MadMax+ WO with optics? UCL? 3 AA's?!?

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
MadMax+ WO with optics? UCL? 3 AA\'s?!?

It looks like I'll be getting the MadMad+ WO for my old (good 10 years) Minimag. If someone knows of an even brighter sandwich, please let me know ASAP before I buy! The MadMax drives a Lux 3 at 800mh, but if I can get even a bit higher...
I could certainly use some configuration advice based on the based on the fact that I'm looking to make the brightest damn little Mini in NY, or at least Long Island. I'm willing to trade a fair amount of battery and LED life for this.
I also have some questions.
1. What's the difference between the TX0J and TX1J variations?
2. Are there any optics I can add onto this or any other bright as hell sandwich to get a little tighter beam?
3. I have a threaded third battery extension tube that allows 3 AA's to be used. Will this have the effect of giving either brighter light or longer runtime? Or will I just end up with a toasted sandwich?... I'll have mine with cheese.
4. Do I need to be looney enough over a Mini to get a UCL? Will any difference be visible?
5. Will lithium AA's give some extra kick?
Sorry for so many questions in one post. All suggestions are welcome! I'm open to variation here in my quest to make a Minimonster.

Takifugu

Newly Enlightened
Re: MadMax+ WO with optics? UCL? 3 AA\'s?!?

I do not think that a MadMax would drive a Lux III at 800mA.
As refered in the following chart from the shoppe, the MM+ is about the same as the BB500, ie. 500mA.
I believe that the NextGen 750mA would be about the limit for a practical light using the MiniMag.
AA Sandwich Comparison Chart

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Geez this is getting a bit confusing. At least in terms of noticing there are more sandwich choices than I thought. Thanks for the link, Takifugu. The chart seems to suggest there's a BB1000, etc. I could'a sworn Dat2Zip's site stated the MM+ WO drives at 800. I'll check again.
Still looking for answers to the rest of the questions.

John

Takifugu

Newly Enlightened

Since nobody else has responded, I will try to answer your other questions.

1. TX0J has a whiter tint TX1J is more yellowish.
2. Optics option for Minimag mods are Fraen LP and NX05. Fraen has a tigher spot. You can also use SO17XA reflector, this has the nicest hot spot IMO.
3. Adding the 3rd battery may blow your converter, Vin > Vf not recommended.
4. UCL or anti-reflective coating on lens looks nice, it is brighter than mineral glass if measured using Lux meter, as for visible difference, I cannot tell.
5. Sorry, no experience with litium batteries. The starting voltage may be too high using 2 litiums.
6. 2 AA batteries may not be able to provide sufficient current to drive high powered converters like BB1000 in regulation. Also, Minimag host is not good at dispersing heat and gets hot quickly at higher currents. Heat does no good to Luxeons, and brightness gets lower with heat.
I realize you are looking for a *Minimonster* but IMHO, I like the NextGen 500mA, T flux LED and NX05 optics assembly with the Minimag best.
Hope someone may chime in for extras.