Paypal experts...

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, i just signed up...but i am a little uneasy about attaching Paypal to my bank account.

suggestions?

Bob

Fat_Tony

Enlightened
So don't link it to your bank account. I have Pay Pal, and I only use it with my credit card. It has worked fine so far, and if you don't use it that much, it will take a long time to hit their $ 1,000 or $ 2,000 limit for accounts that aren't linked to a bank account. I hope this helps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't have to be linked to your "main" account.

I'd suggest opening a separate account just for Paypal, simply leave a little $$$ in there to cover any purchases.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Fat_Tony said:
So don't link it to your bank account. I have Pay Pal, and I only use it with my credit card. It has worked fine so far, and if you don't use it that much, it will take a long time to hit their $ 1,000 or $ 2,000 limit for accounts that aren't linked to a bank account. I hope this helps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ok...
say i link it to a credit card, and sell something.
is the money credited to my card?

i am thinking about opening another small checking account, but do not know if i can without incurring monthly fees for having the account open.

if possible, i would like to avoid opening another account.

Bob

Fat_Tony

Enlightened
Bob, sorry, I didn't realize that you intended to sell things. No, the money won't be credited to your card. I don't know if there is a way around linking a bank account if you intend to receive money through PayPal. I only ever use my acount for purchases. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey, all help is appreciated!

looks like i need to open a small checking account just for paypal.
this will keep my primary accounts isolated.

Bob

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have to link your account to your bank or they will ultimately freeze it. I signed up with paypal long ago- just enter a credit card number. I bought several things and my credit card always paid them promptly. Later on I tried to buy something and they had limited my "unverified" account to just under $15. Right now I have about $45 in there from some sales and I can't even use that to buy items with. So they have my money, they won't let me spend it and they won't give it to me. Imagine what they would do if they had access to a bank account!

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes, i have read many horror stories.

i do not need paypal often, just for an occasional transaction.
therefore, i think i can open a small account (minimum $50 to start, with NO minimum balance or charges), sell some things, and immediately clear out the account after transaction. this way, if the account is for some reason "frozen", there will only be very little cash tied up.
or, if a person hacks my account, they will be met with a near-zero balance.

if i buy something, i will load the account just prior to the purchase.

sound ok, or am i missing something?

Bob

Chris_Medico

Newly Enlightened
I'd carefully consider any money handling system that was not bound by federal banking laws. I won't use paypal unless they are bound by them. Too much chance of abuse with absolutely no recourse from you.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Chris_Medico said:
I'd carefully consider any money handling system that was not bound by federal banking laws. I won't use paypal unless they are bound by them. Too much chance of abuse with absolutely no recourse from you.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, i admit there is some trepidation with this.
still not sure if i will go through with it yet...

Bob

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you sell something and some one pays you via paypal, you can ask PayPal for a check. They will send the check minus a check processing fee. So you don't need a checking account for that, as that was the way I did it.

But I think the limit is $500 for a check. Also I hit the limit for buying/Spending without a checking account. I finally linked a checking account. And with a checking account linked you can still pay via CC.

BTW I hate Paypal and the way the force you to link a checking account. What other business forces you to link a checking account? Oh yea, my fitness place did with a contract. Boy was that a hassle to get out of! In fact my wife had to close her account to get out of the contract even though we had shown that she had flown back to china. But so far I have not had my account frozen by PayPal.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
PayPal wants your bank account for identification purposes. Every bank is required by the Federales to identify you, including your social security number. That's what ought to scare you.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I have paypal linked to my main (!!!) checking account.

After a delightful little incident where I sent funds to an address in error and spent the better part of a week waiting for it to come back after cancelling the transaction, I think I'm going to make a dummy account for paypal. Or point it towards a CC so maybe someone will pay off that thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

junior

Enlightened
I have an eBay store and have used paypal with great success. In fact, i recently just started accepting money orders.

I have linked my main checking account with my paypal account so that when money is deposited in i could have it sent free to my checking account.

junior

Enlightened
I have an eBay store and have used paypal with great success. In fact, i recently just started accepting money orders.

I have linked my main checking account with my paypal account so that when money is deposited,i could have it sent free to my checking account.

I personally like to do everything electronically. There is nothing like having money sent to you right away!

You could open a different checking account only for paypal and that would probably allow you to sleep better at night:)

ksbman

Flashaholic*
You don't have to link it to a checking account; it can be a savings account also.

I opened up a savings account just for my Business PP account. I keep just a few bucks in it and transfer right away any money received though PP right to my checking account or credit cards.

StevieRay

Enlightened
Could someone explain the risks of shipping an item overseas to japan to an unconfirmed paypal address. I have received the payment. Should i be concerned?

Thanks,

Steve

ksbman

Flashaholic*
Unconfirmed just means they haven't linked a credit card to their PayPal account.

Maybe they don't have a CC, or just don't want PP to know that info.

You've already been paid; an unconfirmed address is no big deal.

StevieRay

Enlightened
Thanks for your help. But what if someone's PP info was stolen and the buyer used it to ship goods to his unconfirmed address? Would that be possible?