Brinkman maxfire

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does the brinkman maxfire compare to the surefire g2 in throw? how about in lumens? How is the light quality?

-David

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't have a G2. But the Maxfires beam is extremely nice, no artifacts, completely smooth, nice hotspot. Brightness is very comparable to the SL Scorpion, but the Brinkmann's beam is much nicer.

mahoney

Enlightened
I have had access to both and have used both at work, (G2 with P60) but can't compare them side by side at the moment. IIRC they both throw about equally well and are comparable in brightness but the G2 had better beam quality. The G2 is a bit "better made" IMO in terms of "fit and finish", but for the price the Brinkman is a very good bargin and has a clickie switch, if that makes a difference.

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
The Maxfire is a pretty awesome light! It has a very nice smooth beam and a nice clickie switch. I think it's a great deal, although the G2 is only about $10-15 more.

Your choice.

vhyper007

Enlightened
although this reply isn't on point with the G2 I can tell you I own several surefires (with which I can find no fault) but the lively discussion about the maxfire lx piqued my curiousity and I went out and bought 2 of the damn things. I have no regrets. There is precious little to argue in initial throw and beam shape, maybe there will be somewhere down the road but for now if anyone wants a damn good under $20 dollar exnon 2-123 they should look no further that the maxfire.
Like several others said before me if it does turn out to be a turd you still aint out much.

LightHearted

Enlightened
Another thing to think about with inexpensive lights is the replacement bulb price. The Maxfire's bulbs are $5 postage paid, while the stock G2 bulbs are more than tripple that not including postage. They both have about the same life expectancy too. And I think the recessed momentary clicky switch on the Maxfire is a much more useful switch for non tactical purposes than the one on the G2. The G2 switch protrudes from the body and can easily be accidentally switched on if bumped. There was a recent post around here in which a G2 in a locker was suspected of causing a fire. I've heard people say that you should remove the batteries for long term storage of the G2, but it seems a little strange to have to reinsatall the batteries when a sudden "tactical" situation arises. I don't have either of these lights, but I think the Maxfire will fit my needs better than the G2.

mahoney

Enlightened
The Maxfire's switch isn't recessed enough to prevent the light from coming on if you push the switch end of the light against a flat surface. Just one reason why this light is not my EDC in a holster. It won't tail-stand either. Both the Maxfire and the G2 can be locked-out by unscrewing the bezel a bit

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
There ain't nothing wrong with the Maxfire!

I'd tell you to stay the heck away from the rechargable one... but the 2L is a keeper!

It isn't anywhere NEAR as easy to accidently activate as a stock G2! And the momentary-on-off switch is good stuff!

junior

Enlightened
i need to buy another P60 lamp for my G2 and am not happy that the lamp itself will cost about the same as a brand new maxfire. From what i hear the maxfire bulbs are about 4.00bucks. Sounds like i may have to get a maxfire for a genral use/ back up incan

LightHearted

Enlightened
And how consistent is the Surefire bulb quality? I've seen more than one picture of a P60 beam that looks like this one from Quickbeam's review of the 6P.

surefire_6p_target.jpg

haley1

Enlightened
2 MF complete and ready to go, about $40. 1SF G2 with extra lamp and bat's, about $56. Beam quality, my experience, SF. Convenience, MF. Compactness, SF. Durability, to be determined. Color choice, SF. MF, made in China. SF, made in USA. Pride of ownership? Some will think it silly, but I'll stick with SF.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another thing to mention concerning beam quality is that if the bulb/reflector centering isn't perfect, you can loosen the head/bezel and shake it slightly and tighten it again and repeat this process until the bulb is perfectly centered. If a Surefire bulb isn't 100.00000% centered, you need to either buy a new one or get used to it.

Personally, I don't get nearly that hung up on if the beam is 97% round vs 100% round. Most folks can only tell when shining on a white wall less than 3 feet away. In actual use, the beam posted above is basically perfect.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I liked it well enough to throw one in my parent's glove box for emergencies. The lithium should last well in the near artic cold of Oregon (My God, it's 28 degrees outside!) and prolonged storage.

Daniel

LightHearted

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cratz2 said:In actual use, the beam posted above is basically perfect.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's probably very true. It's just that if I saved up my money and shelled out for a C2, I would be a little disappointed if its beam looked like that. I would probably get over it after I started using it, but for the price I don't think people should have to settle. I bet that if someone was unhappy enough SF would send a replacement. It sounds like they stand behind their products pretty well.