Air conditioner

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few days ago I did by error the big NO-NO of air conditioners, thats it: turn it off and the second after turn it on, after that the unit no longer colds the room like before, it barely lowers the temperature, but not near as it used to be.

what can be the problem?

my guess is a coolant gas leak due some freezed gas in the pipes, but maybe someone could clarify and give me some tips on what to look and try to solve the problem.

Thanks

Pablo

Saaby

Flashaholic
What you did isn't particularly healthy for it, but I can't imagine doing that once would ruin the thing.

Might try just leaving it off for awhile (24-48h) to let all the refrigerant drain to the lowest point in the system and such.

Mednanu

Enlightened
I've heard that causes a pressure spike in the coolant - you might have blown one of the seals in the unit ?

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
check the capacitor in the condenser unit, if it blow replace it, if not maybe you blow the compressor. that cost a lot. Next time buy a time delay put it betweeen the thermostat and the contactor of the condenser unit so if you turn the ac off and on right away it still wait for 3 minute to turn the compressor on.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
It shouldcause a surge in pressure and cause the compressor to trip and cycle off and on after a few minutes.

Try it with the fan on, then cycle the compressor by telling it to make it cooler. If you hear no extra noises of the compressor comming on too, its likely that is done.

Ive never personally blown or ruined a compressor. We use to flip the window heat pump ac unit in our shop class back and fourth. Although it made a loud noise, we never tripped it or caused it to fail. My own fridge makes a loud pop when it cycles. It will trip if the power blinks, but the fan will continue to run and after a few minutes you hear a pop and the compressor come back on.