what flashlight for video/camcorder use

iddibhai

Enlightened
a friend is asking me what light he should get to use as a camera light. doesn't wnat a camcorder-incand-on-bracket, but a pocketable flashglight that will also serve to illuminate his subject matter shot at night. tried an inova X5, too diffuse, no throw. budget is up to 50$. whaddya guys say? 2AA, LS based, lots of those in the 30-50 bracket.

subject is people, no more than 20ft away. thanks.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
well i figure it'd depend on what he's shooting. if he's shooting outdoors @ distant subjects he'll want a brighter light.

if he's shooting inside in close quarters he'll want a nice flood that wont overpower the optics.

maybe he could get a Q3 and have someone put a 2-stage switch in it?

iddibhai

Enlightened
indoor, no more than 20ft away. 5mms are too weak unless they have a LOT of leds (mucho money) and LS collimated lights are too tight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif mebbe the streamlight 3aa tasklight w/ reflector removed..

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
an Elektrolumens Blaster in candle-mode puts out a surprising amount of light. or maybe he could bounce a collimated light off the ceiling? even a beam diffuser can turn a collimated light into a very bright flood light with no real apparent hot spot. i like to use pieces of old vinyl shower-curtains. or um, UK eLED?

LOL, just brainstorming! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
A nuwai Q3 would work well.
It's small enough to manage while shooting.
It can even be secured to the camera with a little engineering.
Most inportant is the smooth artifact free output.
I'm sorry that I don't have any left to sell you at this time.
There are 3 more seller in the b/s/t lights forum who may be able to help.