Micro-Pill Powered Luxeon Mag Solitaire Mod

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the Micro-Pill will aslo fit the Mag Solitaire. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But, there is a little filing involved:

solux5.jpg

The top board needs to be filed from 11.85mm to 10.85mm, and the bottom + contact board from 10mm to 9.30mm.

solux4.jpg

The body needs a new bore through it of 3/8 inch (9.50mm) and a second bore 25/64 inch (9.90mm) by 3/16 inch (4.78mm) deep. The second bore is to clear any possible conflict with components on the top circuit board. File off any anodize from the top edge of the body; it will be the negative contact for the pill.

solux3.jpg

The reflector just gets the hole enlarged to 7/32 inch (5.56mm) for the Luxeon LED.

solux2.jpg

The filed Micro-Pill and modified reflector fit nicely in the Solitaire head.

solux6.jpg

A small insulated spacer takes up the slack left from removing the stock switch. Note that this one is a little longer, as the tailcap on this Solitaire was shortened previously when used for a different mod.

solux1.jpg

The result is a very bright little Solitaire. This one is sporting a TW0J Luxeon and is very bright. Run time on one AAA NiMh 740mAh cell was two hours. I would expect about double that from the new AAA Energizer lithium cells.

On/Off operation is tighten the head down to turn on, loosen 1/4 to 1/2 turn to shut off.

While the filing takes some real work, and your fingers will hurt when you finish, it's well worth the effort. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beautiful work... use a dremel with a sanding disk should speed up the sanding/filing process on shrinking the pill.. neat to see that it can be done though.. is the pill designed to fit into arc/peak head?

-awr

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
andrewwynn said:
Beautiful work... use a dremel with a sanding disk should speed up the sanding/filing process on shrinking the pill.. neat to see that it can be done though.. is the pill designed to fit into arc/peak head?

-awr

[/ QUOTE ]

ArcMania originally designed the Micro-Pill to fit in to the Brinkmann Legend 1AAA. However, it seems to fit a lot of things with a little modding.

Let's see, so far I've used it in:

Legend AAA - Micro-Illuminator
Legend 2AAA - Mini-Illuminator
Key-Mate - Nano/Turbo-Mate
Mag bulb socket - Pico-Illuminator
Carabineer clip light - Carabineer Clip Light
Mag Solitaire - The mod shown in this post...

MrMimizu

Enlightened
Guess I have only two questions.
How much is this?
or is it a DIY thing?
and 3rd. How long would I have to wait to get one?

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm....I'd love to have a little one like that. That would be so cute. Great job Lambda!

Hmmm...last time I used the first line I ended up with a very nice MiniPro III! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright, I would like to know the price of that thing this instant! My sister said she would buy me something as long as its not too much, and this doesnt look like too much... or is it?

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lambda ! Nice work! I always wanted something like a solirare this looks not too complicated even! It amazing me these run decently bright of 1 AAA! very impressive, if you ever make a drop in I'm definately down for one, is modding the reflector very hard? makes more sense to me to have a 1 AAA soliare with the pill than a cut down AA. Nice work Indeed!

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats just crazy! i love it. I cant wait to get my drop-in pill for my MiniMag, But since ive been waiting since september i imagine they are somewhat backordered. hehe.

Shane

greenLED

Flashaholic
Finally!! me want one, me want one!!!
I don't understand where the boring needs to happen, though.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
MrMimizu - This light Not for sale
- If enough interest, it could be a DIY
- If I'm making it, it would happen after more MiniPros get made

Haveblue - Nice try, but notice I did not post this one in the B/S/T

Mags_despiser - Sorry, This light Not for sale

Justintoxicated - Because the battery tube gets so narrow inside where the stock switch goes, a drop in would have to be made without circuit boards (hand made dead bug assembly). To use the Micro-Pill, you need to bore out the battery tube as described, so no 'drop in' possible with the Micro-Pill.

The reflector is as much work drilling out as filing the Micro-Pill to size is; the reflector is very small, and the plastic soft. So too much pressure and the reflector bends/distorts in shape and the silver coating flakes off. It must be drilled by hand, using progesively larger drill bits until the correct size is reached. I destroyed many reflectors trying to use power tools on them. Again, the plastic is so soft that any more than light pressure will flex the reflector making the silver coating fleck off.

Hallis - I'm working on those Mini-Pros, but still haven't received the reflectors I ordered before Thanksgiving :-(

GreenLED - See what I explained above to Justintoxicated

ensig - How good are you with drills and files?

icarus - Me too; but finding the time to make another will be hard..

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Id be on somebody about those reflectors, lol. Ive got a Haveblue minimini mag just begging for your pill to cure its ills. Already with a 14500. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Is there a complete "list" of people or are you just sifting through the thread andn picking them out one by one as you get them complete?

Shane

Raindrop

Enlightened
I have several Solitaires sitting in a bag along with some AAA MiniMags. I would be in for the Solitaire mod as well, but would be REALLY interested in one that would work with the AAA Mag /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

~Greg

cy

Flashaholic
ARCmania's pill is also used in TNC N-cell & TNC AA.

pokkuhlag

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Hallis said:
Id be on somebody about those reflectors, lol. Ive got a Haveblue minimini mag just begging for your pill to cure its ills. Already with a 14500. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Is there a complete "list" of people or are you just sifting through the thread andn picking them out one by one as you get them complete?

Shane

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you talking about Minipro pill or this solitair pill? I'm getting confused/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif. Cause I don't think this will fit in miniminiMag? Is there a list already for this pill?

Lambda, do you have any beamshots in comparison to the Micro Illuminator? To see the difference in Lux and hotspot size. Maybe you could update a new revision of micropill that fits both solitair and Legend AAA. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well isnt it possible for you to grind down the reflector and micro pill for a little money? I mean, I really think that this is a great light and I dont get many chances of buying things. Especially lights.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
i am interested also (both DIY and finished pill)

Question, will this work on Arc AAA head?

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where could a person buy the basic parts to build a pill? I searched Lambda's website and it appears that all of the kits and so forth are out of stock.