LED light to replace Streamlight Scorpion?

Harri

Newly Enlightened
Hi!

I got one incredible light - the Scorpion. But now I'd like to get a couple of more lights like that - but I'd like to change to LEDs in that department also. Is it possible yet?

What I'm looking for is a small (not larger than Scorpion, but not much smaller either) LED light to give lots of light. It would not need to have the "throw" of my 3D Mag, and perhaps not even quite as much as Scorpion gives. But it would need to give out almost as much light as the Scorpion (well at least as much as the 3D Mag). I'd rather see it work with cheaper AA's than lithiums. But if it would be lithiums, then the run time should be at least 5h, rather closer to 10h.

Anything out there? Does the Inova X5T fit my needs? I know about the Arc LS, but it's just way too expensive (+ very unreliable in terms of LED quality)!

Harri

Azreal911

Enlightened
wow almost as much light as a scorpion from an LED and also be the same size? only a 5watter does that, but that thing is highly experimental and would drain the battery very quick. i don't really think anything like that exists yet, and if it does it's purely the work of those nutcase modders on this forum who tries to defy physics.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
But in the meantime you could get a SureFire KL1.
That's a 1W Luxeon star LED that would screw onto your existing Scorpion.
Nowhere near as much light but for $40 you'd get a good taste of what a Luxeon can do.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest getting the X5T & carrying both. Use the one you need for the situation & when the batteries get weak in the Scorpion, move them to the X5. TX

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I like my X5T...(Ok..I like my E2e-HA, ARC LS, Brinkman LX also - I'd like to get a Scorpion -> where can I get a killer deal on one?) and it holds up well for me. I like the idea of carrying both and moving your weaker batteries to the X5T.

pal251

Newly Enlightened
sigman I got mine off of ebay (scorpion) with a buy it now for 34 bucks and i think 5 bucks shipping...I have even seen it for 34 with a leather case..

Harri

Newly Enlightened
Ok. This is what I got from all of you replies (thanks):
- X5T does not come even close to Scorpion in terms of brightness
- 1W Luxeon Stars would be better, but even they are not really in the same category as Scorpion (I didn't know KL1 fits Scorpion too!)
- only thing that could rival it is 5W Luxeons, but they eat batteries just as fast as Scorpion (this feeling is what I got also from some other posts)

-> this makes me think that the LEDs can not rival lights like Scorpion in the near future (1-2 years). And even if they do rival them in terms of brightness, they also waste the power to heating my hands (or something else). So the only thing we are winning is unbreakable bulb. Right?
-> and so, I'm best of keeping my Scorpion and getting the X5T to complement it and give light with either much longer burn time or a light that can use the batteries of the Scorpion.
-> and if I want something comparable to Scorpion but cheaper, maybe the best bets would be similar lights like UKE 2L?

Does this sound correct?

Harri

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wrong . You have a Scorpion...Keep it. Buy a KL1 and attach KL1 to Scorp body when needed.......

Size15's

Flashaholic
The UKE 2L is a nice cute flashlight. The beam sucks (small, flawed, yellow beam) compared to other two cell models I've seen but you do get robustness, runtime, waterproofness, and a tiny flashlight.

Al

Harri

Newly Enlightened
I will keep the Scorpion, but I'd like to get some other lights to spread out (car and so on...). So actually I'm not replacing Scorpion, but getting new lights that would ideally have been as good as the Scorpion.

UKE 2L... I know it's definitely not as good as Scorpion, has (according to some people) as much light output as Scorpion, but also much cheaper. It's something that I was thinking to have in the car if there is no LED light that would be fitting.

Harri

MarcV

Enlightened
UKE 2L

Compared to Scorpion:

A) smaller
B) bezel twist on/off, no tailswitch
(less likely to accidentally ignite)
C) beam prefocused
D) no spare bulb inside

My choice for automobile carry? UKE 2L

The other alternative? SureFire E2

I own all three, several of each. All are high quality flashlights using CR123 Lithium batteries. For general use, I'd rank them

1) StreamLight Scorpion
2) UKE 2L
3) SureFire E2

E2s accompany my handguns, 2Ls are in my ditty bag and wherever moisture reigns, Scorpions are in my briefcases. But Scorpions could easily replace the other two

Azreal911

Enlightened
yeah and out of the three the uke is the dimmest one of all (it has a 4 hr runtime compared to the others so it will be running a much lower amperage). and the scorpion is the brightest one of the three but not my much when compared to the e2 only very minor differences that would be hard to detect. i own both a scorpion and a SF g2. they are both very similiar and very reliable in emergency situations. The main diff for me is that i can pick up spare bulbs from the local hunting store for my scorpion while my SF g2 would be a little harder.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too have a Scorp and a E1e and will probably get the KL 1 to use on both. Howevere I thunk if you are looking for more lights to spread around there are plenty of other options in the Scorp's price range using LEDs to check out. Sounds likeyou are starting to build a collection so consider the SL 4AA 7LED, and a PT Attitude for pocket carry and a Lightwave for long run time. I have tried the C or D cell yet but am very happy with the 3AA-4LED I use.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by txwest:
I would suggest getting the X5T & carrying both. Use the one you need for the situation & when the batteries get weak in the Scorpion, move them to the X5. TX
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It's always wise to EDC more than one light. You want to be prepared so I would suggest fresh batteries for both lights when out in the "world" and save the rotation for around the house.

Originally posted by Harri:
... So the only thing we are winning is unbreakable bulb. Right?
Harri
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">LED's higher color temperature light clarifies details and tends to be very wide angle, creating a broad field of light that permits better peripheral vision. Even though LEDs aren't yet much more efficient than good quality incandescents, they require less power to cast a "viable" light which gives them the equivalent of greater efficiency.

UKE 2L: In general, if I had to choose a tiny, light (2.6oz), tough, waterproof,inexpensive, kmnock-around, reliable light with a utilitarian long lasting beam, the UKE 2L would be my choice.

Brightnorm

MicroE

Enlightened
Would you guys stop it!
Now I have to go and buy a Scorpion!
I have spent WAY too much money on flashlights in the past month!---Marc