what light for a forest ranger in Maine?

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
a friend of a friend who is a forest ranger here is doing me a big favor, and i'd like to thank him by buying him the obligatory flashlight for a gift thing we flashaholics do to spread our luv.

requirements aren't too strict... just a couple:
1) impressive runtime
2) affordable/can be replaced without paying your rent late

alkalines would be the safe way to go, but to be honest, i have no idea regarding his financial background. i'm pretty sure he could afford lithiums and wouldn't mind the idea if he could get runtime longer than a 3C Maglite offers.

brightness, i have no idea of his preferences in that area. but we all know that you can find a light surprisingly useful when it's not what you might've been looking for originally.

that's why i was seeking opinions actually. from anyone who is a forest ranger, friend of a forest ranger, or has extended work experience in the woods including duties similar to that of a forest ranger, etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

he also helps his step-father tap tree's for pure Maine maple syrup (we got the last tap this year! mmmmmm), and lives out in the middle of nowhere (his wife commutes almost an hour and works with my mother).

so what do you think?

junior

Enlightened
i would think one of those UK lights with their awesome runtime with use of regular alk's. There not too bright or have a lot of throw, but not sure if thats needed if he's a park ranger working in the dark a lot.

UK's seem quite affordable too....

Or maybe a nice led headlamp......

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah, i'm also trying to figure out what he'd get the most use out of, without tipping him off. i don't know him yet, but i know his wife.

i know he's been doing cold weather training and first aid @ Mars Hill Mountain here in Maine. they also stay in cabins (generator powered) quite often for decent periods of time.

javafool

Enlightened
I sold an Elektrolumens FT-3C to a friend who is a working State Park manager about 6 or 8 months ago He uses it every evening to walk his dog. Since he lives on the premises he has also used it for evening duties and has nothing but great things to say about the flashlight. The Blaster 3P is also a great light but I think both are currently sold out.

When he gets them in, either should make a great flashlight. The good news with alkaline batteries is that they would probably be provided free if he uses the light on the job.

watt4

Enlightened
well, I've been wanting to try a streamlight twin task. I think a light with high/low options would be good for the woods.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Hmmm... The UK 4AA LED? He could use lithiums in there. From what I hear it's beam is not the brightest, but it is of good quality and the runtime isn't bad either.

I'm a big fan of headlamps when it comes to outdoor stuff. A Black Diamond Gemini maybe? BD also has some models with external battery carriers for cold weather.

You know, for impressive runtime you can't go wrong with the Infinity Ultra. I hear the new Gerber Trio is also nice, but haven't even seen one yet, so please take my comment with a grain'o salt.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh. of course. salt shaker is on stand-by. i brainstorm better in groups tho, y'know? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

it's good help considering i don't know him or what he would find most useful, and i can't ask him, as that would sort of ruin the surprise thank you gift.

i check out lights everyday just like everyone, but when it comes to bestowing one upon another, then everything from the PT Corona to the Gerber LX 3.0 and everything else in between is up for grabs.

junior

Enlightened
The more i give this some thought, the more i think (my .2cents) that a head lamp might do the trick.

My friends and i have just got into the head lamp thing...

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Streamlight TT-3C has runtime of 33.5 hours on low, 18 hours on med and 2.25 hours on hi. Also has good knurling so it shouldn't slip out of gloved hand.

If you want to give him a light that uses 123 batteries, then the SureFire G2 shold work fine...the composit body should not get cold to the hand.

Both lights are in the $30 range.

dda

Newly Enlightened
Check out Cabelas.com for their 6W Extreme LED light.It runs on D cells and is bright.

turbodog

Flashaholic
There are the diamond drop in modules for c/d mag lites. They are bright, regulated, simple to use, and have the kind of throw he is used to seeing.

For the pocket, a badboy sandwich in the 350-450 range would be nice. It has decent runtime and is a solid product.

There is also the opalec dropin for the minimag.

The uk 4aa eled is a good choice.

I also vote for the "if it uses alkalines he can likely get them free" suggestion. There are PLENTY of nice lights that run on alkalines.

I'd vote against the blaster series. The current crop is really dim.

