Malkoff        

Thread: Use PS/2 port with USB Mouse?

Default Use PS/2 port with USB Mouse?

I just bought a Microsoft Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse and I'm afraid to take it out of the package just in case this won't work (I doubt the retailer will accept a return once it's been used). The package says "USB only" but I'd like to use my regular PS/2 mouse port since I use the USB port for other things. If I use one of those USB to PS/2 adaptors, will the mouse still work? I did this with another corded Microsoft optical mouse that I bought but it came with the adaptor.

Default Re: Use PS/2 port with USB Mouse?

It should work fine. I've done that with quite a few. Most retailers will take hardware back with receipt, but not software. Software can be pirated.

If it doesn't come with an adapter there is no gaurantee it will work with one because the driver written for the device may not have support for it through that adapters I/O port/address location.

If it's wireless I bet it draws more power.
    Can a PS2 port provide the same as a USB?

Don't know if the PS/2 can support as much as the USB port, but it can support enough for a wireless mouse receiver. I had a couple of wireless Logitechs with adapters that just worked fine. However, those USB-2-PS2 adapters are not standardized, I believe.

On a side note to flashlite, if you have a PCMCIA slot available, you can get quite nice additional USB PCMCIA cards. I got one with 4 USB2.0 ports from BestBuy for ~$40 (over a year ago). Works extremely nice, although you have to pay attention to high bandwidth applications, since two USB ports share the full 2.0 bandwidth.

Flashaholic

...or the simple solution of a USB hub.