Interesting, 2 LED unit that attaches directly on a 9V

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Got a new CCrane catalog today and this was in the Flashlight section. My Scanner is not hooked up so I just snapped a quick picture.

fd2599a1.jpg

fd2599a0.jpg

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Originally posted by Surefire M6:
I saw that! I would try it but I think Nichias are a bit dated. A light full of LSs would be more like it!
fd2596bc.jpg

So what do you think about the IC-R3!!! Video scanner!!!!!!!!!!! You can find those pesky $30 wireless cameras everyone has.

A hidden camera was just found at a Mariott Hotel Bathroom with a recorder hooked up to the light switch! On a typical day your on tape dozens of times, legal surveillance or otherwise.
fd25966d.jpg

"The first receiver to pick up all radio and video including television with its high resolution 2-inch color screen! Once you play with it, you cannot put it down. This radio not only has an incredible receiver for it's size, but you can receive any type of video signal. Watch private wireless video signals; helmet cameras, amateur television and all regular broadcast TV. In just under an hour Chris tuned in several shortwave stations, listened to some military aircraft off the coast and watched a little Rosie O'Donnell. He said he simply cannot wait to take this to the racetrack to receive the in-car camera systems. There is so much to tune in, you can easily fill up all 400-memory channels. It even has a simple band scope to help find an active frequency. The numerous features and complexity demand you keep the owner's manual handy until you are familiar with the functions.

Audio quality is superb for it's size. Comes with a telescopic antenna, audio/video output jack, belt clip, lithium-Ion battery pack, and wall charger.
Specifications:
Frequency coverage – .495 - 2450 MHz, except cellular;
Modes – Wide FM, Narrow FM and AM.
Size: 2-1/2" W x 5-1/2" H x 1-1/2" D. "
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
That 120V replacement is for reading not illuminating rooms.

That 2 LED 9V light looks interesting and I might go for one. I get the catalog as well.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
>That 2 LED 9V light looks interesting and I >might go for one. I get the catalog as well.

Yeah, but did you see the price..and check out the price for that 9 VDC battery!

Albany Tom

Enlightened
Off topic, but more info on the scanner:

That's an ICOM. They make great amateur radio gear, among other things.

http://www.icomamerica.com/index.html

see Recievers, handheld

AES is a dealer, you may find good prices here. AES is pretty popular with hams, too, good reputation. (looks like $349.99)

http://www.aesham.com/

back on topic:

That LED light thing looks a LOT like a blinking IR LED light the military uses as a marker/ID light. Looks like something fun to build...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Regarding the scanner, Ccrane and other authorized dealers in the U.S. sell the "Blocked" version. I searched for and bought the "Unblocked" version.

So...what the heck does that mean? Well in the good ol' U.S., the FCC requires certain frequencies "Blocked" such as cellular phone ranges and secret government frequencies, certain military aircraft frequencies etc.

If you do buy one of these, buy the international "unblocked" version (hard to find)so there are no hidden frequencies. Through research, I found that owning the unblocked version is not illegal, just listening to certain frequencies will be illegal so make sure you don't listen in on those secret FBI guys running around your neighborhood and you'll be fine.

Call or look for a Canadian dealer, they can sell you unblocked versions. I got mine from a Hong Kong Dealer.
grin.gif
And wipe the smile off your face when you walk around the neighborhood scanning for videos and find one in your neighbor's ....er....well I'll leave it at that
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Albany Tom

Enlightened
I believe they only block the analog cell phone frequencies. (At least that's all they used to block.) All the "spy stuff" should be digital anyway, as are most/all new cell phones here, so it's actually not that big of a deal. Besides, most undercover types are smart enough to know that scanners exist. Many use Nextel digital phones for sensitive communication. It's the people that write the laws that are the idiots. That said, I do own a couple of unblocked (pre-ban, if you will) scanners.

Oh, and I don't think you're allowed to listen to your neighbor's cordless phones, either. Go figure.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah weird. The digital stuff is all hype. I've listened to my own cell phone, supposedly GSM Digital 1900MHz. I think by "secure digital" they mean no one can make calls using your ESN. Most Police departments do not have the funding to encrypt their radio transmissions. All they can do is have the FCC ban certain Freqs from scanners.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Before the 2.4 Ghz phones came out, I bought several "Secure Digital" cordless phones and proceeded to check them out on a scanner that could pick up 800-900 Mhz.

I finally found one that couldn't be scanned (at least with that particular scanner) and that's the one I kept.

Since, the 2.4 Ghz spread spectrum phones have come out...(much higher frequency range than your typical "affordable" scanner can pick up - oh that's right, they're all "blocked"
wink.gif
- tons of mods available on the web, spread spectrum - the conversation is spread out over many different frequencies...) You're pretty safe/secure with these phones...I thought I saw a new lot out with higher frequencies at one of the warehouse stores?

