MiniMag use without optics?

smitty244

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, this might sound like an odd question but hear me out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. I recently got one of the NexGen BB 750ma sandwiches for my MiniMag with the Fraen optics and was a little disappointed with the beam. I've read that the Fraen optics produce very little sidespill so it isn't really to be expected but the beam type wasn't anything like my Diamond 1 watt flashlight with the same optics (which I later determined was because of the type of Luxeon used - Lambertian vs. Batwing). While playing around with each one's optics (trying to switch them between the two lights) I ended up with a MiniMag without any reflector or optics whatsoever in it, giving me a very wide, very even and decently bright flood type beam. A Kroll switch would be necessary to turn the light on / off I would figure as the twisty switch doesn't work anymore, but I very much like the bright spill I'm getting from using the MiniMag without the reflector. I've ordered a couple of other reflectors and optics (the NX05 and 17mm) to try out to see if I like them better, but my question for now is can I use the minimag in this state without worrying about damage? I don't know if the optics transfer heat or anything and obviously don't want to worry about burning out the sandwich or the bulb. Thoughts? Thanks so much!!

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the heatsinking is done where the sandwitch makes contact with the body of the minimag. a 17mm reflector would help SOME but optics really wouldnt. I dont think you're too bad off running it without a reflector or optics. I do think, however that you would end up with a better beam if you modified the stock mag reflector, just open the hole up a little if you havent done and tested that out already. The 17mm reflector will probably net you more flood than the NX05 will, but the NX05 will flood more than the Fraen LP. Im personally a big fan of the Fraen LP /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Hope this info helps. And welcome to CPF.

Shane

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Is the McFlood reflector still being sold at the SandwichShoppe? It was all flood and NO spot and kept the twisty switch function working.

****ADDED*****

look here for the McFlood

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
is *that* what the mcFlood was about... well my vote is for the IMS17.. aka SO17XA.. far as i'm concerned the perfect luxeon reflector.

-awr