What is the cheapest/easiest mag mod?

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everyone, I am looking for a easy, cheap, safe, decent, mag mod. Not for the minimags, but like the 2C or 2 or 3D ones. I want to stay away from 123s. What Mag Mod best fits this description?

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can get your hands on 2 3AAtoD adaptors, run rechargable batteries with a KPR112 in a mag 2D. same as the popular 2C mod, but Without the 123s.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well Wayne has restocked on those so I might be able to try that. What kind of bulb is that?

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Steve,

Get yourself either an O-sink or a hot lips heat sink for a Mag 2D. You could use one of the 1W emitters that you have for a 3C cell direct drive mod. It's pretty simple to do and the output is awesome. If you don't mind the light being big, you could do the mod with a 3D body and just direct drive the luxeon on 3D cells. The Ds have LOTS of capacity.

If you're just going to feed it with alkalines, you can get away with a K Vf (maybe even a J) luxeon. If you want to use NiMH cells, I'd use a L Vf luxeon.

Do you have a soldering iron yet?

PM me if you need anything.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I put 4 C cells in a 3D mag. Changed the original spring for a smaller one sanded the inside of the tailcap. The 3D bulb will run OK with 4 cells BTW.

You might be able to fit 3C batts in a 2D mag, haven't tried it.

theepdinker

Enlightened
Three C cells will fit in a two D cell Mag.

Slip a 5 inch length of 1 inch diameter PVC pipe into the light body.

Remove tail cap spring & sand the inside of the cap to bare metal.

Just checked a couple of springs I have.
There are at least two different D cell spring designs. Remove coils that start out against each other before they are compressed, then cut the battery spring so you have 2 & 1/2 coils of the small end of the spring.

Install 3 C cells (rechargeables are best). Set the small diameter end of the spring against the battery base & screw on the cap.

Don't forget to change the bulb to one that can handle the increased voltage.

Theepdinker

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you dont want to mess with 123's then id suggest what everybody else is saying, puc C's in a D mag, shorten the spring, and change out the bulb to one of higher rating. Thats about as easy as it gets. You can always go to LED's but that envolves spending a bit more on parts and a bit more work. Although i think the results are worth it.

You could get real crazy and get one of the 8xAA to 2xD non-regulated adapters available in the group buy section. hehe load them up with 14500's and youve got over 35 volts!!! lol j/k

Shane

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not necessarily the cheapest, but certainly easy - take a 2 C or D size mag - replace the bulb with a 4 cell bulb, and replace the standard alkalines batteries with Li batteries. Beam is - well - not really better quality, but bright for the size. Run time will be really long, which is good since the battery cost will be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
A very simple/cheap mod for the 3C/3D is go to Radio Shack and buy an XPR103 xenon bulb for $1.29 or so. It's significantly brighter and whiter than the stock bulb.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've done several of these upgrades for friends and everyone has been happy with the results. This mod will turn out the street light in front of my house.

Host:
1) M*g 4D with 4 D cell alkalines = 6V
2) M*g 3D with 4 C cell alkalines = 6V

Bulb:
CL 606 (Carley 3 cell, 3.7v, 1.7A, 95 lumens.) $3.11

Pushed to 6v, bulb output, theoretical, = 517 lumens

3) optional - smooth out the beam with a LOP reflector, $20

4) optional - add a UCL lens, $7

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
[ QUOTE ]
Mags_despiser said:
Hi everyone, I am looking for a easy, cheap, safe, decent, mag mod. <snip> What Mag Mod best fits this description?

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
My real suggestion is get a drop-in LED module. Depends on your definition of cheap though.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I'm always thinking in terms of luxeons. I hadn't even considered the other modding options using incand bulbs.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Chop said:
Sorry, I'm always thinking in terms of luxeons. I hadn't even considered the other modding options using incand bulbs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah me too. Ive only recently looked into Incan upgrading.

Shane

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, I noticed the term "safe" in your mod description. You know, there's electrically conductive expoxy available. You could do a luxeon mag mod and never have to solder a joint. That's the way it's supposed to work anyway.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Wits' End said:
[ QUOTE ]
Mags_despiser said:
Hi everyone, I am looking for a easy, cheap, safe, decent, mag mod. <snip> What Mag Mod best fits this description?

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
My real suggestion is get a drop-in LED module. Depends on your definition of cheap though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't LED Replacements do them for $23? Think they can be found over in the dealers' corner. They are a CPF supporting dealer and their LED replacement prices are the most affordable I've seen.

Hallis, incan mods can be fun....... especially when for <$100 you can outdo the Surefire M6.

MrMimizu

Enlightened
Mags_despiser,
tell ya what, if you plan on doing a led mag mod,
pm me your address and I'll ship you out a TWOJ emitter to go in it.
You'll have to get yourself a hotlips or something ot stick it on though.
Might as well go Lux 3 if you gonna make a mog as big as mag.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The drop in Lux modules seem pretty nice, but the output can't be all that impressive. I just don't know where all of that heat would go if the module was running a lux at 700mA or so.

Steve,

You might as well jump in with both feet and do the real mod. Stick a luxeon in that mag and direct drive it. If you do a 3D mag mod, that thing will run forever on a set of batteries.