Battery orientation

Chaz

Newly Enlightened
It appears that most flashlights require the battery to be oriented with the positive end toward the bulb or LED. The Pila lights with LED tailcaps require the positive end to be toward the LED, which would seem backward. Thus a general rule would seem to be that if a LED is used, then the positive end goes toward it. Then there is the situation when a converter is used, which seems to also require the positive end of the battery going toward it. Is this a reasonable general rule to follow, or are there exceptions to these in some lights?

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually there are quite a few exceptions....

In a normal incandescent light it does NOT matter which way the current flows through the bulb. In an Led it does. If, however, the battery is put in the wrong way in a LED... It wont work, but the light will not be harmed in any way.

Actually the purpose of a Diode is to allow current in ONLY one direction.

Ex: My e1e + e2e work with batteries in the other way. The L4 or any other LED light wouldnt.

-tom

daBear

Enlightened
I can only speak for Pila lights as a Pila GL3R was my first. When I received it a few days ago the LED in the tail cap would not work for anything and I can attest the Pila is cuss proof. Then I learned about the battery orientation.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't want to test the "no damage" from reversed cells. Some lights won't pass current because they are mechanically protected in that the cell contacts don't actually touch when reversed. However, should contact be made, the LED or circuitry may be damaged from too much reverse current in some cases. If not immediate, the breakdown may manifest itself at a later time.