The PS fan finally croaked. New Antec Smart Power!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
The fan went flaky while I was on CPF earlier. I went to CompUSA after supper and looked at a lot of stuff.

I settled on an Antec Smart Power 400W, have it installed and the sounds are back to normal.

I chose the Antec since I had put a Smart Power case fan in a while back.

I guess this former Gateway Athlon XP 1800+ is about as normal as it can get just now!

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your power supply fan died? Man thats a first for me. I know in a lab where we had smoking allowed, the fans would make funn noises the first few minutes of operation, then they would quiet down. THe tech said he used compressed air to whirl the fans up to burn off the dust and afterwards they worked fine. Now cpu fans, yeah, I know lots of them that die. ALmost wonder if its heat related.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Re: The PS fan finally croaked. New Antec Smart Po

It got to where it was running slow and sounding weird.

I was able to stall it and make it happy once. But this last time it went wacky while I was here and nothing I tried helped.

The Antec has a good reputation anyhow!

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The PS fan finally croaked. New Antec Smart Po

I've had some fans wear out like this before. I read about oiling fans though. Here's how I keep my fans running

Remove power supply and take off the fan grill; (Note, some power supplies don't have removeable fan grills so you'll have to open the power supply (Be careful not to touch those capicators that still may be charged!) and remove the fan)

Peel the sticker off the fan. Remove the cap over the bearing well if there's one. Squirt a drop of motor oil or 3-in-one in there. Let it sit for a while to allow the oil to soak in (Give the blades a spin if you like) Replace the cap. Clean the surface with rubbing alchole and a paper towel then dry and replace the sticker.

Put the fan back in and everything back together and there you go, good as new.

I had a heatsink fan also do this and I fixed it with a drop of oil but it has worn out to the point where it needs to be oiled about every 3 months. Good reminder for me to also change the filter on my intake fan. In this case, go buy a Panaflo M1A and use it to replace the fan