• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired I'm interested in some lathe work.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I\'m interested in some lathe work.

I'm just curious. I'm set up to purchase one of Lambda's new pills some time down the road [after those in front of me get theirs.

My question is, could someone machine a body that the pill could go into with a simple twisting tail cap for one CR123 battery, with just enough space for the modded reflector and mineral glass that Lambda is offering with this pill? I would like it as small as possible [thus the twist on function rather than a push button]. A picture of the pill is on Lambda's post in the mod section for you to see how his heat sink is made. A screw on head for the reflector and glass also.

Anyone know what that would run?

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: I\'m interested in some lathe work.

Orion,

Just to let you know, what you're talking about is maybe 4 to 6 hours of work. Just to give you an idea, I charge $40 an hour. There are some that charge less and many that charge more. What you're asking for is simple in theory and probably not really hard to do, but it will be time consuming and tedious.

If you wanted something small that that runs on a 123, it would be cheaper to get a FireFly and have it modded with a reflector, although the FFs use a sandwiche, rather than one of lambda's pills.

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast

You could likely fit Lambda's pill in the Fire~Fly, but I don't have a sample of the pill to test it. If it fits in the MiniMag, it should fit into the FF. The length of the head may not be exactly compatible, but a little fiddling should do the trick.

Turd_Ferguson

Enlightened

Lambda's pill does work in the Fire~Fly, but it's whole design purpose was so that you could have a focusable Luxeon. For that to work properly you would need a design where the light comes on when moving the reflector away from the emitter. I don't see a way to focus going the other direction.

By the way, it's a really, really cool pill. In my opinion, M@g should buy the design and go with it because I don't see it getting much better for function. It's near perfect.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just when you think it's perfect, Lambda will come out with some kind of improvement and make it even better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Shane

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow, Chop. Didn't know it would take so long/be that costly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Is Lambda's design going to be beam adjustable? I figured it would just be fixed. But anyway, I may check out the Fire~Fly. It would be what I'd carry in my left front pocket.

Phil_B

Enlightened

You could likely turn up a collar (to alter the diameter) and get it into a knackered ARC with a twistie.Might be worth asking around if you can find one. HTH.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, turning things out on a lathe is very time consuming. Making things in a shop is good for one off stuff and prototyping, but not much for actual manufacturing. It just isn't cost effective.

I've worked on a number of FireFlies, and they are very nice pocket lights. If Lambda's pill will fit into it, I'd say that the FF is your ticket. Even if I (or anyone else) greatly discounted their machine time rate, the cost would greatly exceed what a FF would cost you.

I've had an opportunity to play around with one of lambda's pills and the big difference between it and the sandwiche is the fact that the luxeon sits on a pedestal on lambda's pill.

I doubt that you would be able to retain the focusing ability in a FF, but who knows. That's one task I haven't tried to tackle.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wasn't really interested in focusability. Just a fixed reflector at optimum. Something very similar to the old Arc two piece body with twisty tail to turn it on. Very small package for a pocket.

Was also wanting bare aluminum. Less visible scratches that way. Be that as it may, I guess I'll have to go with what I already have [EDC] in my pocket, though it's a little bigger than I'd like.

Thanks guys!