• A pronounced donut.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A slightly darker area in the middle.

• No donut at all, Yipee!

• White on all levels.

• White, with a bit of green on lower levels.

• Greenish.

• Blue/Purplish or other.

• Yes.

• No.

• Completely satisfied.

• Mostly satisfied.

• Somewhat dissatisfied.

• This think is a piece of overpriced junk.

• Total voters

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought it would be interesting to poll the members here regarding some of the issues I've seen voiced on the new SureFire U2. I'm trying to keep the poll questions fairly straightforward and concise. If you have an issue that is not addressed in the poll, or anything to add that you feel is relevant, please feel free to do so. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: **If you own a U2 please particpate in this poll**

Ugh, another typo I can't edit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif Oh well.

Peter

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Its definitely not a piece of junk..... but it is overpriced. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

That's the only complaint I can make about the U2 in a little under a month and a half. Surefire builds em good!!

Thanks for the survey Peter!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Re: **If you own a U2 please particpate in this po

So far, everyone has my opinion ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

code09

Enlightened

ive touched a few U2's....the tints on all of them vary ALOT! Ive had one with very green tint, and then another which i thought was really white, but then i had another which was even whiter, and made the one before that look purplish...
I still have yet to find one without slight donut holes thoguh.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
MSaxatilus said:
Its definitely not a piece of junk..... but it is overpriced. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

For the record, I don't think it's junk either, but I did have some issues with mine. That last option was more for comic relief than anything else, but you never know, there are some very strong opinions here.

The tint on my U2 is excellent, nice and white on all levels. That's the good news.

The inside of my lens has what appears to be some type of overspray on it, and quite a lot of it. I thought it was dust initially, but it actually looks like a satin lacquer like you would use to "sputter" a reflector with. It got a kind of "frosted" look to it. I don't think it really hampers the transmittance too much, but I sure don't like the fact that it's there. It would bother me lots less if I could just unscrew the G.D. bezel and clean it myself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

My beam has a pretty big donut in it too. I don't really fault SF directly for this, because I know it has to do with the LuxV, but I do know that there are U2s without the donut, so it seems that it is possible.

The tailcap on my unit did not work out of the box. I had to bend the "ears" up on the contact to get it to work. I still have to tighten the shi* out of it to get it to work though, and I'll be requesting a new TC soon.

I voted "somewhat dissatisfied". There is really no excuse for the bum tailcap and dirty lens on my U2. If someone had looked at the lens, and tried to turn on the light, both these defects are readily apparent. I think both of these things should have occured before my U2 left SureFire.

Peter

RH

Enlightened

They are out of tailcaps.

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Peter,

I agree with you: There is no excuse for you to have to do any "tweeking" on a $275 dollar flashlight to get it to operate correctly.

I'd be p....ticked off.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

I see we have a vote for overpriced piece of junk. I was kinda hoping that if someone opted for that one that they would at least leave a comment...

Peter

RH

Enlightened

Hi Peter,

I'll fess up, that was me. I have to say, I am really fed up with SureFire. I have purchased 2 Lights from them now: an L4 back in summer and a U2 in December. I think most of you will remember that the L4 had a rattle in the bezel. The authorized dealer referred me to SF saying his hands were tied. SureFire cs initially blew me off until I posted of the experience here. There were no L4's in stock. Then, Stuart stepped in and made everything right.

Fsat forward to Dexember and the U2. I get the light and it turns on but won't turn off. The switch just keeps clicking. I finally get it shut off and set it down on my desk. As if just to spite me the thing turns back on again. I email the authorized dealer (not the same one) and his hands are tied...he refers me to SureFire. This time, I just directly email Stuart. Guess what, the tialcap is out of stock but he will mail me one when they get more.

I know that my sampe size of 2 is insignificant, but I'm not willing to purchase 28 more SF's just so I can satisfy my curiousity.

I don't expect perfectly matched HA or other niceties, but I do expect them to work. I really don't get how SF gets such a good name. And what's with their dealer policies? Their hands are certainly not tied when I'm handing them my credit card.

Is SF's great reputation built on Stuart alone? On the other hand, I have countless Mags going back almost 20 years. I only had one time when I needed to call Mag customer service and you know what? They had the part in stock and sent it out to me free of charge.

Thanks,
Robert

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Peter,

My only problem with my U2 is that it isn't any brighter overall than my L4. Otherwise, it's perfect.

This thread is a great idea! Thanks.

Paul

code09

Enlightened

i found the quality control for the U2 is waaaay less than surefires other lights. But then again, i dont own too many to be able to say that for sure. But opening 6 boxes of U2's and getting different turnouts for each one i think is enough to support my arguement.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
RH said:
Hi Peter,

I'll fess up, that was me. I have to say, I am really fed up with SureFire <*big snip*>. Thanks,
Robert

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for taking the time to post that Robert, I can relate to what you're saying. It seems like most of these problems could be caught at SF by simply having a human being do a couple quick Q/A checks on each light. Look for junk under the lens, make sure it turns on and off, etc. I mean 11 axis CNCs are nice and all, but I think we're missing an important part of the equation here. Paying someone to spend a minute looking at each light would seem to be a very cost effective propostion in preventing lots of technical and warranty cases later on.

The "Luxeon Lottery" is not SureFire's fault, and I can sorta forgive them for that, even though that same human *could* also screen for Greenies. The perception of tint is a subjective thing, and really does not signicantly impact the "usability" of the flashlight IMHO. But to ship a premium quality flashlight that does not turn on and off reliably is a completely different deal, and is inexcusable. It is also very easily correctable though.

BTW, I also have an L4 with a "rattle", but there is no way it's ever going back to SF. It is the brightest and whitest (w/ no hint of a donut) example that I culled from over two dozen KL4s. Someday I'll take it apart and fix it myself. I wish I could take my U2 apart and clean the gunk off the inside of it's lens too, but apparently it's factory gunk and they don't want me to mess with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Peter

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks Dan. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

ksbman

Flashaholic*

I tried to view the results of the poll without voting, but all I get is a little window that I can't enlarge or scroll in. All I am able to view is the results for the first question. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Boltgun

Newly Enlightened

I like th eU2 enough that I am parting with my A2. I figure the 6 light settings have more value for me then the 2 on the A2. I like the 40 run time on low settings.

although good quality and solid, you have definitly paid for the technology that went into the light versus the actual cost of the light.

Boltgun

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
ksbman said:
I tried to view the results of the poll without voting, but all I get is a little window that I can't enlarge or scroll in. All I am able to view is the results for the first question. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a software bug Keith. Try highlighting the text by clicking (and holding) on the first question and highlight the whole poll. It's still kind of tough to see even this way, but you can also cut-n-paste the whole thing into Wordpad or similar.

Peter

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

Hi Peter,

A minor snivel. I don't own a U2 and decline to mess-up the "accuracy" of the poll. Is it possible for you to edit to add a "I don't own a U2, but would like to see the results of the poll." box? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Edit: Color me blind and stupid! I just noticed the "show the results of this poll" button and used Peters "hack" posted just above, to view it. Gotta get new glasses!

Larry