Question for Eternalight Owners

Lightmeup

Enlightened
Hi,
I was thinking about picking up an Eternalight for EDC use, etc. It seems like the specs for the Ergo3, which can be bought for around $25, is pretty similar to the higher end Elite models, which will cost at least twice as much. I don't need the extra marginal brightness or other high-tech features of the Elite models, but there is one thing that I'm wondering about. The Elites all have the metal threaded inserts for the screws that hold the body together. I've seen people complain about stripping out the plastic threads when reassembling their Ergos after a battery change. Is this a big problem? Can't the batteries be replaced without damaging the threads if you're careful? To me, that's the main advantage of the Elite series, but a pricey one. What's your opinion on this issue? Also, does anyone know the status of TechAss, it was up for sale a couple of months ago?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
There are a few points speaking for the EliteMax:
- regulation (can be turned off)
- programmable settings (if you like such things)
- metal screw inserts
- magnet for attachment
- floats when used with lithiums

bernhard

Lightmeup

Enlightened
Yeah, thanks, I saw that also. But can anyone answer my question? Is it that hard to replace the screws without causing damage? Are metal screw inserts worth $30? What is the status of the company?

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I don't have an Eternalight, but I confess that I've spent too much time thinking about getting one. At the end of the day, I always park the idea due to price. If I do buy, it'll be the EliteMax with its higher, regulated output.

I like the models with the translucent housing and the blue LED that helps you find the light in the dark.

As far as the stripped thread problem goes, I'd think if you carefully started the screw into the hole by hand, then tightened it slowly, you'd be okay. Murphy says, though: "If it can happen, it will." YMMV.

The company was put up for sale on eBay a month or so ago, but no bids came through. I've heard nothing about any kind of backroom deals going on. I suspect their sales kind of dribble in, they can't be really great IMHO due the higher prices for this type of light and the shift in market attention toward Luxeon technology.

Several mentions have been made of a new light in the works called "The Punch" but no one seems to have any information.

About a year ago, they had a two-for-one sale when I almost went for it; I hope they have another one soon. Everyone that buys them seems to be really happy with them.

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had the original Eternalight for a few years and the X-ray for about a year or so. I've gone through several sets of batteries in both and have yet to strip a screw hole. Maybe I'm lucky, but so far no problems.

Mike

turbodog

Flashaholic
I have had both the ergo and elitemax. Still have the elitemax actually. Sold the ergo because of 3 stripped screws. hahaha.... kidding. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

If you are careful and turn the screw in reverse you'll hear/feel a click when the screw finds the existing threads. Then (and only then) simply tighten the screw. Repeat for the other screws.

Most of the features are the same for the ergo and the elite. The major one in my mind is the regulation. Tom told me that using lithium cells in the ergo is almost the same as having the elite (still bought the elite anyway).

The nightbeacon is pretty useful though. And if you're gonna get that, you might as well get the elite.

Another thing I like about the elite is the instant/momentary on feature (using the left button). It's pretty handy and it overdrives the leds a little.

I'd put the brightness of the elite on par with a luxeon 1w. Beam pattern is different, but overall brightness is the same to me.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Lightmeup,

I have an X-Ray that has gone through about 8 battery changes and no problems so far.

The variable light options allow me to reduce light output if I find my batteries runing low. I only change batteries when I have lots of light and am not rushed.

Tom

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
I've only had the Xray and Max models, I think both have the brass inserts, got them both here on B/S/T at attractive prices, so can't speak to the Ergo. However, the two I have had have been excellent, versatile and easy to use, so I recommend Eternalights highly. I would think that if you are careful when you screw the halves together, you should not have any problems, just take your time.

good luck,
daloosh

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if the regulation on the Elitemax is very efficient. Going by the graph on the Techass site, there is a lot more light under the curve when the light is not regulated, particularly when using lithiums.

stringj

Newly Enlightened
I have an orginial Eternalight that has flat sides, an Ergo, an EliteMax, and a Derringer. You will not be disappointed in any of them. I normally do not like AAA battery cells or the flashlights they go in but the Derringer made a believer of me. I would suggest spending the $20.00 plus shipping and try one of these to help you make up your mind about any of the other models. To see what is "here" versus what is "out there", these lights are hard to beat.

