TT-3C - Anyone running a better bulb w/ Nimh?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got a 3C on the way, and was thinking of using NiMH cells with it. Anyone using a better than stock bulb that could take advantage of the extra current?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never tried. Actually, I was pretty happy with the output of the 3C light. I mean, I know I'm not supposed to say that on a crazy hotwire flashlight forum, but...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
My TT-3C sits on my night stand waiting for the power to go out...but if you do find a better combo (batt/bulb) I'd like to hear about it.

Aloha

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
how may amps is rated the original bulb?

you can try the Strion bulb (1,7amp) with 3 ni-mh "C" cell but i think the increase of light is low (flashlightsreviews have measured 33,5 for the TT 3C and 50 with the Strion)

for a big increase of output you must use 6 ni-mh 1/2 "C" batteries, with this configuration you can use many Welch Allyn lamps:

WA01123 at 2,2amp for 50 hours at 350 lumens
WA01148 at 2,1amp for 20 hours at 440 lumens
WA01164 at 3,6amp for 200 hours at 600 lumens
WA01219 at 1,2amp for 100 hours at 140 lumens
WA01274 at 2,7amp for 40 hours at 550 lumens
WA01315 at 1,5amp for 20 hours at 300 lumens

for hours i intend lamp life and for lumens i don't consider the reflector and glass losses.

only for this bulbs i think you must enlarge a bit the hole of the reflector at 7,1 mm

i don't know but if the reflector is plastic (like my 1L) you can't use the bulbs with too amps for not blow the plastic, i hope is aluminium

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Roy said:
...and what happens to the led's when you do this?

[/ QUOTE ]

They melt into slag. That's why I was looking for a hotter bulb that is still in the 3-3.6V range but could draw more current and still fit in the TT 3C. The leds are resistored, and rigged to handle the 4.5V nominal of the 3 alk C's. If smaller cells are used to increase voltage, they will likely be destroyed in short order.

I have a strion bulb I'm going to try, but it doesn't look like it will fit. I'll let you know.

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
i try on my TT 1L 2 li-ion batts (for a total of 7,2V) and the leds works fine, i haven't blow them so i think a voltage regulator inside

on the TT 3C i don't know what kind of regulation use, if there is a voltage regulator you haven't any problem, if there is only a resistace you must open the flashlight and change the resistance with an higher value

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have never considered to even try NimH in my TT3C.

It is an interesting concept for sure, but my 3C XP is better for my anytime use, while the TT3C waits for a special need.

The 3C XP has more throw and better by FAR switching!
Throw is courtesy of a larger reflector with smooth walls.

SL has a rechrgable version which SHOULD mean I can get a better bulb module. But I'm not dissapointed at all usong Alk Cs.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
True. But the reason I'm interested is I just picked up a 3C on BST for a good deal, and happen to have some C Nimh's that aren't doing anything. This is an after the fact mod idea, not a planned out one.

RussH

Enlightened
There are not a lot of choices in 3 cell bulbs. These are normally rated 3.6v. It's too much overdrive for a 2 cell bulb. So the 'mod' to higher voltage batteries & 4-6 cell bulbs is normally the best way to brighter light. If you stay with 3 alkalines, then you also need to stay at 1 amp or lower. Try to find a 3V+ halogen at about .85 amps...

mrme

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
RussH said:
There are not a lot of choices in 3 cell bulbs. These are normally rated 3.6v. It's too much overdrive for a 2 cell bulb. So the 'mod' to higher voltage batteries & 4-6 cell bulbs is normally the best way to brighter light. If you stay with 3 alkalines, then you also need to stay at 1 amp or lower. Try to find a 3V+ halogen at about .85 amps...

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't C cell alkalines source over an amp?

I am looking for a really good 4.5 V bi-pin bulb for a Space Shot headlamp mod. There are not many options. Black Daimond bulbs are aweful. In fact, I was hoping to use a TT 3C bulb. It sounds like people are pleased with it.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I use nimh's in my 3C XP. While initially dimmer than alkalines, in 10 minutes the nimh's catch up, and contines mostly flat run, while alkalines output drops, drops, drops.

Bill

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could try a bipin 3 volt bulb with NIMH cells, something like an 1168u, or 1216u from WA. These would be slightly overdriven and perhaps brighter.

Bill

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
bwaites said:
You could try a bipin 3 volt bulb with NIMH cells, something like an 1168u, or 1216u from WA. These would be slightly overdriven and perhaps brighter.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought of that, but don't know what size those WAs are. Do you know?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, the nimhs are running the 3C's incan brighter it seems than the alks did. I know that new alks should be brighter, even if briefly, but it didn't appear so. And the alks are new Duracells, so they're good quality.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phaserburn, I suspect they are the same size as the 1160, 1185, et al.

I don't have my TT3-C right now, I let my SIL borrow it, so I can tell you more.

Bill

Latest posts