What 1x123 cell LED to buy? Best throw? Best Glow?

Pila_Power

Enlightened
Knowing the wealth of knowledge that your combined brains make up, I decided to place my trust in you guys now that is is time to venture into the LED world.

I'm after two single 123 cell run lights, one suited to hanging in the tent for example, the other to EDC and search for stuff in the car with etc.

Reason being, I have a Mag Solitaire laying around which I'd love to send out to get modded in the brightest possible way but dunno who or how... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

I'd also like to purchase, based on your collective recommendations, a glow-type single 123 cell LED light.

I forsee some camping trips on the not-too-distant horizon.

OK GUYS!!!! FIRE AWAY!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Pila_Power said:
I'd also like to purchase, based on your collective recommendations....a glow-type single 123 cell LED light.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, I wonder what that is?

Well, I'd suggest looking at the stuff from Peak LED Solutions for starters.

Ophiuchus

Newly Enlightened
The new Tektite LS Splash -Lite is very nice. Waterproof, good runtime and lightweight. It isn't a eye burner though. I do like the useful beam and wide spill the beam produces. Just another light to ponder. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Pila_Power said:
Oh, my bad - glow meaning as in general area light, not uni-directional.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, then I'd check into the Inova 24/7. It has lots of useful functions and multi-colored LED choices. Runs on a single 123 lithium cell.

Krit

Enlightened
In my openion the led come with 2 differences type depend on design.

Some are very far, light will go to long distance but may not bright when we see at near surrounding.

Some are very bright in near distance, (grow?) we can see every thing within 6-10 meter but not very far.

cy

Flashaholic
Re: What 1x123 cell LED to buy? Best throw? Best G

welcome to cpf and hold on to your wallet.

you didn't state your budget...

for one light that will do both jobs, tent and general purpose. you need a LED light with at least two levels. in no particular order

1. Firefly with tuned two stage switch & tuned Nx-05 optic aprox. $160
2. Surefire L1 aprox. $125
3. Sure U2 aprox. $270

firefly is very small to EDC, very powerful for size
L1 is medium size, very handy
U2 is kinda big, My EDC, very bright & versitile

ARC AAA for a backup light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

u2 size.JPG

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
For the EDC portion of your requirements, maybe a surefire L1? It's small, although not tiny, and the two brightness levels seems like it would be useful for camping. (I've got one with a red LED that I'll use for astronomy.)

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
Oh man, in my haste, I forgot to mention another light you should consider - the Nuwai QIII! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/stupid.gif

I've got a couple of these. (Or rather my sons have them.) These are awesome little lights - really good quality, especially for the money. They are very bright, and the beam quality is terrific, and it's a good compromise between throw and flood. Only one brightness level (very bright), but for the money this light is tough to beat. You'll see lots of other folks raving over these lights - there's a good reason for it. This light may very well be the best compromise between price / performance / size available today. It's really a super little light.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Surefire L1 with the FO4 Beamshaper (a $12 part) is nice. This gives you a soft flood for most around camp uses, and if you really want the extra throw its easy enough to slip the beamshaper off.

I really like my U2, but even on lowest it can be pretty bright in a dark tent, and its big enough to be awkward to carry when lightly clothed.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]

This particular light has gotten almost NO mention here on CPF. I gave one of these as a Christmas gift - it is rather compact, and BRIGHT. Check out S1801 Pocket Size 1-Watt Luxeon Star Flashlight $24.99

[/ QUOTE ]

I have asked about them before. A similar light is on the advancedmart.com website. My guess is that these no-name lights that are only available from one place don't attract buyers so not many people get them.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
bjn70 said:
[ QUOTE ]
This particular light has gotten almost NO mention here on CPF. I gave one of these as a Christmas gift - it is rather compact, and BRIGHT. Check out S1801 Pocket Size 1-Watt Luxeon Star Flashlight $24.99

[/ QUOTE ]
I have asked about them before.
My guess is that these no-name lights that are only available from one place don't attract buyers so not many people get them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm.....

does a comparison review with lots of pics count? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

S1801 1w Luxeon 1xCR123 (link)

I agree, this is a really good value compact and bright 1watt 1x CR123 Luxeon.

Here's a perhaps not quite so "silly" comparison beamshot -
against a Streamlight Scorpion Xenon 2x CR123
S1801ScorpionBeam.jpg

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast

Has anyone compared the S1801 to the Nuwai QI?

I missed a chance to buy a QI on sale for $24.00.

Which would you chose if the S1801 and QI were the same price?

Pila_Power

Enlightened

Thanks for all the input guys, I'm going to look into all the suggestions and see what I can come up with.

Does anyone still do LED mods on the Mag Solitaire?

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast

UnknownVT:

Thanks for posting the link to that review.
Who knows, maybe there will be a LS3 version available someday!

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Pila_Power said:
Thanks for all the input guys, I'm going to look into all the suggestions and see what I can come up with.

Does anyone still do LED mods on the Mag Solitaire?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. ASAP and,,,, damn someone else i can't remember. VDG

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
LightObsession said:
Has anyone compared the S1801 to the Nuwai QI?

I missed a chance to buy a QI on sale for $24.00.

Which would you chose if the S1801 and QI were the same price?

[/ QUOTE ]

The CPF battle cry: "Buy them both!"

I have the S1801 and think it doesn't look as good as the Nuwai [I have the Q-III]. Output isn't too bad. Mine has a Q2H, a modified MiniMag reflector, and will soon have a UCL lens. My original lens got scratched up too much in my pocket. As far as output of the Q-I, I've not seen one in person, but the textured reflector will make a smoother/less bright appearing beam than the S1801.

I also wish I could have gotten one of the Q-I flashlights for the $24. That would have been a great buy. Oh well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif