LGI vs KL1 2 cell? (Or even a Lambda Illuminator)

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone have a Mr. Bulk LGI 3 AA cell Luxeon Star to compare to a SureFire KL1x2-123 cell light? (edit - or even a Lambda Illuminator)

Could you post a comparison? Verbal and or pictures would be good.

I would really like a KL1, but I have to buy a body for it also, and, while the Scorpion is a nice alternative to a E2e for a body (for me anyway), thats still 86.00 plus shipping.

I would hate to buy this combo, then find out that my LGI is brighter, or as bright and big a size beam as the KL1.

Thanks!

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
Budd, my Elektrolumens "LGI" is less blue/ violet than my 2 cell KL1. The LGI is more white with green tinges. I think the white makes thing look brighter. My E-l 3aa ls/o is also more of a spot throw than the KL1 but I will do beam checks in the yard tonight...If the storm isn't too bad.

I like the KL1 b/c of its regulation, compact size and throw. The "lgi" is perhaps a tad brighter, less compact, runs longer but dims.

check back tomorrow, hopefully I will have light -time tonight...

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr. Blue,

Thanks. So, what I am reading, is that, while both are very nice prodcuts, and there are differences, neither one of them just blows the other away, or, in other words, they are about equal.

Looking forward to what you have to post after viewing them all tonight.

guncollector

Enlightened
Hi Budd-

I have both (LGI & KL1+[E2e]).

There are pros and cons to both. My observations are pretty much in line with Mr. Blue's. LGI=brighter & whiter, but much more lengthy. KL1+[E2e]=bluer, but more compact.

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
HERE GOES::::last night I put reasonably fresh alks into my E-L "lgi"...2 rayovacs and an energizer max...The E2+KL1 had 2 123's with about 30 mins of intermittent runtime.

Test start at 9:00 pm: The E-L mod S.T.O.M.P.S. the SF...E-L lights to about 100' in a very tubular beam (mine is a HD w/o). The E2 lit to about 100 but VERY softly...no comparison, the E-L has far superior initial brightness and throw.

10pm...E-L still brighter although not the "crazy" brightness as earlier...it penetrates dense foliage to the wall beyond...65" no prob. The SF is the same as test start...SF is barely warm. E-L is warm at the head, but not hot or uncomfortable...just warm.

11:00pm E-L is still brighter, although in mine the beam is not that perfect SF smooth/creamy...The SF hotspot is about the size of a Frisbee at 10', the lgi is about 20" in diameter...the creaminess of the Sf beam is apparent compared to the wires, colors and slight uneveness of the lgi. Temps on the SF..very warm, the lgi cooled down from 10 pm

6:00am E-L is FAR brighter...a tad brighter than 3 led opalec. The SF is between an infinity and the Ultra...both were "cold"...I couldnt believe the SF was still running...The SF lit up the small print on a PAM can at 36"...enough to read it when w/o the light it was total darkness. The E-L was bright enuff that when I shined it at my watch, the reflection was uncomfortable to my eyes.

1:00 pm SF is still going!!!enuff to light the inside of a knapsack just barely...the e-l IS AS BRIGHT AS AN uLTRA INFINTY ONLY WITH A BRAODER HOTSPOT...sorry for the caplock issue.

EDIT::: 3:00 pm ...same as 1:00 pm!!!...the SF is still going!!

EDIT 10/18...10 pm last night, SF is dim but on...E-L is same as 3:00 pm

6:00 am this am...SF is only capable of illuminating my watch...but that is about 34 hours. The E-L is still in infinty mode

11:45 SF is dead...E-L is still going as before!!

Of course ymmv...the 3 alk LS is brighter longer, with a tubular beam that flares like a trombone bell at the end..it is whiter, but not without blemishes in the beam that don't really effect performance in the real world. The SF has that perfect "ice cream cone" beam that is a cross betw. a spot and a flood...it is bright enuff for outdoor navigation, medium distance (less than about 50') and not too bright for close quarter use. The E-l is like a Led spot light that can be used as the Sf, except it is a smidge too bright for prolonged close quarter use, imo. Of course, the E-L is not as pocketable...more of a bag or home based light.

they both serve their own purposes well...the E-L has really impressed me...I can't wait for the KL3!!!...got to go into court now...no time to edit...

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr. Blue.

Thanks very much for the test! It's nice to hear that my LGI is brighter than a SureFire!

One question - you reference the"E-L lgi"

Is that the light from Mr. Bulk (Charlie)?

Or is the "E-L" a reference to the ElektroLumens 3 AA mod?

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
BuddTX,

Mr. Blue's Elektrolumens mod has a "high-dome", or Lambertian Luxeon. With the new NX-05 optic collimator you will see artifacts in the beam, it's just the way the high dome is, unless you are able to space the optics a little further away during the mounting of the LS somehow. Using the same optics with the "low-dome", or Batwing Luxeon, the beam will appear smoother.

I have a KL1 and KL3 on order. When they finally get here I will post beamshots with an LGI. I think Craig's site also has reviews (independently, not in the same article) where he provides brightness of both the KLs and the LGI in MCD units. The LGI is clearly brighter than all three of the SureFire leds.

But then as a confirmed Flashoholic, I still do have the KLs on order, so if you are on the fence and considering doing the same thing, then you already know the answer:

Get'em all!

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by MR Bulk:
BuddTX,

Mr. Blue's Elektrolumens mod has a "high-dome", or Lambertian Luxeon. With the new NX-05 optic collimator you will see artifacts in the beam,
Get'em all!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Mr. Bulk,

Is the NX-05 optics the one that you can see the larger "square" and the smaller round beam in one corner of the square?

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Yes, I think so. The "old" optical collimator tended to provide a more diffusing effect to the Luxeon beam. Which actually might be, now that I think about it, better for use with the high-dome.