Best 1AA - CMG Ultra, Ultra G, Gerbing Ultra?

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
Folks,

I've talked myself into buying several more Infinity Ultras. I don't see the CMG available anywhere. I see lots of Gerbing Infinity Ultra advertised, but have read some bad stuff. The Country Ultra-G looks good, but read there is some concern with varying brightness - last of batch.

I need to get 3 or 4 of these to complete some survival kits and am looking for the best I can get. Any help would be very much appreciated.

P.S. - I understand the ARC 1AA is no longer available, right?

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I understand cy has some ARC AAs. You might want to send him a PM.

The Ultra-Gs are great. Don't worry, if you get a bad one, just send it back. I've bought about 8 to 12 Ultra-Gs and all were great.

The Ultra is also great. I think you can get these from Battery Station.

The CMG Infinity is a good light too. These are dimmer than a Ultra, but still very useful. Battery Station might have these too.

The ARC AA and the Ultra/Ultra-G are similar in brightness. The ARC seems to be built to a higher standard.

I also recommend you use lithium batteries.

paulr

Flashaholic
Jack, the Ultra/Ultra-G was a very popular light here on CPF and many of us see the new Gerber Ultra design with the twist tail as messing up a good thing. It's not inherently bad, it's just different from what we're used to and happy with. A few people prefer it over the old design. It's a matter of preference. If the old version had never existed, I'm sure the new version would be well-received here.

There are always going to be brightness variations etc. If it's for a survival kit, who cares? These 1-LED lights were never intended to be brightness kings.

You could always check out the Peak LEDS 1AA lights, which are even available in stainless steel, if aluminum isn't tough enough for you. They're around 2x as expensive as the Ultra-G though.

Another possibility is the UK 2AAA eLED, which is cheaper and lighter than the Ultra, is waterproof to 1000 feet, stands on end, comes with a hat clip, and has longer throw because of its focusing optic (total output is about the same). It's an underrated light around here.

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
Paulr,

I just today went to REI and bought a Gerber Infinity Ultra task light. There is not srew off portion in the tail of the light. It seems to look identical to the CMG ultras I've seen pictures of. I can't find any pictures of an Ultra with a twist off tail cap?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a pic from forum member John N. They DO exist though I've yet to see one in the flesh.

compare1-640x480.jpg

Post I got the pic from can be found here.

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
Thanks for the great pictures /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I believe I have it figured out now !!! Amazing how many web sites from dealers we all know who have the old picture with new product specs - like two O rings. Your picture is worth a thousand words. Tks again.

Niteowl

Enlightened
I was given the new style as a comp from Gerber (quite nice of them!).

The off-centered LED problem still continues. I like the matt finish, gives it a "tough" look, not that it needs it. I prefer the KISS philosophy of the original, and am not happy with production moved overseas.

I am giving it to a friend along with a lithium battery for his truck tool box (he had asked about a key chain litho to replace one he fried).

Mark

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
All this talk about off centered LED - I just checked my new Gerbing Ultra (without the tailcap) and I find the hotspot is off center - and can see the LED is not perfectly aligned. HOWEVER, the only affect is that the hot spot is slightly not in the center of the wide beam and impossible to notice unless you are looking for it on a wall about 10 feet away. Having said that - I will not be buying/keeping any more Ultra with off center LEDs. Call me annal, but this LED thing has become a hobby about 50 flashlights ago /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Geesh, you would think manufacturers could develop a system to get LED in straight.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own a few old style infinities and like them alot. I don't plan on buying any of the new ones unless they're really cheap. That said, I can appreciate the switch from head-twist to tail-twist. With the old style, my fingers get in the way of the light sometimes when I am activating it. The tail-twist keeps your fingers away from the bezel, making activation 'appear' more efficient.

paulr

Flashaholic
The centering problem is inherent in the Nichia led, from what I understand. About half of all the Infinity/Ultra series lights had poor centering. It's not a practical problem in normal use, but since we CPF'ers are connoisseurs, we tend to get ticked about these little things. Basically if you point the flashlight at the wall and rotate it around its axis, a properly centered beam won't move, but a mis-centered one will wobble around.