Flashlight comparable to ARC AAA??

Flashlike

Enlightened
Realizing that ARC Flashlight is no longer in business, I have been scouting around for a similar flashlight. Here is what I am looking for:
1. A very small LED flashlight preferrably powered by a single AAA battery with regulated power output. "The smaller the better".
2. A durable housing, preferrably of machined aluminum that is reasonably water resistant.
I just bought a CMG Infinity Ulta-G, but I would still like to have a mini LED flashlight that is even smaller, like the ARC AAA.
There are some ARC AAAs on Ebay, but most of them are going pretty high ($65 and up).
I've already kicked myself umpteen times for not buying an ARC AAA when ARC Flashlight was in business. Did the company totally disolve?
Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated!

paulr

Flashaholic
Flashlike, welcome to CPF.

Try the Matterhorn series at www.peakledsolutions.com -- they are pretty similar to the Arc AAA. There's a long history that I won't bore you with. Their circuit design is more conservative than Arc's (i.e. not overdriven past manufacturer specs), so get the 3-led version if you want one as bright as an Arc.

Yes, Arc LLC is dead, gone, nonexistent, kaput, that's all folks.

DharmaBum

Newly Enlightened
I just got a 3-LED Peak AAA with snow colored LED's. It is much brighter than the regular Arc AAA, the Arc looks downright blue compared to the color of the Peak, and the beam is brighter and larger on the Peak. Unfortunately the 3-LED head is threaded different from the Arc-style body, so you still have to use the Peak twist-off body. It's slim, but with the head and body quite a bit longer than the Arc AAA. The difference in light is amazing and well worth the extra inch, though, so it's clearly better than the Arc, in my opinion.

JohnJ80

Enlightened
I concur that the Peak LED light is better than the Arc AAA for light output - very impressive. I have a snow one and two more on order (a snow and red). I like the 3 LED versions. The Arc AAA did really well draining the batteries and keeping the light output consistent. Will be interesting to see if the peak lights do as well. Either way, I like how bright they are and would purchase one instead of Arc if Arc were still in business.

J

paulr

Flashaholic
I thought someone on another thread mentioned having the 3led head on the lug-style body. What's the deal? I really don't care for the 2-piece body. If I don't mind the extra length, I'd rather put the lug body on a mini-clip, so at least it's flexible.

Are those of you with the 3-led Peaks satisfied with the spill beam?

FWIW, there are some runtime graphs on the Peak site. If I get a 3-led version, I think I'd normally run it on L92 lithium AAA's and only use alkalines in a pinch. I don't use this type of light for enough minutes for battery consumption cost to be an issue, and the lithium cell should stay steady in brightness for most of its runtime.

Everett

Newly Enlightened
i have the 3-led version and i love it. i do admit though that it doesn't have very much spill. personally all i really want is throw and this one has the most of any similar light i've seen. they did an excellent job aiming the diodes.

Flashlike

Enlightened
Thanks for your opinions! It sounds like the PEAK flashlights are A-OK.
I guess you are referring to the "Matterhorn AAA" series? Has anyone purchased the "Shasta N" 1.5v N 3 LED Type III HA Hi-Power in the keychain style? The length is 2.71 inches which would be a bit shorter than the Matterhorn AAA 3 LED (3.45").
Either way, $34.95 plus shipping seems like a lot to spend for a flashlight. I guess I need to get bitten a little harder by the flashlight bug! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif
I think I'm going to try doing one of those Mag Solitaire mods. I already have a Solitaire flashlight (received new as a Christmas gift), and it will be interesting to see the results.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are an INCH longer!?!? my god that sucks. I didn't think they were that much longer. They should just do the same size as the arc (no offense,etc) now that arc is gone so at least there is something comparable for people... I'm tempted to sell mine, for huge profit on ebay, but I couldn't live without it!!!

On the other hand it's good to see that those snow-white leds are of good quality. I wonder what's so different about them that they have better color other than a different lens. Is the throw/beam pattern the same?

What about their high-power single 5mm design. Does the brightness and beam look like an arc aaa?

(seems they only offer the highpower now.)

Bob_the_Builder

Newly Enlightened
I want a AAA arc

do you guys know where I could get my hands on a AAA arc anyways?/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I like those things there totally cool my friend has one

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: I want a AAA arc

Hi Bob, welcome to flashlight city and enjoy the fun.

Here are a couple of pictures to chew on. The first has a Peak brass hi-power AAA sandwiched between two Peak brass prototype so you can see the size difference. The Peak prototype is 2-3/4 inches long and the production model is 3-7/16 inches long.

The second picture is what happens if you take the high power head and put it on a prototype body. The size of the "modified" light is now only 3 inches long.

peak_aaa_j.jpg