Suggestions for sightseeing south of San Francisco

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
My family is tentatively planning on a trip to visit my mom. She lives in Pacific Grove, Monterey area. We are planning on staying at Asilomar . We plan on flying into San Francisco airport, renting a 15-passenger van (and trailer?) and drive down. Other than visiting with my mom and the Monterey Bay Aquarium we don't have any solid plans, tentative solid that is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.
So any suggestions?
We are a family of 16 from 44 to newborn.
We homeschool.
We are Christians.
We don't want to drive a whole lot.
We can spend days at a living history attraction where most people spend hours.
To give you an idea of what not to suggest:
My brother wanted us to fly into LA, visit DisneyLand, his treat, and then drive down. Though most of us would enjoy DL it would be a trial. Plus the driving /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif.
Thanks in Advance--for any suggestions as far as travel, sites, things NOT to do/go to and routes to travel.

watt4

Enlightened
Re: Suggestions for sightseeing south of San Franc

you gotta see the big trees! redwoods or sequoias.
get some pictures of everyone (especially the little ones) next to the big trees. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Muir Woods was great (http://www.visitmuirwoods.com/), but it's a little north, but then you could see the Golden Gate.

Haven't been to Portola Redwoods State Park, but it's south of San Francisco. http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=539.

Also, go on a winery tour somewhere.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you are interested at all in Egyptian history, you would want to visit:

http://www.egyptianmuseum.org/

The Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum is one of the mandatory field trips for every school kid in the SF Bay Area.

The museum itself is a very interesting display of real and professionally reproduced ancient Egyptian artifacts. Also is has one or two "tombs" that kids enjoy seeing.

Be aware that the Rosicrucians are a religious order in and of themselves. The museum itself (as I remember from a few visits over a decade or three ago) does not attempt any form of religious eduction/conversion--However, do some research to make sure that you are OK with taking your family there (our family is moderately Christian and home schools too--i.e., Harry Potter is just a book that kids like to read).

http://www.rosicrucian.org/

There are several other popular museums in downtown San Jose:

http://www.thetech.org/ (probably for the older folks)
http://www.cdm.org/ (geared towards the younger folks)

If you want to get them ready for college, www.stanford.edu , is on the way (between SFO and San Jose). They do ofter tours too.

I have not been here--but at Moffett Field (bit south of Standford/Palo Alto) there is the NASA Ames Research Center and Museum (free):

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/ames/home/home-explorationcenter.html

A bit out of the way (in more ways than one), see by UC Berkley \www.berkeley.edu and the surrounding city...

Here is a simple list of many of the museums in the SF/Monterey Bay Area with links:

http://www.sfsu.edu/~museumst/museums.html

Have a safe and fun trip.

-Bill

PS: A place that everyone will enjoy is www.hearstcastle.org which is . Advance reservations are strongly suggested (and required during peak travel seasons). This is 100 miles (2.5 hours) south of the Monterey Bay Aquarium and well worth the day. Plus you will be able to see some of the prettiest coast lines in central California. It has been a long time since I have driven the coast route in that area--it can be curvy and a bit scary for nervous drivers (cliff side roads). You can take the inland route (highway 101 to highway 46) which would be recommended if you are going or coming from the San Jose Area (200 miles, 3:15 hours:minutes via 101....170 miles and 3:40 via Highway 1).

Also, check out San Jose International and see if you can find any good flights from your place. Smaller airport and closer to where you are going. And check road conditions--The main Highway 17 to Monterey can have some bad accidents (and closures due to heavy rain)... Also, Highway 1 south of Monterey Bay has been known to be washed out during heavy winter storms (like every decade or so...).

PPS:

Fixed the NASA/AMES museum link...

-BB

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast

My dad was an Alum (Alumnus?) of Stanford. So that might be good.
The Ames link didn't work but got me to NASA. Looks like they are set up for us /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I really need to get back to work, I'll check in in a few hours /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

idleprocess

Flashaholic

Drive along the coastal highways. There are some impressive views south of SF.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast

There is a Toll if you cross any of the Bridges in the SF Bay Area... There are usually $3.00 (IRC) and upwards of $5.00 for Golden Gate (although there is a view point on the SF side where you can park without paying a toll. All major toll bridges are pay one way, free the other (typically free "leaving" SF and pay on "entering" SF. If you go to Muir woods, you will be crossing the GG Bridge.

We do have carpool lanes on many roads that typically run from 5-9am and 3-7pm. Try to pick your travel during these times (if you must). And we do have very heavy traffic in the middle of the day around SF Bay itself--not just during commute time.