Jerry

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're careful, you should have no problems with the plastic threads. Like turbodog said, the key is to turn the screw backwards until you feel the clik, as the screw finds its place in the existing threads, and then tighten until firm. I've not had any problems on my ErgoMarine.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Another Derringer believer here. It doesn't have screws to remove, just a battery door. If you don't need water resistance this one might be for you.

Geoff

Lightmeup

Enlightened
Have you guys noticed how unusual it is to find people complaining about their Eternalights? Not that they're perfect, but the owners seem to have very few complaints, compared with most other brands. So, anyone know what's up with TechAss?

Saaby

Flashaholic
TechASS is a great company.

Last year they did a progressive sale. Started with a heavy discount on their cheapest light and moved up throgh the model range over the course of a month or 2. I wanted an EliteMAX, but because of the similarity of naming and models ended up with an EliteXray. The president of the company himself (Becasue they're a tiny company, but anyway) took care of me and let me trade up for the difference in Sale costs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif.

I am very happy with the EliteMax and although I got it on sale, could reccomend it at normal price. It's my bedside light, and favorite travel light.

Close to a year of use, with the night beacon on either blink or constant on (About 50/50) including heavy use for several nights of camping and moderate use during a week of hotel use. The battery check function still gives me 4 of 4 LEDs, indicating that I've used less than 25% of the batteries!

Also have an Ergo which is about 80% as nice as the EliteMax. A little dimmer, a little heavier, the plastic feels about 5% cheaper -- it's my favorite loaner light.

1 thing that's important to note here -- Plastic. When you're used to Anodized Aluminum flashlights the prospect of a little plastic thing isn't too appealing, however the Eternalights (Even the cheap ones) are built very solid and the plastic is thick, of high quality, and does not flex. Very solid, like an expensive GPS, or classic Motorola pager.

Overall, although there is a lot of Hype about Luxeon lights, the Eternalights are great! I have been looking for some good Luxeon lights to give as gifts, but after reading through this thread and thinking about my own Eternalight experiences I might just go with some of them instead.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll agree with what everyone has said, just be careful and you'll be fine. I've done 2 or 3 batt changes on my Ergo, and i wasn't like 100% extra careful going about it either, but so far no problems with the screw holes at all. I don't think the Eternalights are that fragile at all, unless you cause intentional damage to it!!
No one complains about their Eternalights? Well allow me to start... They're too damn bright!! I usually have to dim it a few notches when camping... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
ABSOLUTELY NO COMPLAINTS & RECOMMENDED torch for ANY Flashaholic!! I personally like the "pager" shape at times (I don't always carry a two cell cylindrical torch as it's not always convenient depending on clothing)...

Tell me what flashlight can beat the eternaLight's runtimes!!

A SUPER power outage/camping/work light!!!

Ok, I admit it...I'm a believer and an owner (several times over!).

turbodog

Flashaholic
Oh yeah....I forgot about the upgraded battery meter on the elitemax. I'd either buy the cheap ergo or the elitemax. Anywhere in between (in my opinion) is sorta wasted.

The ergo has a battery meter, but it's pretty tough to use. There.... you wanted a complaint!

Elitemax's meter is pretty much dead on when using alkalines.

My first (ergo) was water TIGHT. Would not leak. My elite leaks.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif But, I don't tighten the case very tight. I have checked the seal many times and can't find the source.

For what it's worth, the light has flooded twice. Dried out overnight both times, and it worked fine after that.

MichiganMan

Enlightened
Eternalights rule!

I have an Ergo and an EliteMax and am considering getting a second Ergo just so I have an extra. They're that good. Throw a set of lithiums into an Ergo and you have the floating feature, cold resistance, and pseudo-regulation. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

As close to flashlight zen as they come, I can still come up with a complaint of sorts. I simply hate the distracting blink in the Max's initial timer mode which thereby requires me to double click the light when I just want to click it on, but that's more just a disagreement with the design, not a defect of the light.