Luxeon 1W torchlight

arowana

Newly Enlightened
Would a Luxeon 1W torchlight using 3AAA batteries at USD$50 be a good buy?

Also, anyone knows how many lumens would a luxeon 1W give?

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get a 3watt Luxeon torch on ebay for less than $20.00
I watt white Luxeon around 25 Lumens depending on bin type

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one of DaGunns 3AAA 1W Lux lights for $13 shipped (I believe) and for the price, have ZERO complaints!

Are you asking about the Coast/LED Lenser/V2 light from Lowes possibly? If it is the only light available, it's fine and you get to select your favorite tint but there are much better/brighter/smaller/cheaper lights available.

arowana

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
TORCH_BOY said:
You can get a 3watt Luxeon torch on ebay for less than $20.00
I watt white Luxeon around 25 Lumens depending on bin type

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG!! Thats a fantastic price!! The 3W Luxeon one I found cost about $100USD /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

arowana

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cratz2 said:
I bought one of DaGunns 3AAA 1W Lux lights for $13 shipped (I believe) and for the price, have ZERO complaints!

Are you asking about the Coast/LED Lenser/V2 light from Lowes possibly? If it is the only light available, it's fine and you get to select your favorite tint but there are much better/brighter/smaller/cheaper lights available.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif why can't I find any here.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

arowana

Newly Enlightened
Ok I made a new sig. Anyone knows please pm me! Thanks a million any info will be greatly appreciated.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a search for LUXEON ON EBABY. I want to remind you to watch carefully at what you look for or buy. A lot of Ebaby sellers are selling "Luxeons" but I suspect a lot of them are Luxeon clones. YMMV.

arowana

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
haveblue said:
Here is a search for LUXEON ON EBABY. I want to remind you to watch carefully at what you look for or buy. A lot of Ebaby seller are selling "Luxeons" but I suspect a lot of them are Luxeon clones. YMMV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your link!! My eyes nearly popped out from the wide range of available torchlights.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Does anyone have experience with this MDXL brand, whether they use real luxeon or only luxeon clones?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16037&item=5153944505&rd=1

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
arowana said:
Does anyone have experience with this MDXL brand, whether they use real luxeon or only luxeon clones?

[/ QUOTE ]

They are most likely to be clones or copies - here's a comparison review I did on a MXDL 3 watt "Luxeon" - with lots of feedback discussion

MXDL 3Watt "Luxeon" 3AAA from eBay

Perhaps not such a "silly" comparison with a Streamlight Scorpion Xenon 2x CR123)
MXDLScorpion.jpg

Bright - but didn't seem that much brighter than this S1801 1watt Luxeon 1x CR123
MXDLS1801.jpg

The version you showed in the link has had some negative reports - whereas the one I got seems to be more favorable.

But bear in mind these are "cheap" for what they are - so "quality control" probably is a bit of a gamble.

I consider myself pretty lucky on the one I got - some others have said their beams are better than shown in my beamshots.

arowana

Newly Enlightened
Hi Vincent, I really want to thank you for pointing me to that thread discussing the 'luxeon' torchlight. It was an excellent analysis on the torchlight and I very appreciate your effort in doing the comparisons and taking those photos for us. Cheers! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Krit said:
MXDL focus is not smooth may be occur from reflex itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I understood you correctly, I think you're right -

I tried to figure out the reason why my MXDL 3Watt "Luxeon" 3AAA from eBay beam was a bit ringy/patchy.

I thought perhaps the LED emitter was off-centered.

Well, it was - kind of - to the head bezel it seemed well centered when I rolled the flashlight head -
it was the Reflector that appeared off-centered!

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a warning on buying MXDL Luxeon clones on Ebay. I got burned - got the wrong one and it was defective. 48 days later and still no replacement and also no response to my last few emails. I did manage to get it to work after an hour of fiddling and some careful soldering. But it is still flaky and junk in my opinion.