If you are going north, there is a whole bunch more stuff to see... But it depends on time (and money) how much you would like to do...

Hearst Castle is a wonderful place to visit... However, it is time consuming and expensive. You park at a visitor's center, and ride buses up for your tour. And, as I remember, there are about 4-5 different tours and you may have to return to the center between tours (especially if they are not back to back).

Make sure you check the prices--some of these museums and such are pretty expensive. Bringing a picnic lunch and providing alternative choices of entertainment for your large and mixed family can avoid dragging a 6 year old someplace they don't want to go on a $20 ticket.

Lastly, you mentioned that LA was a long drive--but from Hearst Castle--you are only 270 miles and 4:30 to reach Disneyland (by the way, the only time I have ever been to DL is when I am dragged there--the crowds are terrible). This is assuming that you take mostly highway 101 to LA--and avoid Interstate 5. Much prettier.

It is 410 miles and 6:15 from SFO to Disney Land via Interstate 5.

-Bill

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

OH! We visit PG a LOT. Monterey is our favorite place. It's less than an hour drive from our house. I like the little restaurants there. We love Monterey and too. Just the sea air and waves. Love to go to the beach. Our fave is Del Monte beach by the Best Western on the beach. We love taking Gypsy our black lab to play there. Also lots of wild life. You can take out a kayak and watch the sea otters, dolphins and seals. We like laying in the sandy beach at Asilomar too. Can be windy at the point sometime. BTW What time of year will you be going. That's important. Usually best weather is in the fall and even thru winter.

San Simeon and Hearst Castle is quite a drive, about 4 hours of winding road down the PCH. If you go that far I really like Pismo Beach a little further south and the great sand dunes for taking dune buggy's out. 1 to 1.5 hours from Monterey is Big Sur which is great for exploring and camping. Really a great magical place to commune with nature.

Carmel is nice for expensive art and stuff. Pebble Beach is great for a drive down '17 mile drive' some awesome scnery along the Cali coast. Do a round at spyglass or head into Carmel Valley for even more golf or exploring. Mountain biking and horseback riding are good side plans.

Heading North from Monterey you will come to Capitola, a small coastal town or Rio Dell Mar Beach for a nice BBQ on the beach. Then up a bit and your in Santa Cruz. lots of things there but I'm not an expert. Even though it's 20 minutes away from our home in Los Gatos. Stop in downtown LG to relax and take in the charm of our quite small town nestled in the Santa Cruz Mtns foothills. Right in the heart of Silicon Valley.

Up the coast from Santa Cruz a bit are a few camping spots where you can rent teepee like prefab tents if you like that sort of thing. Keep going north and you'll run into Ano Nuevo. The largest sea lion breading grounds anywhere. This is also the triangle where the great white sharks hang out. Oh and hit Half Moon Bay to check out Maverick's. The biggest waves for surfing in the world. (that you can swim to) Bring binoculars. If you go inland from just north of Santa Cruz you can see the redwoods and some beautiful forests and camping at Big Basin.

I'm sure I missed a bunch of stuff and can give you more detail on the areas I mentioned and good places to stay and eat. Just let me know or google it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PS Forgot a few things... the other posts are really good ideas. How about Filoli Gardens up 280 or Hakoni Gardens in Saratoga. Also a nice town to stop for lunch and some charm. Im not a big fan of the LA concrete or Dinseyland but we were just there last month and they have added a lot of nice things but by far mostly great for the kids. And also for home schooling I'd thing going to the missions would be great. I heard that San Juan Batista and San Luis Obispo are good stops to spend a day but I haven't done it myself.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast

2 hours is about the top we'd want to drive. We regularly drive 1 hour to Duluth and 2.5 hours to church but that is way up north /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif where my 1 hour drive goes past 1 population center of less than 4k people. Duluth is less than 90k pop. If you took say a half hour swath along the 2.5 hour drive we take to church the total population we'd pass is less than 200k. I imagine the driving out there is more adventurous /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif. I think Hearst would be at the limits of our adventure. 4 hours of driving in one day. This is going to be a restful vacation I hope. We are hoping to make Asilomar our 'Haven' and would return there each night. The logistics of relocating my family can be daunting even for an overnighter.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here is a website for California Homeschooling Resources:

http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/regional/California.htm

You have to click around, but there appears to be a lot of good links to look at.

Also, if you are going to San Francisco--this is the ultimate kid's science museum (forget the tech/kids museums in San Jose--very close to the Golden Gate Bridge):

http://www.exploratorium.edu/

-Bill

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
BTW What time of year will you be going. That's important. Usually best weather is in the fall and even thru winter.

