Is the Countcomm Ultra G like the Infinity Ultra?

zoltar

Newly Enlightened
I lost my CMG Infinity Ultra. It was a great backpacking, general purpose light. I tried a Gerber "substitute" and though the quality suffered as compared with the CMG.
Is this a CMG in disguise? http://www.countycomm.com/light9.htm
Has anyone got one of these?
Thanks!

meeshu

Enlightened
Top Secret! So secret even I don't know where I am
Re: Is the Countcomm Ultra G like the Infinity Ult

Apparently the US Government version at Countycomm is identical to (or perhaps slightly brighter than) the CMG (Gerber) Infinity Ultra.
Have a look near the bottom of the review page for CMG Infinity Ultra at www.ledmuseum.org/ , there are photos and comments relating to the US government version!
I don't have this flashlight (yet).

ubermensch

Enlightened

The difference, I believe, is that the ultra G is HA III and the Infinity Ultra is not.

zoltar

Newly Enlightened

okay, cool, what is HA III? K, never mind I "hard anodized" got it!

idleprocess

Flashaholic

HA III is a redundant acronym for "Hard-Anodized, type III." Hard anodized aluminum (also called "type III" or "hardcoat" anodizing) produces an exterior surface that's harder than most steels and exceptionally durable, unlike all other aluminum surface treatments that are prone to wearing when subject to moderate abrasion. The critical thing about hard-anodized aluminim is that the surface is effectively inseperable from the rest of the piece since the outer metal crystals are an aluminum oxide bonded to the metal just as tightly as the rest of the piece; hard-anodizing is not an addative process - it hardens the exposed aluminim surfaces.

Paul Kim, VP of engineering at SureFire - is known for claiming (and even demonstrating?) that a hard-anodized falshlight can saw through a non-HA flashlight...

Hard anodizing is substantially more expensive than the anodizing found on most other aluminum lights (type II). The colors available are far fewer and it tends to produce irregular coloration tint and coverage. You'll often hear people exclaiming that two components on a hard-anodized light match well (somewhat unlikely) or match poorly (a regular occurance). The colors available are also limited to shades of gray/black and greens.

Niteowl

Enlightened

Hard Anodized, type III. HA-III is a step up from HA-II.

HA-II is more common. Surefire uses HA-III on their lights. The finish on the Ultra-G is very nice. If you want to get one, don't wait too long. County Comm doesn't seem to have many left and they probally won't be made again.

Stolen from metal treatment site:

Anodizing is an electrolytic process for producing controlled aluminum oxide films on aluminum.  Oxide forms naturally on untreated aluminum but the anodizing process produces a coating which is uniform, much harder, and more dense than natural oxidation. 

The anodic film is formed by converting the surface of the part into aluminum oxide.  Unlike paint, which can flake off if not applied properly, anodized finishes are actually formed from the original material and cannot flake off. The aluminum oxide finish is very hard and exceptionally wear resistant.

Mark

zoltar

Newly Enlightened
I\'m on it!

I just sent them an email to check their stock. Thanks for all the advice!
Funny that when I first lost my Infinity Ultra I didn't miss it too much. But then, you know how it goes with favorite stuff... I ordered the Gerber version, tried it for 10 minites, then sent it back, not wanting to compromise against what I was familiar with. I fell back on the original Infinity, my X5, etc., but then I found this Ultra G and wow, a 2nd chance!