Rotten Ron

Newly Enlightened
I just sent my Icom R3 in for repair. It was missing 23.000 and 24.ooo frequencys roughly. had it for 1 week. Yahoo has a great forum on the icom. Dont believe all the hype . It dont pick up race track freqs. guys a lot more informed than me have said maybe 10 years ago it would pick up racecar stuff. Any how some guys want to sue Icom for false advertising. I have had main technical service guy (Mike) aviod me for 6 or 7 days untill groveenterprises 15 day warranty had expired. Its nothing as advertised. Check yahoo posts(dont know how to put upa link) and see. If u notice there is not many buttons you have to buy their software to program it if not its a total pain, Especially being my first real scanner.

The directions on page 21setting scan edges is not right,mike sent me new directions that didnt work either. What is cool is the direction finderand the band scan,great tv Picture,sound,Lithium Ion battery lasts about 1hr45mins watching color TV(15hrs to charge with supplied charger) and about 23hrs just using LED screen. You cant charge unit and watch TV at sametime with threir supplied charger.It is supposedly deaf in the 2.4GHZ range.what I do like is it replaces my bearcat scanner, casio color 2in TV,and AM FM radio in my bug out bag freeing up much needed space.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I think there is currently only one cordless phone that cannot be intercepted. Spread Spectrum just means they change channels alot. Something like once every 5 seconds to keep eavesdroppers at bay. The new Trunk Tracking scanners can keep up with the channel changing.

The only phone that I know of is made by Panasonic which actually encrypts the voice before sending it out into the airwaves. So when you scan it, it sounds like a couple of aliens talking.

The only real danger of getting scanned is that when you access your bank account, credit card account, voicemail, or anything that requires a "pin", the DTMF tones can be recorded. That can be played back (or with a DTMF decoder it can numbers can be decoded from tones) and your account can be accesssed. Other than that, scanners just get your dirty little secrets on the phone.
rolleyes.gif

Empath

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Surefire M6:
Police departments do not have the funding to encrypt their radio transmissions. All they can do is have the FCC ban certain Freqs from scanners.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Listening to police transmissions isn't banned. The only thing banned is listening to phone calls and transmissions requiring decoding.

The progression of the law was thus:

1)You may listen freely to any transmission, but you could not relay the content to a third party nor make use of the information for illegal activity.

Then, after the introduction of the cellular systems the law was changed to:

2) You may listen freely to any transmission with the exception of cellular telephone calls, provided you didn't defeat encoding in the transmission without license or permission from the party encoding.

A few years later it was amended to:

3) You may listen freely to any transmission with the exception of all wireless telephone calls, provided you didn't defeat encoding in the transmission without license or permission from the party encoding.

The encoding referred to deliberate obfuscation of content to maintain privacy. It doesn't refer to technically enhanced systems like trunking that may require more sophisticated equipment.

Other countries will have different laws.

Actually, this wouldn't be a bad topic for the Cafe, particularly since it's getting a bit away from LED lights and the 2 LED unit topic of the thread.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

True True. But it had a fluid progression from the original topic. Scanning police frequencies is not banned, but police departments use "secret" frequencies that scanners cannot have legally. They use these for drug raids and such so they do not tip off the bad guy.

Empath

Flashaholic
It looks like I've been out of touch too long. The Electronics Communications Privacy Act was expanded in 1994, dictating that in addition to normal commercial broadcasts, only the following receptions are permissible.
frown.gif

a) a communication relating to ships, aircraft, vehicles or persons in distress;

(b) a broadcast by any governmental, law enforcement, civil defense, private land mobile or public safety communications system, including police and fire;

(c) transmissions on the amateur bands, citizens band or general mobile radio services as well as any marine or aeronautical communications system;

(d) satellite transmissions of cable programming as long as the transmission is not encrypted, there is no monetary gain by the viewer, and there is no marketing system available (meaning no one is selling the rights to view the programming via satellite).

(e) a radio transmission which is causing interference with any lawfully operating station (including ham radio operators), or is causing interference with any consumer electronic equipment, to the extent necessary to identify the source of the interference.

Monitoring of any other transmissions not intended for public access is prohibited. The manufacture of receivers capable of receiving the frequencies are not prohibited with the exception that they can't contain the common cellular frequencies.

The new video receiving scanner from CC Crane is legal to manufacture and sell, but the use of it for receiving "not for public" video transmission is illegal.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
$34.95????????????????? D~:}

I made my own direct 9v twin LED and it didn't cost me but about $5 total! And that's a generous figure too! $34.95 is a bit steep, I think.

Latest posts