Lightwave Pro3000 or Streamlight TT-3C?

curlews

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a long-life general use light, and am comparing these two pairs: the Lightwave Pro3000 vs. Streamlight TT-3C, or, the Lightwave 2100 (Pro2000) vs Streamlight TT-3AA. This is for general household or emergency use.

I can't find comparisons of the brightness and beam width of these pairs, or any other direct comparisons of quality, switch convenience and reliability, etc. Does anyone here have any advice for me?

PJ

Enlightened
http://www.flashlightreviews.com and
http://www.ledmuseum.org

have reviews on these and many other lights.
During the power outage in August of 03 I used a Princeton Tec Attitude for almost everything inside the house. It has 3 LEDs and uses 4 AAA batteries. After 3 nights of use I didn't notice it getting appreciably dimmer. As someone else brought up whenever something like that happens the D and C cell batteries are the first to disappear from stores. I had a 4 D cell Xenon dive light that I'd use for checking the yard and stuff outside, now replaced by an Elektrolumens Blaster III.

Ratso

Enlightened
I'd much rather take a 3C cell light over a 3AA cell light. Why? Because the C cells are exactly the same length as AAs but have over twice the capacity. 3AA is already slightly too long to pocket, so you might as well go to C cells for longer run time.

As for the decision between the Twin Task and the Lightwave 3000, If I had to choose I would probably pick the Twin Task for its Xenon bulb. When adapted to darkness, the 3 LED's of the Twin Task 3C provide enough light to navigate through a house or outdoors, and will run for many days. The Xenon beam allows for longer range use, which the Lightwave is not suitable for. Plus, the Twin Task's aluminum body may be slightly more sturdy than the Lightwave's.

The only real complaint I have with the Twin Task is the cycle switch. You have to cycle through all the modes: Off, 3 LED, 6 LED, Xenon, Off..., instead of being able to activate one mode when you need it. This can hurt your eyes if your not careful, if you have adapted to the 3 LED setting only, then accidentaly stare into the Xenon beam while cycling the light off. For most people, however, this is only an inconvenience. The Streamlight 3C XP has 3 LEDs plus a Xenon lamp, with 2 separate switches for each mode. This light is plastic, however.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
it's tough to beat the Twin Task 3C for a general purpose light. the LED's will get you thru most everything, and you have an option for a fairly powerful xenon beam.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
long-life general use light>>>>>>>>>>

You just described the SL Twin-Task 3C. I've had mine nearly two years, and it is STILL on it's first set of batteries.

wwglen

Enlightened
Actually in my area the "D" an "AA" were the first to go (before a hurricane).

"C" was very avaliable and people were searching for the "D" size for their flashlights.

I showed them one isle over a bunch of dorcy 2-C incandascent lights complete with batteries on clearence. They never thought to look for a different flashlight then the one they already had.

This was about 4-5 years ago before I found CPF. I had a home made red/orange LED from radio shack in a military angle flashlight and left it on in the kids room for a night light.

wwglen

curlews

Newly Enlightened
Many thanks to all who replied. I took your advice, and just ordered two of the Twin Task 3C.