M*glite drop in LED

skillet

Enlightened
Hey you all...

Newbie here and I was wanting opinions from anyone that has used "drop in" replacement L.E.D.'s on their M*G's..

Thanks in advance...

THis is Skillet and the 3x123 "c" mod I built today is cooking....(Thanks flashaholics)

By the way The space shuttle crew called... can you shut that light off, they're trying to sleep...

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
You can read reviews for some of the different ones available at Flashlight Reviews.com:
EverLED Review
Diamond LED Review
Tekite Replacement LED

or at LED Museum.org:

EverLED
Diamond LED

I've only had experince with the Inretech LED for the Minimag. I really think it's great. It is much brigther than stock and you get all the advantages of LED technology.
Heres a review from LED Museum of the Inretech LED:

Inretech

I almost forgot: Welcome to CPF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif (Buy them all!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

baylisstic

Enlightened
I had the diamond 3W drop-in: It's really bright, but doesn't focus as well. The yellow stuff (die?) is too far away from the base. I gave it to a friend for christmas.

The everled in my Blue Maglite: Not as bright as the diamond above, but focuses much better. The difference in brightness is noticeable.

(Edit: Not a drop-in)
Black maglight(3W/TV1K) from 3rd_shift: Brighter than the everled, but slightly less bright than the diamond 3w, probably because it's less white.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I over resistored it for maximum service life.

It will get brighter though with use as the Luxeon3 loses a little of it's forward voltage resistance over time with use.

Airmon

Newly Enlightened
I've got an everLED in my 4D M*g I used to use nightly as a taxi driver, ready to light up a house address or adjust the attitude of an unruly passenger, and had tried a variety of locally sourced bulbs ( cut me some slack here, this was early 90's). Brightest was a Radio Shack Krypton that was a little overdriven, but didn't fail me.

It's been retired from professional duty for a while now, but I switched to the everLED about 6 months ago, and I love it. I now carry it on long night walks in a side backpack pocket with the head sticking out, ready for quick access.

It's VERY white compared with my ARC 4+ Second (EDC), my Streamlight 3AAA luxeon tasklight ( door pocket of my Explorer), or my AA-Lithium CMG Reactor (glovebox of wife's car, lithiums for long standby) and brighter than any of them.
The focusability of the M*G is still intact, and even though tests I've seen of the everLED say that the total light output is about even to the original bulb in a 4D M*G, I feel mine is significantly brighter than stock with a much smoother hotspot when focused and more throw than the original. It's turned a retired light new life as a valued member of my flashlight family.
I gave another everLED to my Stepfather for his birthday, to upgrade the 3D M*G he carries on his night maintenance shift, and he's been thrilled with how long his batteries have lasted and how bright it has been.

We're two for two with everLED so far...

GR

Newly Enlightened
Is there a run time plot available for the everLED in a 2D, 4D or rechargable mag application?

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Diamond® LED bulb replacement for Maglite® 3 Watt

I am also interested in changing my 3-D cell Maglite. I have been using 4-C cells with a multiple LED that I bought on E-Bay, but the LEDs were not very long lasting. Is the Diamond® LED bulb replacement for Maglite® 3 Watt the best I can do for a 3-D Maglite, or can I do better?

scudinc

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
baylisstic said:
I had the diamond 3W drop-in: It's really bright, but doesn't focus as well. The yellow stuff (die?) is too far away from the base. I gave it to a friend for christmas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was it the lambertian or side-emitter?

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am sort of leaning toward the Diamond® LED bulb replacement for Maglite® 3 Watt. Here is my concern, however. I have a Stinger HP that has been modified with custom battery packs and an UltraStinger bulb. It seems to have been re-allocated by my wife for use in her job as a school bus driver. She likes a bright light. (She showed me a yellow rubber 2 D-cell that they issue and was less than over-whelmed by it!) I would like to get my custom Stinger back and probably the only way to do it is to get her a light that meets her satisfaction. I already have this 3-D Maglite and I am thinking of getting this Diamond, but I am wondering what you guys think as far as this application. Will this work out okay for illuminating the under the hood area of a school bus? How will it compare in brightness to a Stinger with an UltraStinger bulb? Do you thing a Side Emitting bulb or Lambertian bulb would work out better in this application?

scudinc

Enlightened
Re: Diamond® LED bulb replacement for Maglite® 3 Watt

Side-emitter, definitely. Never having looked under a bus's hood, I wouldn't know if it would provide adequate illumination, but it is very, very bright.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Diamond® LED bulb replacement for Maglite® 3 W

Side emitter is the way to go for her in the 3 watt size.
Especially for a drop in adaptor for an existing light.
A new light could be:
A 5 watt spaceneedle2 clone.
It will also work well, but kinda $$$.
A Nuwai tm116 at 7 inches length and 2 cr123 batteries ought to do the trick for her with it's adjustable beam and 5 watt star.
Just my sales pitch, but the 3 watt dropin looks about right in her case.

baylisstic

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
scudinc said:
[ QUOTE ]
baylisstic said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Was it the lambertian or side-emitter?

[/ QUOTE ]

lambertian

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast

How many lumens is the Diamond® LED bulb replacement for Maglite® 3 Watt?