U2 is this normal?

Freedom1955

Enlightened
I just received my U2 and was excited to try it out but disappointed in the results /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif.
Mine has a donut shaped beam is this normal? It also has a slightly greenish tint to it(the lower the output the greener it is). It also has what appears to be dust on the reflector and on the inside of the lens.
What do you guys think? Do all of the U2's have this greenish tint with the donut beam? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I am contemplating sending it to Surefire to see if they can get rid of that donut and the tint.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

cy

Flashaholic
if you don't think your U2 is up to par, by all means call surefire for an RMA #. just spoke with surefire and turnaround for u2 is aprox. 8 weeks.

don't know about the tint, but a donut closeup is normal.

Freedom1955

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cy said:
if you don't think your U2 is up to par, by all means call surefire for an RMA #. just spoke with surefire and turnaround for u2 is aprox. 8 weeks.

don't know about the tint, but a donut closeup is normal.

[/ QUOTE ]

The donut beam is visible from 30 feet away while shining it on a wall.

cy

Flashaholic
a donut that far away is not normal, I'd call Surefire customer service.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
donut is normal. This is in fact a problem of the LuxV and not the U2. It is more or less prominent in all LuxV lights.
Since Darell told me that a visible donut means the LuxV is in perfect focus I am more comfortable with it ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The green is the luxeon lottery ... unfortunately common, too.

Dust is not normal and shouldn't be there.

bernhard

EDIT after seeing other posts: at 30 feet is is certainly a pronounced donut ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

BIGD

Newly Enlightened
I also just received my U2 (one of those $199.00 deals) and I would have to say the beam is perfect. It has a perfect white hot spot in the center with a perfectly round sidespill around that. Is the "donut" shape confined to the hot spot? I love this light...

Freedom1955

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Size15's said:
If you're not happy, I'd certainly suggest contacting your friendly SureFire Dealer or, SureFire directly.

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Al,

I called Surefire and talked to Stuart, he told me he has never seen a U2 without the donut beam... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
He said they have tried everything to get rid of it and can't.
I see other people have U2's without the donut beam??? Do they need prescription glasses to see better or what?

BIGD

Newly Enlightened
Oh nuts, Mine has an absolutely perfectly round and solid pure white ball of light at the hot spot (it does go slightly greenish on the lower two levels though). I would call Sure Fire and raise a stink. They pride themselves on "a perfectly round beam of light" so hold them to it.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Maybe.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But also, could it be perhaps that you are looking too hard at the beam and not at what you are illuminating?

Have you actually used the U2 as a flashlight? You may find it improves with using it.

Size15's

Flashaholic
BIGD, Welcome to CPF!

I'm glad you are happy with your U2.

I have to ask though, where do SureFire say
[ QUOTE ]
BIGD said: "They pride themselves on "a perfectly round beam of light"

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks

Al

BIGD

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I admit to a slight flsahlight problem, I have lurked long enough...
On page 14 of SureFires 2003 catalog under Technical Attributes they say "Start with the beam, Sure Fire perfected the ultimate beam shape" "All Sure Fire illumination tools share this fundamental attribute of a smooth, uniformly bright beam without any dark spots, black holes or other imperfections that are common to lesser makes".

All should include the U2. Now I have a headache from staring at my U2 against my shop's wall looking for a donut.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
I 've played with two U2 now, and both have a faint central dark spot. It certainly isn't anything that bugs me.

Now the green tints.......

BIGD

Newly Enlightened
This first U2 seems to be an anomaly with a great beam and color. I hope my luck holds out as I plan to order several more of them for my guys.

Topper

Flashaholic*
Size 15's has hit A nail straight on the head. We do have a habit of hunting walls and looking at beams instead of lightin something up. I find myself doing that with all lights now days not just the SF ones. A pal came by and pointed out "There aint a dang thang on that wall you can't
see already" valid point for him a non-addict to "wall hunting" Beauty is in the eye of the beholder might be more true for flashaholics than the rest of the world.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
BIGD,
That doesn't say "perfectly round beam of light" though does it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
That said, the use of 5W Luxeons in bezels of M2/M3 diameter wasn't happening when the 2003 Catalog was written. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Al

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody got a beam shot against another SF LED light like an L4, L5, L6 to show problem? We SureFire users are VERY interested in how this issue plays out. I don't have one "Yet" but am wonder if that "Yet" is going to be.
The U2 is supposed to be the "Rolex" of flashlights. I mean I thought I "needed" one but will surely wait and see how THIS is resolved. Are they all like this or is one out of one hundred faulty? I mean I EXPECT that flawless white light from my SureFires (Which they have).

NikolaTesla /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

An Arc lamp is the Spark that takes away the Dark--HID Forever!

All My Lights

Some Lights

Size15's

Flashaholic
NikolaTesla,
Your SureFire L6 does not have any sign of a "donut" beam?
You write of "issues" and "faulty" but I don't consider a correctly focused 5W Luxeon to be an issue or faulty. The variation that is inherent to all 5W Luxeons regardless of "bin" is an issue I'd like to see improved.

I don't consider the U2 to be the "Rolex" of flashlights. Not at all.

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
Size15's you are one smart obsevant dude. I must give you credit when its due. I just checked my L6 with very good batteries and low and behold, it DOES have a slight donut. It is still the brightest super neat LED light longest throw I have and like it the most for outdoor use. I do have other Lux 5 lights with NO donut but they do not focus so far away- more like flood. Must be the optics. Any way you have look hard at white wall to notice donut. "Nuff" said. If the U2 is like that good, Thats the way it is.

My Stream light TL3-LED has no donut but not near as bright. The SF L6 has darn good spill too which other lights lack. I would surely like to see a U2 in hand though. (And sorta check it against L6) I would expect some color shift when dimmed all the way. Maybe when its dimmer the donut is more noticable. Just have to live with it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

ikolaTesla /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

An Arc lamp is the Spark that takes away the Dark--HID Forever!

All My Lights

Some Lights