NUWAI Q-III: The New Hotness?

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
These things seem to be the new rage in mod hosts as of late. I have seen quite a number of them being sold here in the forums and have read a few mod threads. It's not ultra rare to find an acceptable mod host but what i was wanting to know is what those of you who own them think of them as they come stock. Is everybody buying these JUST to mod or are they a reasonably good flashlight for the roughly $42 shipped that people are getting for them.

Shane

paulr

Flashaholic
If the one I got is any indication, they are a fantastic value out of the box. They are lightweight, feel good in the hand, and the output beats the pants off of other 1x123 lights I've had (Arc LS and Arc4+ seconds) or seen (Longbow Micra). Mine has a very even, white beam, though other people have reported tint issues (Luxeon lottery). Their finish and build quality isn't up to Longbow/Arc/Surefire levels, but functionally they are right up there. To get comparable output from a similarly sized light you'd have to go to a Surefire E1e/new-style KL1, or an Aleph 2 with 1x123 pack, either of which will cost several times as much as a Q3.

But, I don't think it makes sense to heavily mod the Q3, unless you're modding for its own sake. This just isn't as high-class a light as a Surefire. If you're going to devote your valuable modding time to a light, you may as well start with something better to begin with.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

I like the QIII for what it is: Compact, affordable, bright for it's size, and one of the cleanest beams I've ever seen produced by a flashlight. The package claim of "up to 75 lumens" is a bit exaggerated and the Luxeon lottery still applies as the tint on my QIII is a bit on the violet side, but I can't complain about the flashlight as it is.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
paulr, Good points. I think these would be great for modding for the sake of doing. One reason for that would be, If you screw something up really really drastically, say if you were machining on it, you didnt trash a $100+ light. So i think these will be right in there with the Mags as far as mod-fodder, But i think i'd be more reluctant to mod the QIII based on what ive heard about its reasonably good preformence out of the box. Paying $15-$20 for a standard C or D Mag is just BEGGING for a mod since they really arent that great out of the package. These little lights seem to hold their own. And if what Cosmic says is true, then they're definately a better EDC than a LS or Arc4 would be, which are 3-4 times the cost of a Q-III (when they were being sold anyway)

Keep the input coming guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Shane

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't mod unless I can handle it as a drop in type of thing.
I purchased the QIII because I wanted a Lux and because of the size.
Mine is fantastically white and has an almost perfect balance between throw and spill. It is the light I reach for when I'm off duty and need a light around the house or take with me when I travel

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's great right out of the box. My nephew-in-law (is that a real relationship? You get the idea anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) liked it. Since he's airport security, I gave mine to him. Now I need another. He also liked my L4, but he's not getting that!

Mike

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hehehe, Well Mike, there are plenty of people in the B/S/T selling them, $42 shipped will get you one. 3rd_shift will even check the color for you and try to get you what tint you want /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Shane

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Shane,

I picked one up just to see what all the "hub bub" was about. I am impressed with it. I will be getting a few more...

Tom

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am happy with mine "out of the box". I bought mine slightly used, so I didn't get a box with it, but it is still a good little light for the money. The only thing I would like to mod is the button. Put a o-ring in, so it would be a little harder to turn on, but I don't know if I will ever get it done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Blades

Freedom1955

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
madecov said:
Mine is fantastically white and has an almost perfect balance between throw and spill.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sotyakr

Enlightened
Light-wise, I have no plans to mod my Q-III, the beam looks great as-is. About the only thing I'd consider swapping out is the stock lens for a UCL, or something similar (if there's one available).

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Talk to Milkyspit about the lense dimensions, im sure he'd know if there is a UCL available.

Shane

2dim

Enlightened
I'd really like a QIII with momentary on and perhaps dual brightness, used or not...is it possible? Also, this being such a popular light, maybe someone could offer homemade extra battery packs, such as 2 AA.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Hallis said:
Hehehe, Well Mike, there are plenty of people in the B/S/T selling them, $42 shipped will get you one.
3rd_shift will even check the color for you and try to get you what tint you want /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Shane

[/ QUOTE ]

I just did one last price drop on my remaining "seconds". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
The rest will be TWOJ upgraded and sold as "premiums"
These will be the cheapest TWOJ equipped lights I know of when built.

2dim

Enlightened
Some of my posts don't seem to be making it onto the forum, for whatever reason. I'm interested in a couple of lights with white beams. Is it possible for mods to have momentary on and perhaps dual brightness?

Soundchaser

Newly Enlightened
I'm relatively new to good flashlights, and I won't be attempting any mods, anytime soon, I don't think.

I really like the Q-III out of the box. Seems to me an excellent combination of lightweight, good spill, more throw than I expected, and good looks, too.

I carry it everywhere except to church. Very versatile/useful. I'm very happy with it, just as it is.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
kool Stephen, Just make sure you keep my YO bin light and my spare parts light seperate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Brody

Newly Enlightened
The QIII is a great flashlight out of the box, but since adding the O-ring to make it so it can be used in candle mode is so easy to do, I did that small mod right after receiving my unit.