" it's just a flashlight "

beam_me_up

Enlightened
\" it\'s just a flashlight \"

I like showing off my flashlights, but this is the most common phrase I hear from people....they just don't get it!

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: \" it\'s just a flashlight \"

Get an SFM6, that will fix the problem.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's normal. I gave up discussing lights with them. I don't even talk about what I have.

Only two people who know me in person are aware that I have a SF U2 Digital Ultra, where it comes from, what it does, and how much it costs. Of those two, one is all right with it (but would never buy it), the other one loves it but hates the price tag (can't blame him really). Gonna get him started with a L4 LumaMax..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

flashlight_widow

Enlightened

I like flashlights and I can appreciate a really cool light... but honestly, it IS just a flashlight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast

I get the same thing, whether it's lights or wristwatches (my other addiction). I guess you have to have the disease to understand it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mike

Ratso

Enlightened

Some people (most) are just closed minded. When you think about it, just about every expensive thing people buy is really not 'worth' that much more for what you get, compared to the "El Cheapo" models available. Why buy a $2000 watch when a $5.99 Bluelight special is just as good? Why buy a $200,000 car when a Toyota Camry is all you need? No one ever says, "It's just a watch!" or "It's just transportation!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast

I usually hear "what's it for?" when I show off a flashlight. I get that most often with lights like the Eternalight X-Ray or the modified Arc AAA I wear around my neck.

You'd think it'd be obvious what a flashlight is for....

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

Stop looking for validation from non-flashaholics. Go to a CPF get-together or sponsor one, there you will find like minded others.

davidra

Enlightened

Or make an appointment for some therapy...

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

I know what you're talking about. I posted a similar thread in the cafe: "They aren't just lights" but it actually turned into a bad train wreck for some reason. Probably because there are two sides to the issue. One is that if you are treating flashlights as objects, the ownership of which will give you happiness, and treat them as if they were as important as, say, your wife or your friends, ...well, then that is not healthy and will not bring you happiness, and yes, someone can say to you (with good reason) "look buddy, they're just flashlights, you know?"

However, if flashlights and all things related to them are a hobby to you, a craft, and a source of wonder and appreciation, ...well, then it really is brutish and stupid for someone to say "Hey man, they're only flashlights. Get a grip. $200 for THAT?! You must be insane!"

Because in this latter case, they are trying to demean your hobby and your interest and tell you what is and isn't a smart way to spend your own money. And that's not right! We all understand that here. Flashlights are a great hobby and they're useful and fun to boot. And it's such a neat idea: a portable source of LIGHT. How cool is that?

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well said Double_A! I really like watching the technolgy and creative innovation evolve. It was really exciting finding the tigerlight mod thread from last feb. I've read it 3 times! Or andrewwyns Peak AAA light and many many more. It's about pushing the envelop to me.

I have always loved gadgets and technology and was very happy to find this new flashlight hobby. I'm catagorized as an early adoptor with gadgets because I've had the very first mp3 players and PDAs before they were really even known. Same with my cell phone or my new Pre-N spectrum wireless router etc. etc. The list goes on. My wife says that she doesn't mind us always being on the bleeding edge of technology as long as she doesn't bleed along with me. LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It was really refreshing going to my first CPF gathering a couple months ago. We all had common ground to start a rapport that would meander all over the place thoughout the evening. But everyone was really nice and just wanted to talk flashlights. Go figure.

So... it isn't just a flashlight. It's the bleeding edge. Like PDAs or MP3s the technology that we discuss in intimate detail will eventually be used on every car in the world to improve all our lives and we will already have experienced it to some extent. And that's just one example.

Dandrop

Newly Enlightened

Yeah, it's just a flashlight until somebody needs a good light really bad.

Case in point, a friend's car broke down somewhere really dark. He whips out his m@g solitaire, which was crapping out. He opens the hood and he couldn't see anything with his m@g solitaire. I take out my FB1/KL1 edc and illuminated the entire engine compartment. He found the disconnected/loose wire and was able to fix it. My flashlight saved the day.

Yeah...it's just a light... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast

Most of my friends aren't into Flashlights I never talk about lights, to them it is just another torch.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am beginning to wonder if there are any people on this website that DON'T have that problem. Flashlight collecting IS a small hobby and other people can't see that it is a great hobby because most of them aren't open-minded enough. Just because it isn't a very popular, nationaly/publicaly recognized thing, non-flashaholics can't see the point of it. Until this hobby grows, which it will, we're all just going to have to live with the fact that they think it is stupid and just don't care about flashlights and flashlight collecting. It really isn't right for them or anyone to critisize you if it is your passion; that is just plain ignorant of them.

I don't talk to anyone about my lights either though, my family gets pissed off and my friends just ignore me.

C ya,
Baker /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Perhaps it's better that it's not a publicized thing. Exclusivity is kinda cool, there was one point where I was into computers (which eventually grew into a job) but even while I was still doing it for fun, I realized that just about everybody else was doing it too.

It sure is sweet to walk around with the coolest lights on the block, knowing nobody else has them.

Besides, that's what CPF is for...

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree with Kevin, it's an exclusive hobby and that makes us one of the rare people in this world. Don't you like to feel special? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Don't talk to people about your flashlight until they ask about it. It will just make things worst.

The truth will show once your tiny CR123 light outshine that humongous 2D. That's impressive. Human are very visual, it's easy to convince when there's something see and compare.