**New Pics** Bare aluminum E head mod

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys,

Just wanted to share again.

I was messin' around in the shop today and found a piece of scrap aluminum that was just long enough for a 1X123 body. This is what I came up with...

picture.JPG

The head is, of course, a modified E head. I removed most of the scallop in the bezel ring, but left some of it. I really like the idea of being able to see if I accidentally left the light on. The Light Engine is a TXOK Direct Drive unit and the battery is an R123 that I got from JSB. The reflector is a turned down McR20.

The tail cap is a slim McE2S that I turned the top off of and turned into a flat top. I understand that these are now available. The thing about this flat top is that I used a bit of a thinner membrane material and this allowed me to leave a bit more meat on the top of the module. What this results in is a captured module in the flat top switch that came be locked out. I haven't given it a work out yet and don't know how water resistant it is yet. Although I've never had any problems with the flat top with the thicker membrane, I just wanted to try something a little different.

The body is what became of that scrap piece of aluminum. I left the center section smooth but left two raised sections and knurled them. The forward stop gives you something to hold on to when turning the switch. I was always loosening the head by accident, so I went with the knurling on the body rather than on the head. The rear raised section, with knurling, allows a cigar type grip. I also added a lanyard attachment hole in the ring. I have a tiny McGizmo clip through it.

The light measures 3.2" from the tip of the head to the end of the switch, in the off position. All in all, I think it came out OK.

Here are a few more pics...

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

And a beam shot taken 20' from a white wall and couch...
picture.JPG

**EDIT**

It kind of bothered me that the knurling on the switch didn't match the knurling on the body, so I made another switch for it.

This one is also a flat top with a captured module. I used another thin membrane and I left the top a bit thick, as you can see by the bevel. I did this to allow the light to stand on end.

Here's some pics...

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

Now I can say that the light is finished. I like this and I think the new switch "fits" the look of the light better. Now what do I do with it?

Thanks for looking,

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Bare aluminum E head mod

and its for sale right? c'mon, ya know you're obligated to. and to that end. DIBBS! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Shane

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ahhh, it'll probably wind up in BST later this week. I have way TOO MANY home made and modded lights hanging around.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yah and since i work nights i'll probably miss my chance to buy it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Shane

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast

You just get better and better Tony! Nice work. You ever thought about slapping together a little CR2 or N cell mini?

Kiessling

Flashaholic

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
great mod Tony! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif ... except for the DD /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Any idea how the original E-Series reflector will perform with a HD LuxIII? Or a SE?
bernhard

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast

Another Chop job. Nice light! I really dont understand how some people do things like this... it seems so impossible.

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very nice Chop. Glad to see you making new custom lights.

mut

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

Great job, Tony, including being DD! I think there are a lot of opportunities being missed for DD. Either with the JSB R123/K-bin or with even a CR2 and good H-bin. Runtimes are insane!

Larry ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif -> Bernie )

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Cool Tony! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif With a CR123 the DD is pretty useful too, IMHO!

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bernhard,

I only recently started doing the E head mods using the LE and McR reflector. This was after I caught one of Don's off handed comments about it possibly working.

The way the mod was done in the past was to bore out the head minimally allowing the use of and esink/ecan combo and utilizing the stock reflector. Although I found this mod to be more useful than a stock E1e, it doesn't even approach the performance of the mod done with an LE and Aleph reflector. The beam with the stock reflector is characterized by a very broad sidespill with an almost useless hotspot. If you are going to do the mod, just for the hell of it, stick with a high dome. The side emitter casts a rather ugly beam and turns the already useless hotspot into something even more useless.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Tony ... thanx for the explanation!
And no, *I* really won't do *any* kind of mod except changing my batteries every now and then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry and Don ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

bernie

PAtwood

Newly Enlightened

I like it Tony! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Doc

Enlightened

Tony Looks good! So how many are you going to make in this first run? I would like to get in on one of these! Should we start a list? Doc. Ha!Ha!

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't think I'll be doing any runs of anything. Like always, just a different light every once in a while.

That's what Don is for. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

This light is finished by the way. Check out the edit.

[ QUOTE ]
Hallis said:
Yah and since i work nights i'll probably miss my chance to buy it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Shane

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, uh, Shane, I'll, uh, keep my eyes out for you. NOT! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Man, Chop, that thing is sweet. You're a magician. I didn't mind your modded body with the McGizmo tailcap. The unmatched knurling doesn't bother me. That little light is just freakin' gorgeous. I WANT IT! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif It IS my birthday today, after all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks!! The switch and body were turned from scratch. Now I'm starting to think that I should have made a custom head for it too, rather than just modding an E head.

Oh well. It is what it is. It does look pretty nice though.