My tattoo

matt_j

Enlightened
This will go on my arm next week...

tattoo.jpg

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats pretty!

Don't like Tats myself, always thought the human body was pretty well designed and executed without the hubris, but it is an original and cool idea at least!

That entire PQRST complex on the left is a little strange though!

Bill

matt_j

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
bwaites said:
Thats pretty!
That entire PQRST complex on the left is a little strange though!
Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahahhaha. Yeah... I designed it and gave it to the artist who went little too wild with the wave... I droped it off today so he can get it transfered onto tracing paper and I left my cardiology book with him and circled how the proper complex should look like...

Matt

turbodog

Flashaholic
Might wanna think before getting any tattoo. I'm not so sure I would have gotten mine after all these years.

More importantly..... I'd give SERIOUS though to getting one about such a "hot topic". WTC? Yikes! What if your opinion of the disaster changes after 5/10/15 years? Tattoos are HARD to remove. And even if you get it removed/lightened/covered up you will still know that it is still there, albeit obscured.

Pick another design. Cartoon or something more benign.

matt_j

Enlightened
Well you don't make down 46 floors and than have a tower comming down on ya just to change your opinion about it. I was beating the idea for the past 3 years about getting it.

fuelblender

Enlightened
Thanks to a tattoo, I could have died. Three years ago I was diagnosed with hepatitis C. For those who don't know, hepatitis C (from now on refered to as hep C) is a nasty virus that lives in your liver and ultimately destroys it.
There is no cure for hep C. The current treatment will destroy the virus but the antibody always will remain in your body and can start producing more hep C virus after treatment is stopped. My treatment consisted of the following:

900 mg ribovirin a day
1 injection of interferon (self administered) once a week either in the stomach or the leg. Duration of treatment: 1 year. Success rate: 40-50%

My side effects: EXTREME ANEMIA, Nausea, sore muscles, hair loss, dry mouth, skin rashes all over the body, irritability, dizzyness, homocidial tendencies, sweating, chills, and many significant others I can't remember. The combination of the drugs were like chemotherapy. The drugs really wasted me ... walking up a flight of stairs would leave me gasping for air. It was hell going to work every day. Weekends I would stay in bed.

Hep C is a blood disease transferred from person to person by coming in contact with infected blood. The most common way to get the disease is from "dirty needles" or from a blood transfusion before 1989. I could go on and on about Hepatitis C, but I think by now you're getting the point.

My hep C is currently in remission.

Good luck with your tattoo.

Topper

Flashaholic*
I have many Scars already gun,knife,even teeth. Had I wanted a tatoo that would be the ticket for me; very nice.
I wish you would make a patch instead, however do what works for you.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Greta

Flashaholic
Polak... very nice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

As many of you know, I have "several" tattoos... well... 8 to be exact. Sure, they aren't for everyone... but for many of us, they are our "road maps". Each of my tats has meaning... to me. I can tell you when I got each and every one of them and why. I even have a little flashlight girl on my back... part of my life... part of my road map. I have yet to regret any of my tats... and my oldest one is 24 years old. I love them all... and already have two others in mind for the future... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Polak... please post photos once you get it on you... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Polak,

I think you could sell quite a few of these as patches it you would be willing to have an embrodery shop make them.

It's an awesome pattern and idea!!

Bill

Saaby

Flashaholic
Although I am not into the tattoo scene, if the shop is clean and reputable, and it's something you want to do, go for it! Like you said, you don't make it down 46 floors and then decide the whole 911 thing is over-rated.

These guys are being pretty harsh, but they mean well. They just don't want you to harm yourself or regret your decision.

turbodog

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Saaby said:

These guys are being pretty harsh, but they mean well. They just don't want you to harm yourself or regret your decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Tattoos are not trivial items. And in case you missed it, I DO have one.

I wondered for years afterwards if aids was involved. I waited many years later that I wanted to to have children because of this. Current info had aids' dormant period at up to 7 years. Hep shows up a little more quickly.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want a tat, go ahead and get one. It's not any more hubris than wearing nice clothes, and getting a good haircut. Just be sure that it's something that you'll want in the decades to come. I can't see the pic for some reason, but from what it sounds like, you were in the WTC, and just made it out when they collapsed. That's probably something that you won't be likely to change your mind about. It's doesn't really make you a target overseas, unless you are planning on wearing clothes that let it become visible. If it's on your upper arm, even a short sleeve t-shirt will do nicely to cover it. And besides, you are a white guy who speaks English. That's a big bulls eye right there. Unless you maybe speak with a British accent, or can try claiming to be Canadian.
Just take care of it when you get it, especially since I'm guessing that it will have some color in it. A plain white hand lotion is one of the best things you can use to protect it while it is healing. There are some specialty tattoo balms, but they don't really work any better, but do cost 4 times the price. You don't really have to worry about getting Hep these days from any shop. the health codes in most cities (and this is NYC), plus the threat of a lawsuit if a person could prove it, keeps most places in check. Actually, I'm guessing that you know more about Hep C than anyone here except the person who has it. Both times I got mine done, they opened the single use needles in front of me. Everything was sterilized. The second one I got was a couple years ago by a buddy who was just starting out. He had to have a blood born pathogens class, to get his license. The shop he worked in used to sterilize everything with disinfectant solutions. There was no risk (or at least so small, that it wasn't even worth thinking about much less worrying) of contracting anything. The place seemed cleaner than an OR.