There's also the 2d streamlight twin task. Not my personal choice, but it's led and incan. Best of both worlds. Bulbs don't cost a fortune either.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Or.... you could do this..... sort different but it makes a nice combo.

streamlight scorpion
pila charger
pila 168s cell (only 1 req'd, 2 will give him a spare)
strion bulb

hmmmm wait a sec..... you could get a strion cheaper than this. this only makes sense if you already have one or more of the components

If we go back and actually look at your requirements:
long runtime
reasonable price

The streamlight twintask 3c and/or 2d makes a LOT of sense. If he's spending time outdoors he will need a light with throw. These lights have both.

paulr

Flashaholic
I think Junior is right about a headlamp.

My philosophy about giving gifts is to try to pick something that the recipient will appreciate and find useful or enjoyable, that they would NOT have thought of buying for themselves. For most non-flashaholics, a headlamp fits that description perfectly.

Princeton Tec EOS might be a good choice; people seem to like it here. I haven't tried one yet but I do like my Aurora.

cdf

Enlightened
I'd look at the Streamlite TL-2 Incan or LED , The one I got today seems pretty sweet . Runtime plot looks pretty good , but I cant personally vouch for it . Mine is very white , I tried two others from the same shipment , all about equal color wise .

fivebyfive

Enlightened
How about a Princeton Tec surge? It's waterproof, uses cheap AA batteries, optional 4 or 8 batteries, and bright as heck. It even comes with a lanyard. This light is bulky. Definately not pocket carry, but for what it costs and the amount of light it puts out you really can't beat it. The advertised run time is 3 to 5 hours.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i am not a ranger, but i would think a smallish (pocketable, or easily carried on a belt) LED (balanced between power and runtime) might really work nicely.

a sammie, SL JR luxeon, M6LED, TL2LED, Q3, etc.

of course the twintask series are great.
an Everled could be nice.

alkies are a plus...but, i would give the nod to a modded minimag (or brinkmann) with a madmax lite, glass lens, 3 optics (NX05, fraen and S017xa) and a decent belt pouch.

here you would have a light that is bright, decent runtime, reliable, can use any battery you like, fully adjustable beam (from flood to tight), small and easy to carry (and familiar) form factor, and easy to place the "guts" into another host.

edit: oops...i just noticed you wanted inexpensive with impressive runtime.
well...you could go with a UK4AALED, and throw in an incan lamp assembly.

later,
Bob

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
[ QUOTE ]
BlindedByTheLite said:
<snip>i know he's been doing cold weather training and first aid @ Mars Hill Mountain here in Maine.

[/ QUOTE ]
If he regularly works in the cold AA alks are NOT recomended. I find at -20 a ten minute walk with a light, Ultra or 3 AA Trek light, in a gloved hand diminishes the output. I have a FT3C a nice light but I haven't used it much in the cold. I'd think C's would hold up longer in the cold but if it was in a back pack for a while the cold might reduce their output. I think you'd have the same problem with a headlamp (over a hat). So either 123's or Lith aa's would be recomended.

lenny

Newly Enlightened
Oops, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oops.gif I just realized this is the LED forum. But the C3 is still a good choice.

Here's my take on the question:
At some point in time, he'll want to use the light to search for thingies in the woods. So, he's gonna need range. How bout a Surefire C3 with a P91 Lamp?
I love mine, not too expensive (on ebay) decent run time, relatively small, and built like a brick s&*#house!
Lenny

Hans

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
lenny said:
Oops, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oops.gif I just realized this is the LED forum. But the C3 is still a good choice. <snip>
At some point in time, he'll want to use the light to search for thingies in the woods. So, he's gonna need range. How bout a Surefire C3 with a P91 Lamp?

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't as easy as that. When you're out in the woods you really want *two* lights - one that's dim enough not to destroy your night vision, and one that's bright enough to actually see things at a distance. A P 91 is so bright, you'll need quite some time before you start seeing anything again after you switched it off.

I think just about the most useful light for use in the woods is one that offers a minimum of two different light levels. Unfortunately that only seems to leave Surefires and some modded lights at the moment. It's about time Nuwai started making a Q3 with a two stage tailcap ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/Christo_pull_hair.gif

Hans