[/ QUOTE ]
We are looking at April. We might be able to go in March but no later than April as May starts getting busier in our store and we will be closing down for the week(?) we will be gone. I'd think March/April would be nice spring weather. Or does that mean rain?

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
BB said:
Also, if you are going to San Francisco--this is the ultimate kid's science museum (forget the tech/kids museums in San Jose--very close to the Golden Gate Bridge):

http://www.exploratorium.edu/

-Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

Admission
[ QUOTE ]
Free admission on first Wednesday of each month; however, due to capacity limits, groups of 10 or more are required to make reservations or will not be admitted.

[/ QUOTE ]
That might work nicely /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif
I've heard of the Exploratorium I think. Supposed to be great!
Too much info to look at while working /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/duh2.gif

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

April can be very nice and sometimes dry but may is usually when it stops raining. A week is not a lot of time for such a diverse place as the bayarea. I'd stay close to PG and veture out in proximity from there. After all, it's one of the most beautiful places anywhere.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast

Also, the SF Zoo is free the first Wednesday of the month:

www.sfzoo.org/visit/fees.htm

And if you have nice weather in Santa Cruz... Steam Train, Redwoods and stuff:

http://www.roaringcamp.com/

Watch your time... It is a goodly drive from Monterey to San Francisco. You may burn everyone out on a day trip. 120 miles and two hours each way (without traffic) from Monterey Bay to SF downtown (add 30-60 minutes each way if you are in peak or heavy traffic).

-Bill

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

Asilomar should be a great haven and home base to venture out from. There is a lot to do in Monterey county. I didn't realize it until my wife showed me around a bit more and opened my eyes. Try this link for Monterey County info for the whole family in March and April. Montereycounty
'nighterzzz /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

BB is loaded with great info for you. Hey BB! What town are you in?

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow, I didn't know that there were too many people who knew where Monterey is. I grew up in Seaside. I've only been back twice since 1992 though.
Fisherman's Wharf in Monterey is a great place for Steinbeck fans, as is Salinas where his childhood home is.
Spring is a decent time to visit. It's not really too rainy that time of year (is it ever?).

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
CromagNet said:
BB is loaded with great info for you. Hey BB! What town are you in?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you! I spent the first 30 years of my life in Pacifica (just south of SF on the coast) and the next 18 years in Belmont (just 20 minutes south of SFO).

Regarding the trip--The weather can be highly variable... Warm and sunny, or foggy and windy--so make sure you have a sweater/windbreaker or some other warm cloths handy (if you stay on the coastal side of the mountains.

Another place to visit are the old Spanish Missions (Carmel has a beautiful one--fully restored) around the area.

If you have a friend that has AAA club membership--you can get the Northern and/or Southern California travel book from them (or drop me a PM with your address and I can post you one).

-Bill

mahoney

Enlightened

You've had some great suggestions so far, and it all just makes me realize it's high time I took another trip up the coast to the Bay area.

There is a great drive along the coast near Monterey past the famous "Monterey Pine". There was a small toll, $2 or 3 a carload the last time I did this.

If you plan to drive along the coast up to SF or down to Hearst Castle, don't count on averaging more than about 35-40 mph. It's twisty, winding, steep in places, and by the time you've stopped at few scenic overlooks, that's how it's always worked out for my family anyway. I don't know if you still have to watch for cows in the "open range" sections of the road, they stand in the road because it is the only flat place for miles.

Inland from Monterey is Pinnacles National Monument. There are picnic areas, hiking trails, and some talus caves that were equipped by the WPA with stairs and railings so they are pretty easy to get around in. A fair amount of wildlife is in the area. I've seen deer, quail, etc., and I don't think I've spent more than 6 hours in the park total in the two times I've visited. It is also a nice stop if you are using the small highways between the 5 and 101 to get between SF and LA.

If you get to SF, the Cable Car museum is great fun if you are into mechanical stuff. You can watch the "antique" machinery that is still running the cable cars. The Museum at the Palace of the Legion of Honor is quite nice and in a beautiful area.

Parking a normal-sized vehicle in SF is ... a challenge. With a 15 passenger van, I would suggest carefull planning to ensure that a parking lot will be available where you want to go, or finding a lot on the outskirts of the city and taking advantage of the excellent public transit SF has to offer.

There is a lot to be seen if you are willing to spend the time to drive North or East of SF, i.e., Point Reyes Light, the Sacramento River Delta, Luther Burbank's home and garden, Muir Woods, and that's just a small sample.

Enjoy your trip.