? KVM switch, and wireless KB and mouse - work ?

LightChucker

Enlightened
I have asked the techs at both CompUSA and Micro Center this question:

Will a wireless keyboard and mouse work with a KVM switch?

Their answer is always. "NO".
I find this hard to understand. Why would this not work? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Have any of you tried this?

- Which combination of products work?

- Which combination of products DO NOT work?

Thanks for your help!

Chuck

Saaby

Flashaholic
It should work. The only thing that makes a Wireless keyboard and mouse Wireless is the link between the keyboard and base station.

The base station simulates a wired keyboard. Even if the wireless link is lost, the base station remains plugged in. You can re-pair the 2, if necessary, without the aid of a comptuer.

My dad has a KVM and uses it with a wireless mouse (Logitech MX700) but not a wireless keyboard.

That said, we purchased a nice $50 Belkin one from CompUSA. It did not work. It was hot-key switch *only* and it did not like my dad's keyboard.

We returned it and got a cheaper one from Newegg. The hot-key switching on it WORKS with his keyboard, but even if that fails it has a nice big button on top.

This one should work fine for you. $28 shipped. Much less than CompUSA, and NewEgg is pretty easy to make returns to. They will try to charge you a restock fee, but usually if you call and tell them that it's not working as advertised and you can talk them out of the restock fee /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

dtrego

Newly Enlightened
Re: ? KVM switch, and wireless KB and mouse - work

It works for me. I use an IOGear PS/2 KVM switch (GCS62) and a Memorex wireless combo. Switches by tapping the scroll lock key twice - works like a charm! Based on the KVM switch description here (see the phrase "PS/2 mouse emulation for error-free boot-up"), I'd guess that some KVM switches can't or won't make the "other" computer think that it sees a mouse when it boots. I never thought about this, or I might not have bothered to try it. Sometimes, ignorance *is* bliss /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif .

- Dwayne

nexro

Enlightened

I deal with KVM switches /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Not all KVM switches will support wireless keyboard/mice. Usually the supported hardwares are listed in their spec sheet/website.

DanM

Newly Enlightened

I have a IOGear MiniView KVM switch with USB it works with both.