Low-end Widescreen TV's?

iseethelight

Newly Enlightened
Low-end Widescreen TV\'s?

We are considering buying a new TV, and I wondered whether it is currently worth considering buying a widescreen model?

When you see TV shows (eg: ER, Enterprise) with the black bars top & bottom - would you be able to fill the widescreen TV with that even if you're on basic cable?

How big a screen do you need? I saw a 30in. Sanyo at Walmart for a low price, but it looked quite a bit smaller than our current standard format 27in. - so is a 34in. the minimum?

The old school CRT TV's look brighter (and cheaper) than the projection models - any thoughts?

And as to brand names - any feedbag on the big brands - Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic, Samsung, Sanyo, Philips, etc.?

Thanx in advance - any leads on these questions would be most appreciated...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Low-end Widescreen TV\'s?

I have a Sony 34-XBR960, which is Sony's top of the line 34" CRT HD 16:9 television. I went with the "old school CRT" because they have good value, and still offer the best picture in certain regards. When I am watching a 4:3 show on my 16:9 television, it gives me a four options. I use "wide zoom" which keeps the center of the frame normal, and only stretches out the edges so they cover the black bars. I notice minimal distorion in this mode, and it makes it look like you are watching a regular 16:9 broadcast.

The size of the tv depends on how far away from it you plan on sitting.

lymph

Enlightened

I saw on the news that widescreen TVs are "poised to drop price significantly" Maybe you should wait a month or two.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast

it was suggested that wide screen tv's would come down in price but that was because intel was supposed to come out with their version of LCOS (liquid crystal on silicone) but they dropped out of the market a month ago. Fact is, rear projection sets are capable of delivery much better pictures than direct view sets. I purchased a widescreen (crt based) rear projection set a year ago and you get more bang for your buck with a similarly priced rear projection. If you want to do some serious reading, the most intensive forum on the internet where much can be learned is here.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/
a 34" direct view set is the equivalent of a 27" 4:3. I have a $22 radio shack uhf antenna, built in tuner and get High Definition TV for free because I have line of site to the local hd transmission tower. I get all my local channels in uncompressed digital view and a total of approximately 15 channels for free.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Someone has done the lcos. I noticed this when looking at my crutchfield mag last night.

Lcos JVC

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
keithhr said:
I have a $22 radio shack uhf antenna, built in tuner and get High Definition TV for free because I have line of site to the local hd transmission tower. I get all my local channels in uncompressed digital view and a total of approximately 15 channels for free.

[/ QUOTE ]

You stink! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
keithhr said:
Fact is, rear projection sets are capable of delivery much better pictures than direct view sets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not according to Consumer Reports.

From CNet's Quick Guide to TV Types:
[ QUOTE ]
High-end tube TVs can give a great-looking picture. CRTs are still the kings of black level, a term used to describe the quality and the depth of black and other very dark colors. Direct-view tube sets look good from any angle, so the picture quality doesn't change depending on where you sit. These TVs can also be viewed in brightly lit rooms and last 5 to 10 years with only a minimal loss in picture quality.

[/ QUOTE ]

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

I finally got my RCA 32" tube normal view TV fixed and it's in my Dads living room.

I can't see any reason to ever get rid of it until it croaks for good!

I've never been able to see a better picture anywhere I've looked. That COULD be a result of input quality however.

It's funny how when a Hi Def commercial comes on the picture quality DOES improve....