Flashlight on keyring

Are you satisfied with the Luxeon in your FF 2?

• good idea.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • bad idea.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry a flashlight on my keyring, a tiny button cell which I use only when I have my keys out. In fact I rarely use it at all because I have been using my new peak aaa mod alot. I am now wondering why anybody would keep a flashlight bigger than a button cell on their keyring. What's the point pulling your keys out of your pocket just to use your fancy little flashlight? Now you risk losing your keys, too. That's why my keys stay in my pocket, separate from my flashlights. If you vote, please post which light(s) you carry on your keyring.

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry a Arc AAA modified with a Lux III pulling 750mA from the battery and it is super bright. Mod by LED_ASAP. It is rechargable and it totally destroys a button cell light or regular 5mm led light. Run time is one hour two minutes before the light even started to drop in visible output.

Any way, you always have your keys with you, so you always have a light. If it is not on the keys, you might loan it to someone or might forget it on the counter...

Also, I have two key rings. One has just the car key and car remote. The other has house key, pocket multitool Sebertool M4, glow toob, and the Arc AAA lux III mod. This way the keys don't bunch up as much in my pocket, and I can use the tool or flashlight in the car without hassles.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
I carry a custom made light on my keyring....a "d'mo" Luxeon modified to fit on a ARC AAA mounted on a "N" sized body by "jets22".
keys.jpg

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess if you have 'extra' modded little lights for your keys it makes sense. My peak aaa is a d'mo mod also, but I wouldn't want to hand my keys to anyone just so they could check out the light.

I use a little lanyard. I guess I could loop it through if I had to keep them together.

sithjedi333

Enlightened
I have a Fire~Fly II on a Mcgizmo/Berkeley Point clip. I want to have a 2 level, reasonably powerful light on me at all times, and with the clip it's detachable from my keys too.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Notice that my custom is on a BP miniclip also. My Fire~Fly is in my left front pants pocket. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
greenlight said:
I am now wondering why anybody would keep a flashlight bigger than a button cell on their keyring.

[/ QUOTE ]

To impress the chicks, of course.

ultrastinger.jpg

Streamlight Ultrastinger.

Actually, I carry an Arc AA w/ a lithium battery on my keyring. Its a little big, but its my "trapped in an elevator for 9 hours" light. I could go for something smaller, though.

best regards

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Greenlight,

I carry a Peak AAA 3 LED (Snow) on my key chain. It vary conveniently unscrews from the key chain if I need to use it alone.

I trust the Peak over the button cell lights and will tolerate a larger package for the piece of mind that I can use the light for an extended period of time if I need to.

Tom

paulr

Flashaholic
In my pre-flashaholic days: had a M*g Solitaire on keys, but it got completely flaky, so I replaced it with a Photon II (green led). The Photon was my keychain light for many years. Its original battery (1xCR2032, they switched later to 2xCR2016) is still going strong.

When I found CPF, I got an Arc AAA and added that, later putting it on a BP Mini-clip. Also, added a Photon II with red led for night use, giving three lights on the keys. This was with a multi-ring key bundle that was already pretty large, so the lights didn't make it that much heavier.

Decided I had too many rarely-used keys, so removed a lot of them, consolidated all keys to one split ring. Added a Spyderco Jester knife and matching Photon II (green case, white LED, Spyderco logo) and removed all the other lights (Arc and two Photons). That was a huge improvement, made the keyring much smaller and lighter. If I expected to need a light for something, I stuck the Arc in my pocket, otherwise left it home.

When Arc went out of business, I put the Arc back on my keys as sort of a tribute to them. It's still there, but I'm getting ready to take it back off again. A Photon II will run for quite a long time if you don't mind it getting somewhat dim.

Also, I recently got a Photon Freedom ($12.50 sale at Brightguy). In low-powered mode the Freedom should have enormous runtime, much longer than the Arc AAA, though of course it's much dimmer in that mode. But I don't think I'll carry it on my keys, because I like the green-cased Spyderco-Photon II that matches the pocketknife.

Kevin L is selling some very close Photon II clones for $1.25 each. These are a great value, nicer lights in my opinion than the slide-switch Countycomm lights that were my #1 bargain til these P2 clones came along. Except for lack of waterproofness, the P2 is my favorite keychain light: very small (smaller than other coin lights), simple, no computer electronics to fail. If it gets soaked just rinse it with fresh water and dry it. It might need new batteries but otherwise nothing can really go wrong with it.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate junk on my keychain. Mine doesn't even have a key fob on it. Everything I use is loose in the pocket

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an LED_ASAP-modded ARC AAA on my keychain. The key to my car costs $90 between the key, the cut and the programming so I'm not planning on losing or loaning my keys/keychain/flashlight anytime soon. The ARC is my always ALWAYS light. I do NOT like huge keychains. I have four keys and the light on my keychain though I sometimes have a red coin cell light as well. Unless the weather is ugly, I usually don't keep the keyless entry fob on my keychain either but to the question 'Flashlight on your keychain?', my answer is 'Absolutely!'

I also usually have either an X5T, G2, Infinity Ultra or something else on my person as well.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arc Turquoise AAA on the keychain.

The biggest reason to carry a light this way: You are guaranteed to always have it with you 100% of the time.

Santelmo

Enlightened
Inova Personal light, red LED, with the constant "ON" switch alongside my change purse. The Photon lights were too tiny for my taste plus the Inova's led is also recessed for added security (yes LEDs are duarable but you never know being the clutz that I am. . .)

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Despite my other involvement with them little coin-cell thingies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif , guess what's my keyring light.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

None other than the Surefire E1e+KL1. It's a big light to carry on a keychain, and it becomes a huge keychain when I add the SAK, but I'm comfortable with that because I know I won't lose it so easily. The McGizmo 25mm BP clip makes ALL the difference in the world, I can just snap the tool I need off the keyring and put the keys back in my pocket. I find I really like the power of the Luxeon 1.

Added pic:
e1e-kl1-2.jpg

(obsolete quick-detach clip replaced by the 25mm nowadays)

paulr

Flashaholic
BTW, I don't carry my keyring 100% of the time. I leave it on a shelf next to the entrance door at home, and often leave it in my jacket pocket hanging over my chair at work. So for a while I was in the habit of carrying a Countycomm keychain light attached to one of my belt loops by the split ring. That meant I really was carrying it 100% of the time.

I think it makes perfect sense to build flashlights into wristwatches, but the few I know of are quite expensive.

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't like bulky keyrings so I keep my TnC Keylux AA in my right pocket at all times (till I get my N cell). Helps keep the torch in good shape and I always know where it is.

Doug