Ebay 8 LED 1 AA UV anygood?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's this light on Ebay. Anyone know if it's decent? I don't know how bright it can be and the LED's might be well underpowered. Would it be better to get the 12led one that runs on 3xAAA ?

I still need to mod my Dorcy AAA with a UV led. How well would it do against this model?

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Ebay 12 LED 1 AA UV anygood?

personally I dont think a single AA can boost to more then 150mA or so. Just what I think.
Jeff

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I just purchased one from that listing in the 1st post in this thread, for CPF sakes of course. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
WildRice said:
personally I dont think a single AA can boost to more then 150mA or so. Just what I think.
Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]
I have a MadMax+ W/O sandwich that draws 840mA from a new AA Duracell. Does it for about 35-40min.

Robban

Enlightened

For 7 bucks I'd just buy it regardless, if nothing else you could salvage the LEDs and possibly the circuit if it's decent.

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is that it draws 840 from the battery, or delivers 840 into the load. 1.5v to 3.6v with no batt voltage sag and no loss pullin 840mA would be delivering 350mA. keep in mind you have a MadMax+, I really doubt the HK cheapies have anything like that.

I am lucky, I have a HUGE discount store 25mins from me. I just got some aluminum 8LED flashlights for $6, a few months ago I got 100UV's from HK for $15 IIRC. Simple operation, remove the whites, install the UV, add 8 SMT resistors (limit to 25mA), voula, LOTSA UV.

Ebay post of UV light I modded with 8UV

Back on track... I have found when boosting (unless HIGH END), anything over 3 LEDs from 1 battery isnt going to give you much more, someone correct me if they have noticed otherwise. I persomally like 4.5v (3xAAA) in a delta stack, or whatever the tech term is for those adaptors, for driving lots of LEDs.
Jeff

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
WildRice said:
Is that it draws 840 from the battery, or delivers 840 into the load. 1.5v to 3.6v with no batt voltage sag and no loss pullin 840mA would be delivering 350mA. keep in mind you have a MadMax+, I really doubt the HK cheapies have anything like that.

I am lucky, I have a HUGE discount store 25mins from me. I just got some aluminum 8LED flashlights for $6, a few months ago I got 100UV's from HK for $15 IIRC. Simple operation, remove the whites, install the UV, add 8 SMT resistors (limit to 25mA), voula, LOTSA UV.

Ebay post of UV light I modded with 8UV

Back on track... I have found when boosting (unless HIGH END), anything over 3 LEDs from 1 battery isnt going to give you much more, someone correct me if they have noticed otherwise. I persomally like 4.5v (3xAAA) in a delta stack, or whatever the tech term is for those adaptors, for driving lots of LEDs.
Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]
I was simply saying that the single AA alkaline battery was putiing out the 840mA in current under load. As far as how much the LED is getting, dat2zip told me that probably around 500mA was actually getting to the Luxeon itself.

As far as those HK cheapies go, I have no comment on those, because of no experience with them.

BTW-I'm still enjoying one of your older mods....do you remember that little blue Dorcy 1-AAA that you shoehorned the Q3J and NX05 optic into? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (I got it from Wildcat).
-It's kinda beat up now, but it still works just great! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Craig: I look forward to your review! I need a small (cheap) UV inspection light...

True, I bet the 12led 3xAAA models (DD probably) would be brigthest. But the 1AA form factor is just so small..

EDIT to the Title: I see now this flashlight is 8 led not 12 like the 3xAAA I was comparing to. Title fixed.

So say it does push 120ma to them, thats 15ma to each led. Not bad.. But what is better, more leds at reduced power, or fewer at higher power? I know the first is more effcient, but which casts more usable light?

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast

Glad to hear that mod is still going. Since then I made a few more, 2 I sold to co-workers, only difference being, they used 2x1/3AAA( 2x 1/3 AAA = same size as 1x AAA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif) 210mAh NiMH. I made small 'slugs' so they could be charged in a std charger.
Jeff

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast

@WildRice;
I'm using 2 x 1/2AAA (210mAh Nimh) cells right now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
BTW-3 cells does Not increase brightness much and also greatly reduces already limited runtime as well.

Back on topic.........
@Craig;
After seeing your post re: the Ebay 8 x5mm UV, I broke down and ordered one too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
I also have two different UV LEDS that have been running on exactly 5mA-to phosporesce the glow dials on two clocks, and they are quite stunning to look at in the dark. 5X the brightness of the original radium/zinc sulfide.
3 weeks-24/7, and absolutely no measurable brightness loss on either of the LEDs.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wasn't nuts, here is a 1 aa 12 led one. I don't like it as much. It looks bigger and probably isn't as bright. For that diamter, might as well get the 3xAAA one.

I might have to break down and hope the light is decent quality and brightness. Darn you guys!!

But let me ask you this, which do you like better 8led 1AA, or 12led 3AAA? As far as form factor??

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here is Golden Gadgets 12led 3aaa light. I like the way it looks too. Anyone have this or the white model? how is it?

Looking for cheap UV! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

I bought a 5 LED 3 AA light in the long stacked design off ebay. It works good. This one doesn't look that bright in the pictures of the credit card and the bill. The other pictures, I don't think were taken with this light.

I want to get a nice 380-385nm UV light. i think things will "glow" more in the 380 range. Most lights you see are 400nm.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

I want the Nichia I-Led in a mag refelctor. Then again that's not a good idea to have 100mW of 365nm UV in a periceing small beam!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast

there is a seller on ebay that sells a 3-aa 7-led 385nm
alumimum flashlight for around 25 bucks shipped.

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is that the one that the title say 400nm but the description says 385nm?

Any way, probally when I have money again I will order one off ebay.

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast

depending on the size you are looking vs. amount of UV light, It would be cheaper to buy the LED from HK and build something.
20 UV LED homemade
This light was INTENSE!!!
Jeff

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

WildRice: True, before I have thought about in addition to a small UV light, to have a huge UV light. $15 for 100 UV led's, all in a project box, pulling 2 amps from NiMH!!! That'd be bright!!!

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you had a 10x10 martix of UV's, WOW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif, that WOULD be bright.
Jeff