Yugo Entrepreneur Importing Chinese Cars in 2007

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Yahoo News article

'Chery Automobile Co., owned by the Chinese government, has signed a deal with auto entrepreneur Malcolm Bricklin and his privately held Visionary Vehicles LLC of New York to sell Chery's cars in United States, Visionary announced Sunday.

The companies aim to sell 250,000 vehicles in five models in their first year, 2007, with the goal of selling 1 million units of eight to 10 models by 2012.... the company will aim at selling vehicles well below the price of models now available while matching the quality of Japanese carmakers.

"America doesn't need another car company unless we can do it at 30 percent below market with quality and styling," Lambert said. "We've got to have a Toyota-Lexus-like quality."'
I was wondering when this was going to happen.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everyone old enough to remember the Yugo probably remembers the Bricklin.

It looked like a DeLorean but was painted instead of stainless steel. I still see them once in a while in Los Angeles.

That's more than you can say for the Yugo. They were $3995 and way overpriced!

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Re: Yugo Entrepreneur Importing Chinese Cars in 20

My guess is they'll bring out stuff not much better than the old Hyundai Pony (was that the name?) at the beginning, then quality will ramp up quite well, like all the Korean cars have. In any case, saving 30% on a quality car sounds like a good idea to me.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Yugo Entrepreneur Importing Chinese Cars in 20

Some of the chinese miniscooters have held together surprisingly well so far.
Only a matter of time for them to sell cars at your local dept. store in the lawn and garden, or sporting goods section. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif