PT surge switch problem

muntjac

Newly Enlightened
The switch on my PT surge has loosened up somewhat. I tried to tighten down the screw but it doesn't ever tighten down, I am not sure if i stripped it or if it isnt supposed to tighten down. either way, the switch is kind of finicky now and it has to be pressed to its farthes point to turn on, and its loose enough that sometimes just jostling it (but usually requires bumping your finger against it) will turn it off when its running. anyone know if this screw is supposed to tighten down? right now its working okay but its annoying to bump the switch lightly and have it turn off.

i tried to adjust the inside mechanism so that it would turn on before the switch is at its farthest point, but i couldnt seem to adjust the plastic catch inside the light to make it have a better angle and push harder on the inside light switch, the angle seems to be set.

other than that im really happy i got the surge. its brighter than my huge coleman light that uses 4 D batteries and way smaller and lighter.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the Surge, but the switch isn't one of it's good points.

My switch also loosened, and eventually broke off completely.

I sent it back, and promptly received a new replacement.

fivebyfive

Enlightened
This happened to my switch too. Just send it back to Princeton Tec and they will take care of it free of charge.

muntjac

Newly Enlightened
just an update on this issue.

i got a replacement without any hassle, but the new light quickly had the same problem. the switch on this model, in my opinion, is very poorly designed.

i got a brand new light but the switch still doesn't work very well. i would just stay away from this light if i did things over again.

muntjac

Newly Enlightened
well only about a week later i have more problems to report. I didn't say so in the last post, but the bulb in that replacement light i got died right after replacing the batteries the first time (after about 3 hours of use). well they sent me a new bulb after i explained that it only lasted 3 hours. Now today after the third battery replacement set (using the new bulb they sent me), it dies the same way when i first turn it on. I'm not even going to bother getting a replacement bulb.

i know theres a lot of guys with good things to say about the surge, but personally i would avoid it at all costs.

also, their page says 3-5 hour battery life, well after about 45min to 1 hour of use the brightness goes down pretty drastically. but it probably does have over 2 hours of usable brightness.

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
Hello all,

I also own 2 surges and the first 2 that I owned, always blew bulbs immediately after a battery change. PT sent me new bulbs but they blew also. I sent then back and they sent me 2 new ones. Now, one of my surges has the loose switch and when I get back from the beach, I will send it back along with my son's tec 40 which somehow he cracked the case. Thanks

muntjac

Newly Enlightened
bit of an update, PT is sending me a new surge AND a new tec40 after i said i'd be welling to trade it in for the lower model. their tech support is excellent. hopefully the tec40 will serve me better. sorry to hear the case cracked on your tec40, it looks like it should be sturdy.

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
Yeah, the tec 40 is sturdy but I think my 5 year old son was standing on it. I wrote PT and said I don't know how it cracked or how he managed to crack it but they said to just send it in. Thanks

matthewdanger

Enlightened
Wow, I am glad to hear that PT is taking care of everyone. I just picked up another Attitude and I am looking into a headlamp. I prefer to do business with company that back their products well.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had very good luck from Princeton Tec.
I think they have tremendous bang-for-the-buck, and the lights are generally pretty tough and reliable.

Surge, Tec-40, Rage and Attitude are still excellent lights. If they upgrade the Attitude with the new Nichias...wow!

Bob

matthewdanger

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
pedalinbob said:

Surge, Tec-40, Rage and Attitude are still excellent lights. If they upgrade the Attitude with the new Nichias...wow!

Bob

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right Bob! I love the runtime of the Attitude, the duraable platic body, and the water resistance. Right now it is just enough light for camping chores and general finding my way around (makes a great backup caving light). If they could drop in some new Nichia's to get some more output, I would be thrilled.