Surefire M3-CB + Pila probs: photos added

chrisWELD

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

trying to get my M3 (with cren bezel) to work on 2 Pila 150S but no joy - 4-5mm longer than 3x123. The Pila's appear to have come charged, as charger went from red to green within a couple of mins.

I was shipped a couple of springs too, but not sure what to do with them - am I supposed to replace the springs on the lamp assemblies (mn10/11)?

I also read on the "Pila for newbies" thread that some have had to loosen the bezel also?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Chris

Topper

Flashaholic*
Re: Problems: M3-CB with 2xPila150S?

Hi Chris, The spring wraps around the spring on the lamp assembly you do not take any springs off. Try that and I think you will be good to go.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

chrisWELD

Newly Enlightened

Thanks Topper, but I've tried that already and still no joy.

I've also tried unscrewing the bezel to various degrees too, but also without a result.

At the moment I've left the extra spring in place and have gone back to 3x123's until I get some more advice... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Cheers Topper,

Chris

flash99dark

Newly Enlightened

Hello Chris,

I use Pila 150s in Surefire P9 (P6+A19 extender) my tan Gs and
red led KLH3 head and lastly in my Nuwau ALX-352L 5w Led (with
magnet 1/8" added to + head. I was about to consider buying either a Surefire M3 or a Surefire L6 but only if they would use, Pila 150S batterys. This is not good news and I will be
looking for a work around for this myself....hang in there there has to be a way that someone will find out...william

chrisWELD

Newly Enlightened

Thanks William /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm certain I've read on cpf that loads of other folks use the M3 with Pila 150S's. There must be some trick to it...

Anyone out there know what it is?

Chris

chrisWELD

Newly Enlightened
Still having Problems: M3-CB with 2xPila150S

bump...

spring's in place but no light...

if anyone's had similar experience and has a solution...?

Thx,

Chris

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Re: Still having Problems: M3-CB with 2xPila150S

Chris,

Do you have any other Surefire tailcaps that will fit? I had one L6 tailcap that wouldn't work with one L6 body. I switched tailcaps with a L5/M3/Z48 HA/SW02 and all of the other combinations work great. I only had this happen with the one body & tailcap. When I used any other tailcap with the problem body it worked and when I tried any other body with the problem tailcap it worked. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

I also read that the bezel or tailcap had to be screwed out a little with the L6, but I never had to do that. I did try it, but it wasn't needed and didn't help the one time I had trouble making contact.

The only other thing I can think of would be for you to get your bezel as tight as is reasonably possible. One of my PR/E2e/Pila needs the bezel very tight to work.

I damaged a Pila 168S by trying to use a magnet to get contact with a E2e/KL1/Pila. The positive contact bent in to the point it wouldn't work in some lights.

Topper

Flashaholic*

Sorry I do not have the M3 I did notice once with my L6 The extra spring actually road up onto the front cell and I had to pull it off. I use 150's in lots of stuff and Chris stated he read threw the Pila's for newbies thread started by Jon in the Dealers Corner and it covers alot of good info. Have you any other lights to try them in?
I am stumped at this point.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

I have a M3 also M3T/M4/L4/L5/L6/U2/C3 etc. They normally work great. My best guess is the tailcap isn't making contact for some reason.

Topper,

I've also had the spring grab the Pila, but it doesn't seem to matter.

chrisWELD

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the advice guys - very much appreciated.

I think you're probably right about it being the tailcap, as the alignment was off in the first place - eg the momentary works before the notches line up and full-time contact is made with less than a quarter turn past the notch line-up.

This is my first Surefire and I'm v v happy with it otherwise, but I guess I'll have to order and wait for another M sized tailcap (I bought my wife and E1E as a fun Xmas pressie but obviously that's not a go-er in this instance!).

Maybe I'll use the opportunity to get a Z48 clickie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks again,

Chris

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

The way the notches line up (or don't line up) doesn't mean anything.

chrisWELD

Newly Enlightened

Thanks Hoghead /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've also tried fiddling with the batt contact springs both in the LA and the existing tailcap - compressing them a little so that when I drop the Pilas in they appear to take up less room. Apart from some intermittent light when I unscrew the tailcap to a partic distance AND press the momentary button in at a particular angle, no light. Certainly doesn't work at all if I screw down the tailcap fully...

I've ordered a z48 which'll hopefully arrive tomorrow. Fingers crossed...

Chris

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

Please let us know if the tailcap fixed the problem.

chrisWELD

Newly Enlightened
Nope - tailcap didn't do it. Photos of lamp assembly with added spring attached below:

M3_hola_pilasrping.jpg

M3_hola_pilasrping2.jpg

M3-CB_Z48.jpg

I found that if I left the tailcap in ON position, then twisted the whole tailcap between lockout and active, then occasionally it works, so maybe the additional spring that I have is not right or is not making good contact with the lamp assembly's outer spring.

I'm going to order a spring from JS Burley later today. Hopefully that'll do the trick.

Chris

Blikbok

Enlightened
My M3T needed the spring from JSBurley to operate 100%.
It also made my C3+Pilas run 100%

pyro

Enlightened
Try without switch!
insert the batteries and close the circuit with some wire.

I use 2x 168A or 2x 18650 in a bored out M3/M3T with bored
out A19 without aditional springs.
To make that work i had to enlarge the bottom part of the
spring with pliers.

I also have a Z58 that works NOT with this combinaton,
unless i increase the length of the light by leaving a
3mm gap between body and A19.
This is because the pila cells are longer then regular
cells, and the Z58 doesn't screw down completely because
of this.

flash99dark

Newly Enlightened
Chris,
I just opened my M3 (it appears that they sent me a CB bezel,oh well) I put on a Z58 clickie and added one of Jon's springs.
The crunching sound and getting the whole thing to close makes me a bit queasy. I guess I will have to play around with the various suggested combos....but the whole key to getting the
two 150s to work appears to be the spring...Chris get several as more on hand, postage etc.,.....I will keep you
posted on if this continues to work for me.....william

pizzajoe62

Newly Enlightened
hope this will help...try putting in the 150s cells w/ the negative end toward the LA.
this is how PILA recommends using the cells in their G3R model.

joe