Ancient LEDs

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Sorry to be starting yet another oldest LED thread, but I couldn't resist. I can't recall when LEDs started showing up in commercial products. Certainly flashlight use is relatively recent, but instrument use goes farther back. It dawned on me the other day that I've been sitting on an LED application that dates to 1972. I haven't used it in a few years, so it slipped my mind.

In 1974 I purchased my first, and only, SLR camera. After much research I had narrowed my search down to the Olympus OM-1 and the Fujica ST-801. I decided on the Fujica for a few reasons. It was a bit cheaper, had screw mount lenses (bad advice from a teacher), and had a somewhat revolutionary metering system. Instead of the CdS meters of other cameras, the Fujica employed a silicon photodiode which was much faster. And instead of the match needle meter in the viewfinder it used seven tiny red LEDs to indicate the correct exposure. Just adjust aperture and shutter speed to get the center LED to light. This system worked quite well, giving fast readings that were easily visible. Fuji followed this camera, which was first sold in 1972, with an auto model (ST-901) that also used LEDs to indicate the chosen shutter speed. This is the first example of LED use that I was familiar with. Can't believe I didn't think of it before.

Geoff

cy

Flashaholic
Your are so right. in the 70's led's were used in high end camera's for power level indicators and exposure level indicators.

A Poloroid SX-70 land camera is the earliest example I can think of. a red led came on to idicate exposure.

First year production models (10/72 - 10/73) have plain ground glass focusing screen;

sx70.JPG

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I remember buying a Rapidman battery powered calculator about the same year, 1972; it had a red LED display. Hewlett Packard also introduced the HP35 calculator about the same time. Texas Instruments brought out LED displays in digital watches a little later.

[edit]The 1971 Bowmar calculator on this page used red LEDs.[/edit]

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hated those old red LED watches. I had a really cool HP 55 calculator that got ripped off though. Wish I still had it. ( I collect mechanical watches with dials and hands) No batteries required...

NikolaTesla /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

An Arc lamp is the Spark that takes away the Dark--HID Forever!

All My Lights

Some Lights

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an LUX amplifier that was handed down to me
it was made in the early 70'S and it has led power indicator bezel.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
My dad has an Iorio Accorgan from the late-1960s that has at least one red LED in it. That's the earliest product I'm aware of that I've actually SEEN that uses LEDs.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
jayflash said:
What's an Iorio?

[/ QUOTE ]
The Iorio Accorgan is like an accordion with a keyboard. You still squeeze and pull it like an accordion, and it has buttons like an accordion, but on the other panel, there's a piano-type keyboard, who's notes are, I believe, electronically synthesised.

Let's see if I can dig up a photograph of one...BBS...

accorgan.jpg

(This photograph is hosted on my own server, so no bandwidth issues should arise)

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was an Omega watch with LED display shown in a James Bond movie of the late 60ies...

Latest posts