are biased towards brightness.

Examples:

PT Rage (4AAA) runs 2.6 watt Xenon w/MOP reflector

UKE MiniQ40 (4AA) 2.1 watt Xenon w/ smooth reflector
PT Tec40 (4AA) 4 watt Halogen PR bulb.
Peli Mitylite (4AA) 3.6W Xenon module
Peli Stealthlite (4AA) 3.18w Xenon module
Peli 2600 Headsup (4AA) 4.5W Xenon module
Peli M10 (4C) 4.8 watt Xenon
PT Tec 400 (4C) 5.2 watt Halogen PR
UKE C4 (4C) 6.6 Watt Xenon
SL: 4AA ? watt Xenon, module

Xenon bulbs are more efficient than halogen while bulb/module reflectors catch more of the light (but cost a lot more to replace).

I have the miniQ40 and the Rage. The Rage is quite a bit smaller (due to using AAA's) but puts out about the same light, though smoother and with less throw due to the MOP reflector. It's very pocketable.

Lightedge

Newly Enlightened
I would agree with twentysixtwo's comments. However, no one has mentioned Tektite flashlights. I believe Tektites plastic lights are the toughest, beefiest plastic lights I have seen although they are not cheap buy any stretch.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tektite could be the toughest but I don't have that brand yet. Only in the last year have I acquired at least one model from KBS, UKE & PT. Are there other brands of plastic light worth a look?

I, too, concur with 2062's assesment, based on my limited experience.