Streamlight Jr. switch problem

woolfam

Newly Enlightened
My Streamlight Jr. LED started having switch problems. Sometimes it would turn on and sometimes it would not. I returned it to them for repair and they told me that since it was a regulated light it would behave this way when the batteries would run low. With fresh batteries the light performs as it should. Anyone else have this experience? Sound reasonable?

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Yeah, I experienced the same thing; when the cells drop below a certain voltage, it won't start back up again. I switched to NiMH and recharge them after about an hour or so and I don't have the problem anymore. It's really spooky when it happens, though; having the light totally quit is counter-intuitive.

Mattman

Enlightened
When it happens to me, I can usually switch it on and off a few times until it does come back on or wait a minute for the batteries to recover just enough to work. Once you get it back on, leave it on until you have new batteries to put in it (as long as you need light, that is). That's worked for me until I could recharge the batts or grab a charged set to throw in it.

woolfam

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the confirmations. I thought maybe my switch was going bad. Good day!

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had it happen to me a couple of times. To counter this problem I run my JR on NiMH's. If I feed it the newer Energizer 2500mAH's I usually make it a habit to change out with freshly charged of the same capacity every couple of days no matter how much I use it. It I am using the lower capacity cells like my 1600's then everyday or stretch out to every other. Doens't take long to take stock of your needs.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, NiMH will help too, no voltage sag when it starts and pulls a lot of current. Mine was doing this in cold weather with even fresh Alkalines. I switched to NiMH, and have never had a problem since..

My cells havne't been charged in close to 6 months and still work fine in my SL JR /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've though about putting a TWOH luxIII for extended runtime and brightens. That way 350ma drive would be way below 3.0v so it'd stay lit forever!!!

Raven

Enlightened
My SL JR had this problem, right out of the box, with new batteries.

I returned it.

For the record, I also had some mechanical problems with a
SL 7 led, that I bought last year

I'm now pretty much done with Streamlights.

Northernflame

Newly Enlightened
It is true that the sl jr has this low power problem.

However there are a couple other things you should be made aware of.

#1: Be certain to properly clean the threads on the clicky cap and the fl body. This is a common problem paticularly with mini maglites (improper conductivity [dirt, oil form hands, aluminum dust and aluminum oxide] in the threads).

#2: Check your clicky spring as well to be certain that it's clean and sitting well and strongly on the battery pole.

Again like mini maglites it's a good idea to always have good contact.

Enjoy

P.S .I've noticed on brand new sl jr's that if you giggle the fl left and right you have hear the batteries jiggle.

The batteries should not jiggle around so much.

RDC_Enterprises

Newly Enlightened
To solve the battery rattle, take a Post-it note and roll the batteries up like a cigarette, install, replace the cap and enjoy a new level of stealth.

A cheesy fix, but it works.

Latest posts